30-30 for trophy hunting?

Back about 30 years ago (Before I got rich:D ) the only gun I could afford was a marlin 30-30.
It put meat on the table until my first son got old enough to hunt, and he past it on to my second son, and he past it on to my daughter.
It has yet to kill some kind of deer every year for the last 30 years.
It doesn't look to good, but it still continues to kill a deer every year.
I don't see why it couldn't be used on about any game you can get close enough to shoot. The way it looks, I could not get $25.00 for it, but it is worth it's weight in gold to my daughter. She also has a 7mm-08, but she takes her 30-30 every year.

md1.jpg

Most of my friends hunt mulies each Fall with 270, 25-06, or other flat shooting rifles. Yet typically, I still slay mulies with my older 30-30 carbine. I enjoy hunting very much and stalking to get within range is very enjoyable to me.

30-30 is a keeper!
Jack

Maybe the deer nowadays are a lot tougher than they used to be, but for years the 30-30 was king. Shots inside of 200yards used to be as good as dead, out to 350 you had to know the range pretty well because of the trajectory. Magnums mostly just make it easier to hit at long range (flatter trajectory). Oh yeah, and they help sell guns, too.

Of course, now that the deer are bulletproof, only a (insert favorite number here) super magnum will kill them. Only problem is nobody told the deer they're not supposed to die when you poke 'em with a 30-30. Or a 44-40, or whatever. I still shoot my 7X57 and love it. And I don't miss very many meals, either.

I remember reading once to make sure your rifle had 600 ft-lbs at whatever range you were shooting to ensure clean, one shot kills. Pretty soon it became 1000 ft-lbs. Pretty soon it was absolutely required to have at least 1000 ft-lbs at whatever range or you wouldn't kill the deer at all! I wonder how those guys ate back when 45 caliber muzzleloaders shot a 180 gr roundball at 600 ft/second? If you do the math, the animals were safe (280 ft-lbs at the muzzle). Also, if you check, you only need 28 ft-lbs to pierce hide, 80 ft-lbs to break bone, so theoretically you could kill deer with a 22 LR, which a lot of poachers did (and likely still do). Lucky nobody told the deer.

Hunt with whatever you enjoy hunting with! Do it safely and aim well. Enjoy your meal.

Re:scorch

Here in California our deer are into BALCO products. They saw what it could do for ball players. The added bulk makes bullet penetration porblematic at best. They have also developed nasty personalities.

The Ol Lever Action

When I was young I was the last in our little group to not go to the .308, the .270, or the 30-06, from a lever action rifle.
Seems I was the one calling them, to see if they needed a little venison.

along those lines, 2 days ago, I was a fly on the wall in a gun store, and the prospective buyer with his girlfriend asked the salesman about a rifle for deer hunting, and specifically about the remaining Win 70s - good choice I thought, then he said, do you have one in .300 WSM? I mentally shook my head, thinking poor choice. I just mentally picture these guys who are casual shooters and hunters, going to the range and getting their shoulders blasted by the first few rounds, then saying "damn, that's close enough" after 5 rounds of attempt to get a good zero, then going home. It's no wonder people have to have the sales clerks put a bore sighting on the rifle when they buy a new one - every shot not fired is a blessing! :eek:

I'm still looking for a good deal on a used marlin 336 - so I can have my ".30-30 magnum". ;)

Has anyone seen or tried the new "LEVERevolution" ammo by Hornady? The 30-30 load looks interesting on paper.

rlong,
First off welcome to the forum.

I have not used any of the new hornady ammo yet, but they tell a pretty good story.
Supposed to be safe in tubular feed rifle, 2400fps, 160grain bullet.Thats not bad for a 30-30.
I'll probably try some, and I'll bet if you own a 30-30, you will probably try some to.:D

So... .30-30 for bigger game hunting.

Not 200lb whitetail or black bear, but Arizona Elk.

Granted, bigger is better (especially at +100yds) and my primary rifle for this year (if drawn) is a .308.

But...Am I irresponsible for considering a .30-30 as my second weapon in case anything happens to my 308? It's the only other rifle I have (other than .22LR).

I have 2 30-30's, a 1970's model with iron sights and a brand new '06 with a swift 3-9x40 mounted up top. It is surprisingly accurate. I didn't measure, but 3-shot group all inside the bull, holes touching each other while I was standing at 50 yards. I didn't run out to 100 yards.

