30-40 Krag... obsolete??? thoughts on lack of ammo & brass???

I have not had any problem finding 30-40 ammo. Even old mil-surp in like new condition is around if you look. I burn up about 100 rds a year.

1896carbine02_zpsa4eb111f.jpg

1896carbine01_zps4856739a.jpg

ammo2_zps2980feb0.jpg

krag01.jpg

Usually around hunting season places like Cabelas stock up. It might only be 10 boxes at $40 per box but saving the brass is well worth it. I have two new boxes and cant seem to convince myself to use it.

I have an 1899 Remington Lee that was originally bought by the Michigan National Guard. My dad also has one.

Agtman - that's a handsome sporterized Krag. Does that barrel band go through the stock and connect to the sling swivel? My own choice would be to make a shorter foreend but that's just me.

Agtman - that's a handsome sporterized Krag. Does that barrel band go through the stock and connect to the sling swivel? My own choice would be to make a shorter foreend but that's just me.

Yes, that is a barrel-banded sling swivel which, by design, drops thru the stock just behind the Schnabel forend. When I sling up tight, POI seems unaffected.

This Krag is itself something of a family mystery as to who customized it, and even where or when Gramps came into it.

Matching Lyman sights - a rear aperture and a barrel-banded front sight.

Also, when's the last time you saw a custom grip cap or a knurled bolt knob on a Krag?

Last edited:
anyone tried HSM brand 30-40 Krag???

I'm looking to have matching headstamp brass when I get done... I have more R-P than anything else... I can buy R-P ammo, but the HSM is quite a bit cheaper... I've bought HSM 17 Fireball ammo, & they use R-P cases there... however R-P is the only one that I know of that made 17 Fireball brass...

if HSM is using R-P cases for the 30-40 Krag, I'd buy several 100 rounds to supplement my supply of brass... if no one knows, I may have to buy one box of ammo to see...

trying to save a little money here... thanks for post your expiriences

didn't get a reply back, so I ordered 1 box of HSM... then was in Cabelas on Sunday & saw HMS headstamp brass for sale... so I may end up having to order the Remington ammo... the box of HSM should be here early this week... worst case, I'll just sell it on my next gun show table... if it's R-P brass I'll keep it & order a couple 100 more...

Back