.30 Carbine Blackhawk v. .327 Fed Mag Blackhawk

There's half a dozen reasons why the Single Seven is a better option than any 30 or 357 revolver.
Well, the only relevant one that comes to my mind right now is the potential for a higher capacity cylinder. What might the other five reasons be? Reasons that aren't trivial, like perhaps using very slightly less powder; enlighten me.

I bought 3 boxes of these puppies and had a very short opportunity to put a VERY few down range. I shot 6 and was able to keep them is a 1.5" group. I must qualify this ... I used optics + a sand bag on a bench.

I don't believe the 2100 ft/sec on the box though. Apparently, neither do the folks at Buffalo Bore:

We ran out of case/powder capacity before we could reach the advertised velocity of around 2100 fps, but still, this load is using a bullet that is 15grs. heavier than the standard 110gr. bullets, at or faster than the velocity that most 110gr. bullets are generating.

large_426_46D_Large.png

Well, the only relevant one that comes to my mind right now is the potential for a higher capacity cylinder. What might the other five reasons be? Reasons that aren't trivial, like perhaps using very slightly less powder; enlighten me.
Weight and bulk. The Single Seven is significantly smaller and lighter than the large frame Blackhawk 30 Carbine.

Rimmed case (over the 30). Give me a rim and a firm roll crimp every time.

Higher pressure range (over the 357). The 357 has been neutered and standard weight bullets are now running 1200-1300fps. The 327 gets a 100gr up to 1600fps.

Less recoil (over the 30) for bullets of the same sectional density.

Shoots faster, flatter and hits harder (over the 357) for bullets of the same weight.

More bullets available (over the 30) that will actually work within its velocity range.

The ability to shoot 32 ACP, 32 S&W and 32 H&R in a revolver of appropriate size. Wouldn't make much sense to me to shoot 32 S&W in a 50ounce Blackhawk.

hehehe here we go again. This is what the question of the 327 mag always seems to degenerate into. A tit for tat pooping match.

It all still comes down to personal preferences.

My two favorite calibers are the two that generate the most complaints from those who have never tried them.
Or are only interested in one aspect of a option.

Versatility is king for me.
My #1 is the 327 Magnum. Not because it is the best at any one thing.
But because it is very good at allot of things.
I go out to the woods with a single 7 loaded with 4 different loads in one cylinder.
Two heavy 327 loads, Two 32mag loads and two S&W L loads and one S&W short load.
I am covered for what ever presents it self from a squirrel at close range to a ?? at max Revolver ranges.
Now if I had my way a 327 carbine would be along to handle the opportunities past revolver ranges. But for now I get by with a Savage bolt action in 32-20. Well I would not call it getting by. its a rabbit eye poker at 50-60 yards.
For CC I have a Taurus M327 in the small if my back with 6 butt whoopers loaded. Spiting out at about 1400 fps if needed.
You not going to get more versatile than that.

For the 2nd choice I choose the 300 Black out. For allot of the same reasons I choose the 327 magnum. It fill my Carbine role to a T, shoot from heavy to light from fast enough to slow and heavy.
I have a AR 15 in carbine a AR 15 in pistol and a Ruger American Hog thumper all in 300 black out.

Both of these offerings scratch the exact same itch for me.
I never get bored with ether because there is always something else to try with them.

I have about 50 fire arms in a variety of calibers and I like em ALL. But these are my favorites and most used.

Weight and bulk. The Single Seven is significantly smaller and lighter than the large frame Blackhawk 30 Carbine./QUOTE]
Well, this is a valid point. However, I have my doubts about the other points. Like operating at higher pressures; that's a negative value that means a lot more decibels at the muzzle.
Mind you, I'm on the outside looking in, as I don't have any of these calibers. The only revolver I own is a 45 Colt Vaquero, which is in a completely different league. But in my perspective, I was pointing out that the 30 Carbine and the 327 Federal, are both in the shadow of the 357 magnum in terms of achieving the widespread acceptance and popularity that would result in adequate product support. That means readily available ammo at reasonable prices and readily available firearms, including rifles and carbines. How about a Marlin 1894, (with the loading gate, thank you...), in 327 Federal to go along with your revolver? Until that happens, people like me would sooner choose the 357. The 327 Federal needs more people like yourselves to create that demand before the rest of us can consider jumping in.

I asked the folks at Buffalo Bore what they were getting (i.e., velocity) out of the Blackhawk with the 125 gr., hard cast, gas checked bullets shown above.

The answer: 1587 ft/sec.

BUFFALO BORE is worth every dime.

You couldn't make as good or powerful of ammo even if you tried. They use secret canister grade powders that aren't available to the general public, and their QC is beyond stellar.

I don't try to make ammo any better than I need. The ammo I assemble answers all of my needs in accuracy and energy. I'll never need a 30 Carbine round that cost $2. I can load a 41 mag round with stellar accuracy and a good bit more energy for less than 15 cent a round. When the bang is in my face, nobody's QC is better than my own

Well some of us aren't reloaders, kay?

For us, BUFFALO BORE is our answer to the most powerful (yet safe) ammo we can get in most any common caliber, with hot hunting and penetrator loads as well as unique defensive loads in oddball calibers that the other makers just don't pay attention to.

Well some of us aren't reloaders, kay?

WHAT!!!!! ??? hehehe sorry could not help my self.

Seriously though if your not reloading esp using non standard calibers.
Your paying way way way more than you should.
A couple of range sessions out with my single 7 and the difference in ammo cost means I can afford to buy another gun compared to some one who only buys the ammo.
Plus your missing out on 1/2 the fun of owning one of these things.

I understand though I have more than a few buddies who only shoot their guns.Usually its limited to 9mm and some 223, 7.62x39 offerings.
If the 357 mag comes out its just for a brief glimpse and maybe a box of ammo.
me I bust open the ammo can and say LETS GO!!

...in which case you absolutely deserve to pay two bucks a round for .30 Carbine ammo.

That was incredibly uncalled for. I demand an apology! :mad:

Some of us have busy schedules or live in apartments. I am currently looking at reloading .38 S&W but you don't have to be mean about it.

I didn't pay anything for shipping. I had a coupon.

Yes, I reload too but more as a hobby than a necessity. I'm always looking for new loads for my pistols and Buffalo Bore is always an interesting site to look thru. When I saw their latest wares: hard cast, gas checked, flat nose, 125 gr. bullets in .30 Carbines, I wanted to see how they perform.

I wrote to the folks at Buffalo Bore to ask what they were seeing from their rounds out of the Blackhawk: 1587 fps. I'd like to se if I can duplicate this.

If I had choice of the two Ruger Single 7 327mag .... Smaller , lighter package ..and alot of ammo options ...

But having said that .. I met a guy back in tbe early 80's that killed several whitetail with a Blackhawk 30 Carbine ... I guess he didnt know the limitations of the 30 Carbine from a Blackhawk .... More importantly.. Neither any of the Deer or hawgs he put in the freezer..

Back