So, can I do it fellas? I haven't had the fortune to bag any big game yet in my very young hunting career. Only bunnies and birds so far. Haven't been drawn for deer or elk yet, only javelina and black bear. Didn't get either of those when I went out.

Elk and .30-30?

I don't know why you couldn't use a 30-30 on elk. Elmer Keith (you remember him of 44 mag and 45-70 revolver fame) used to say the best rifle for elk was a 25-35. As long as you don't try to shoot through the shoulderblade or take them head-on, it will kill them. I'd make sure to use 170 gr bullets, and don't expect them to drop in their tracks, but a lung shot or two should make them lay down after a minute or so.

I have a Savage Model 340 boltie in .30-30 That I got from my dad. It is well over 50 years old. The iron sights were barely adjustable so I had a gunsmith friend put a scope mount and a 4X fixed power scope. I hand loaded some 110 gr Hornady's for it. It's not perfect but at 100 yards everything is inside the 8 Ring....And, in one of the luckiest shots I have ever seen, I saw a guy hit and kill a 250 pound hog on the run (running away from him)at over 200 yards using a Model 94 Winchester in .30-30...

First Freedom,
I work in a sporting goods shop and we have customers all the time asking for rifles in the short magnums and regular magnums. (We stock none, though I keep telling my superiors to get the buyer to get us some! We'd sell them easily enough. Whether or not they are necessary is another matter. ;) ) Early this year the .325 WSM was the one everybody was looking for. Must be a lot of local guys going out West elk hunting or something to need that kind of firepower!

Yet oddly enough we still sell .30-30s fairly regularly. Marlins only now, no more Winnies left in stock. They're reasonably priced, lightweight and cheap to shoot. I actually kind of want one myself, but have a .44 Magnum Marlin already and can't justify the .30-30 at the moment.

30-30

My Father had a 30-30. When I became old enough to hunt deer, he took me hunting. I had never even fired the gun but had used a 22 single shot quite a lot. Well that first day I killed 2 deer with the first 2 shots I had ever fired with the gun.

I soon afterwards bought my own 30-30 carbine. I started to reload for it and shot the 30-30 the way most kids shoot a 22. Squirrels, Chucks, deer, elk, rabbits, magpies, no problem. The real trick is simply shooting enough to learn what the gun can do and where to expect it to hit at various ranges.

As for a gun to use in close cover, it's hard to beat. Light and quick to point and hitting a deer under 75 yards with open sights is a piece of cake.

Does it have enough killing power? Consider this: The largest Grizzly bear ever killed was killed with a 25-35. ( Do A Google search for Old Ephriam)

I am not suggesting that the 30-30 is the best deer rifle ever, but in the hands of a good shot it will put the meat on the table. I now use a 270 for deer hunting and appreciate the flat trajectory, but my custom rifle weighs 9 pounds. Quite a load compared to packing the little carbine.

i own a marlin 336 in 30-30 and it is topped by a set of see-thru rings and a 3-9x40 tasco it cant be beat for deerr it has been around for many years and killed many deer

People who believe the .30-30 is not adequate for deer size game to 200 yards either has very little experience with the caliber or is a mediocre marksman. It also does very well on feral hogs here in Texas.

In addition to several more powerful centerfire rifles, I have always owned a Model 94 in this caliber and it does its part if I do mine.

most caliburs can take down a white tail easy enough, personaly i have 2 30-06s i use remington 760 and a 7400, have used a .270 (rem 760) and even a wingmaster 870 with slugbarrel a few times...
I always recomend any of the following and have seen them all used .270, .30-06, .30-30, .303 brit , and .35 whelen... lots of bullets can do it if placed properly, i like these ones though cause ammos easy to find in my area..:)

oh and on a side note, i know a kid my age that will never step away from his .30-30 and has always had luck with it, i have always used .30-06 and never had a problem, its all what you were raised with and get used to...:P

It is amazing how many people trash the 30-30 as a deer rifle. Are you saying a .30 caliber rifle can't take down deer reliably? The 30-30 definitely has the power just not the range. Used within its limitations it is an excellent deer rifle. 90% of deer are taken within 200yds you know. It is actually somewhat silly to take a shot longer than 400yds no matter what you have. You should always try to get in closer. In wooded country shots are typically less than 100yds and a good hunter can stalk to within handgun range.

Back