30-30 WCF shoulder bump

Akinswi said:
What about the adapter that 44amp mentioned? its only 34.00 seems very useful.

I have one. They are fine, though they do raise the shell holding system up, lessening the height of the tallest cartridge or the highest part of a die you can fit in the press and still have the yoke clear the top of the die. Your Co-ax is newer than mine, and I believe they have increased the yoke clearance a bit since I got mine, but I don't believe I can use my 30-06 Redding Competition Seater Die in mine with the shell holder adapter in place because it will interfere with the yoke, though it might work on yours. Also, the adapter won't solve your problem unless you grind 0.004" off the top of your conventional shell holder's deck. The Forster shell holder plates are precision ground to the same exact 1/8" thickness from the bottom surface they share with the case head as the standard shell holder's deck height has above the surface the case rests on. This had to be done to keep standard dies usable in the press. The one thing that is easier with conventional shell holders is sliding a 0.004" feeler gauge in under the case from the front. Again, you have to remove your decapping pin to do this or else, as mentioned earlier, cut a slot in the gauge (Dremel abrasive wheel can cut the hardened gauge steel) or put a hole in it (carbide drill or small grinding point).

Odds and ends:

A common reason to control the shoulder height of either a rimmed or belted case is to be able to headspace on the shoulder instead of the rim. Rim headspace ranges from 0.000 to 0.017 in the 30-30, and the sizing of the shoulder clearance is a minimum of 0.0173" (so the shoulder contact can't interfere with the rim making headspace contact forward against the rim recess in the chamber) to 0.0473" when the chamber shoulder is at maximum, and the cartridge case shoulder is at factory minimum. That's a lot of brass movement, and it will shorten case life. Headspacing on the shoulder greatly reduces the amount of case stretching that goes on and will increase case life significantly. It can also improve accuracy by having the taper of the shoulder center the neck and bullet in the throat during firing, whereas headspacing on the rim allows rim bends or other imperfections to influence what side of the throat the neck and bullet favor.

For the above reasons, plus the tendency of military chambers to be a bit loose, a lot of 3.3 British users slip an o-ring over their cases so the rim squashes it against the headspace surface in the rim recess. This holds the case back against the breech face during firing to form the shoulder forward so they can resize to headspace on the shoulder afterward.

Regarding Shoulder Bump

This is a term that has gradually come to be misused. I first heard it in the late 1980s or the early 1990s in Precision Shooting magazine. It referred to a system of resizing in which the height of the shoulder above the case head was formed lower without narrowing the sides of the case at all. In other words, it referred to shoulder-only resizing. It was used in custom rifles for which the gunsmith had taken the die blank and used the same reamer he cut the rifle's chamber with to cut the die profile. This would not size a neck down unless you cut the neck for bushings or resized the neck separately, both of which were done at times. However, most custom rifles of this sort only had half a thousandth or less of neck clearance anyway, so neck size changed very little, and you could still load and shoot using one without messing with the neck any more than a Lee Loader messes with the neck.

If you think about the geometry of a case blown out to fit the chamber, you will realize that if there is any taper to the case, "bumping" the shoulder back with this chamber-size die will actually slightly touch the sides of the case if they are expanded to full chamber diameter. And if you use a case enough times at high enough pressure, you will eventually get there. But not initially. And a 30-30 isn't running at very high rifle pressure, so, due to spring-back, the sides would be unlike to be resized at all.

Today, Forster sells their Bushing Bump Die, which is a die that resizes the neck with a bushing but is chamber diameter below the shoulder and thus "bumps" the shoulder in the original meaning. But for whatever reason, "shoulder bumping" has come to be used to refer to partially resizing the whole case just far enough so you see the head-to-shoulder length reduced a little. This was called partial resizing at one point, but "partial-resizing" is also used to describe putting a case just far enough into the die to resize most of the neck, but not enough to touch the shoulder at all, which is basically a form of neck-sizing-only, but is differentiated by leaving enough (the last 1/8" or so) of the neck fat to help center the bullet in the throat. So this business of crossing terms over to mean a couple of different things is not new.

I did try grinding off top of shell holder. It helps till I had to grind off a bit much. The lips on the shell holder are too weakened. They tore off when I ran behind lubing the brass just a little.

When I try lowering the die all the way down. Without the brass it feels bottoming out hard on the top of the shell holder. But with a brass in the die, there is gap of 5 to 10 thous easily. The press flexes under the tremendous load. I can go down 1/16 to 1/8 of a turn further down if needed.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I do have to wonder if its worth it, bothering to get a few thousandths of anything the regular FL sizer die won't do, particularly in a .30-30, such as a Win 94 or Marlin 336.

Sure, if you've got a gun capable of using all the minutiae possible in handloading, go for it, but I think benchrest care on a minute of whitetail woods carbine is a game of diminishing returns.

Friend of mine looks at some of the advice about making "hyper accurate" ammo, and asks, ok, now how does that put a elk in my freezer using my Savage 99??

It doesn't.

And, I can't say I disagree with him. Lots and lots of game has been taken for generations by people with guns that didn't shoot MOA, people who never worried about shoulder bump, or even how far in front of the bullet the lands are.

If you're playing a game where that matters, with equipment it can matter with, go for it. If you're loading for Grampa's ole .30-30 lever gun, I don't see where its worth the trouble, if you're getting acceptable results with "ordinary" reloads.

