30 Caliber

I made a small funnel with a cut up Dr. Pepper can and some metal duct tape. I had already cast my 30-30, so I knew how much Cerrosafe it took to do the chamber and I heated that much in a Lyman ladle with a torch and just quickly dumped it in the funnel. (Barrel was plugged with piece of cleaning patch) I'll take a pic.

17E1CDAA-62BA-4B3D-9930-FAC15E9E3BCE_zpsbbdkmqnf.jpg

10BA3811-DF03-4916-9C37-11125DF43CB4_zpsgnyucnx1.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 1/4" aluminum rod (36" long) and I put a small piece (single layer) of cleaning patch over the rod and then when I had pushed the rod to the correct depth from throat (from the muzzle end, of course), I taped the aluminum rod to the barrel while I did the pour. I hung the gun up from the roof on a wire wrapped through the trigger guard and around the stock so the rod wouldn't bang the ground.
Then, about 5 minutes after the pour, I took the rifle down and removed the tape and used the rod to tap the casting out the breech.

You can learn a lot about the throat and rifling and chamber with one. And I find it easier to do than a pound cast. No need to do one if you don't have problems. :cool:

Lee C309-120RN in .30/30

Greetings: I'm new to this site so if I don't get it right don't bury me too deep.
This isn't a reply to anyone but I have a question regarding the 120RN Lee bullet in the .30/30. Anyone have any experience with that bullet. I shoot a lot of the Lee C309-113 out of my Marlin 36ADL and #2 Lyman batter gives me a very tight grouping at 50 yards. I've taken a number of coyotes with that bullet but now just punch paper and am looking at trying some different molds. I appreciate any suggestions you may have and thank you in advance.

I'd start a new thread about this inquiry but frankly don't know how to go about achieving that.

Welcome to the forum Kalvinson, I doubt that anyone in here will be upset about the post. However for future reference to start a new thread, look just above the top left corner of where the post start and you will see a blue colored tab which reads, New Thread, just click on that and then insert your title and go from there.

Now on to the fun stuff.

I myself have the 311-120 mold, however I purchased it mainly for my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine as well as a couple of M1 Carbines. I can't say how it does out of the 30-30 yet. I DO have a Contender barrel chambered in 30-30 AI that I could use them in I just haven't had a chance to give them a try yet.

I have shot quite a few through my BH and they shoot well. I have them loaded to standard loads with no issues regarding leading. I also powder coated some of them to try in the 308 but again I haven't gotten around to those either.

I'm sure however that one of these folks has something similar if not the same which they can expand on though.

Back