30-30 for target shooting

The .30-30 cartridge is very accurate. The 336? Not so accurate.

I shoot the .30-30 in my T.C. Contender in 200 yard bench rest pistol matches. It is a very rare occasion that I do not hit the chipmunk. The chipmunk would be pretty safe if I were shooting at him with my 336. :D I might hit his friend instead.;)

Throwing Down the Gauntlet....

Jmr40, could you please elaborate on the, "truth", of your comments:
The 30-30 cartridge was obsolete 3 years before it was introduced. It was a step backwards in cartridge development. It has survived primarily because of the starring role lever action rifles got in the classic western movies beginning in the 1920's.
These, "truths", are certainly stretched, but I know you can support them, 'cuz you're good...;)

All rifles are target rifles. Some are better for one kind of target, while the next rifle is better for an entirely different target.

To kinda get back on track here... I want a 30-30 lever gun for mostly plinking out on BLM territory, shooting out to 100, 200 yds... I don't want to hassle with a scope and I enjoy the challenge of iron sights. If I can hit a standard paper silhouette target at that range I'll be happy.

I went by the local Sportsman's Warehouse to have a look at the (Remington) Marlin 336. Was not impressed. The whole thing just screamed "chintzy." Today I went by the LGS which deals 80% of the time in used firearms, and there it was: a 1978 336 in 30-30. Traded my 9mm towards it, along with $125 out of pocket, and took 'er home. First used gun I have ever bought. Always too hung up on "it has got to be new, or forget it." Probably missed out on some good used firearms over the years because of that mantra.

Sorry for deviating from my original question about 30-30 as a target round. I guess I am fixin' to find out and looking forward to it.

I expect you will be happy with it. I've kind of had the opposite attitude, that if it isn't vintage, it's probably inferior in some way.

What kind of distance can I expect from off the shelf ammo in this caliber?

Should be good for a mile and a half, meybe even two miles with the right abount of holdover :D

Why couldn't a 30-30 be a good target gun? If one reloads hornady gmx bullets I don't know why one couldn't expect good accuracy. It seems that maybe the 30-30's reputation suffers from being used in levers that aren't usually scoped and so people and shorter sight radius'? I've heard the same thing about the 7.62x39 Russian as being an inheritantly inaccurate round but I've found that not to be the case when one puts some effort into a good platform and reloading.

Most 30-30s are found in lever guns. They normally have slightly oversized chambers and a rear lock up on the bolt. They also have a tube under the barrel that exerts pressure on the barrel. The pressure is reduced as the gun is fired and the tube gets lighter from the rounds being used up. The guns are designed to be reliable and accurate enough for deer hunting. I have on a few occasions got around 1" groups with Marlin 336s. But that was the exception and not the rule. The normal groupings are around at least 1.5" and more likely 2.5" at 100 yards. Plenty good for shooting deer.

I have read an article by John Wooters and he used a Remington 788 bolt action with spitzer bullets and got less than 1" groups with several loads.

The round can be accurate in the right platform. But there are much better guns for target shooting. And I am a real 30-30 fan. Its one of my favorite rounds and I will buy any 30-30 I can get a deal on. But I know the best use for them.

Your Marlin will be fine for casual open sight shooting. A receiver peep sight will help but I don't know if they were still drilled and tapped for it as late as 1978.

You may want a recoil pad. The .30-30 is not a Monster Magnum, but the gun is light and the butt is narrow.

"...bolt action 30-30's that exist..." Mostly(and sadly) not made any more. At least not the most common tack driver by Savage. If you can find a Savage M340 in decent condition grab it.
"...a 30-30 be a good target gun..." Lever action triggers and factory sights are decidedly poor. From any maker. Like Pathfinder45 says, all rifles are target rifle, but not all of 'em are match rifles.

Back