But, that's just me...;)

Depends on how brass-budget-conscious you are, too. It does make cases last a long time. Some of the benchrest guys not shooting too hot could coax upward of 50 reloads out of their favorite cases.

To me, It is not about accuracy. It is about being cheap and capable of improvising.

.303 British, some say the brass is only good for a few loads. Mine go over 20. I don't have .30-30. I may not do the same there though as the pressure is low and lever action can use a bit more head clearance for the action to work smoothly.

-TL

Im trying to bump the shoulder on my 30-30 cases by 4 thousandths, the issue is I have no more die turn on my Forster Coax press.

The die is screwed down as far as I can go before it starts hitting the the jaws on the coax . It hasnt bumped the shoulder any.

Im using a RCBS Full length Resizing Die. Iam using a forster lock ring.

Suggestions
The way I interpret this tells me your die is already set for full length sizing, but your chamber is such that the brass isn’t stretching enough to notice any difference in the shoulder when resizing, correct? If so then the easiest way to change this would be to grind a little off the base of the die. Personally, I wouldn’t mess with it as long as they keep chambering okay, once they stop chambering I’d try resizing and see what happens. Basically the amount of spring back is probably sufficient enough to already provide the benefit of bumping the shoulder, until it finally stretches after numerous reloads at which time full length resizing might accomplish what you need getting maximum brass life.

Thanks for the replies, When time and space premits, I will set up my old Lee Single stage press and do some re-sizing. I shouldn’t have any issues with that press with the rcbs shell holders and dies

You mean you are trying to adjust your sizing dies. Try a different press. I find my Lee Hand Pesses to be extremely useful. I also have a Redding Single Stage bolted to a tree trunk section in my garage.
Agree !
One of the most useful tools on my bench is the Lee Hand Press ... perfect for little odd jobs ... the thing was so handy I bought a second and now have one for each hand !
Gary

If the bottom of the die hits the top of the shell holder, a different press wouldn't help. You must change those two parts in question; the die or the shell holder.

Competition shell holders and shimming is changing the shell holder. Shortening the die is changing the die.

-TL

Tang, The Coax doesnt use a shell holder , thats my issue, I have reloaded hundreds of 30-30 on my old lee press no issues

Coax (I am using one) doesn't have the conventional shell holder. The "jaws" have deck height of 1/8", which is the same as a conventional shell holder.

Perhaps the jaws on your coax have higher deck? Shimming is awkward on coax. Grind the jaws is more difficult too. That narrows down to shortening the die.

-TL

That narrows down to shortening the die.

OR, simply using a different press with the same die and the proper shellholder, which he already knows does work properly. Set up the press and "batch size" ALL the available brass with it. Then, if he wants to finish loading on the Co-Ax that should be fine.

Applying a surface grinder to the Forster plates hadn't occurred to me. You would grind the bottom sides so as not to thin out the little lips on the top that hang onto case rims. The plates will lift a little higher off the bottom in hanging onto the case during withdrawal of a case from a resizing die, and if you narrow them too much, that might start letting cases pull loose. But I doubt 0.004" would do that. I bet you could call Forster and ask if they offer that as a service. There is a good chance they've been asked to do it before. With an unlimited budget, one could collect a set in 0.001" or 0.002" increments to act backwards from Redding Competition Shell Holders.

30-30 brass is thin. Full- length resizing will cause considerable stretching. Stretching will require trimming. 30-30 brass can "grow" a lot with full-power loads.
I prefer to neck size my 30-30 brass using a Lee die. I only full-length resize a casing if it gets difficult to chamber.

That growth tends to be an issue with all rimmed and belted rifle cases, even when they are not thin. The reason is that they are designed to keep control of headspace at the rim or belt, and that fit has a tolerance. To prevent the case shoulder from hitting the chamber shoulder before the rim or belt find its headspacing surface, they made the standard dimensions to ensure the biggest headspace doesn't allow a case with a minimum rim and a maximum case head-to-shoulder dimension to touch a minimum length chamber shoulder. The shoulders of the case and chamber both have a tolerance on top of that which makes the average gap even bigger.

When you let the tolerances accumulate, you find a 30-30 case with a minimum tolerance shoulder and a maximum tolerance rim in a chamber with a minimum headspace and a maximum shoulder (this would be the fault of the reamer maker, though, and is not very probable), you would have a whopping 0.047" of shoulder clearance. If I use average numbers in the SAAMI drawing, I still get 0.0273" of shoulder clearance. Compare these numbers to what you see with a .308 Winchester, where the average clearance of a newly manufactured case with a head-to-shoulder dimension that is about -0.003" below headspace GO gauge size and fired in a new commercial chamber with headspace about +0.002" over the minimum, the case only has 0.005" total growth space for the head to shoulder dimension.

It is all that extra shoulder growth combined with resizing down to get SAAMI standard shoulder clearance space back that causes the resizing die to extrude the case mouth so far forward. If, instead, you either use the neck sizing option Totaldla mentioned (though it may not be feed friendly in all lever guns) or you simply size enough to push the shoulder back a couple of thousandths like you would with a rimless bottleneck case that headspaces on the shoulder, you will tame the excessive growth.

Back