30-30 for target shooting

fotojake

I'm looking to get a Marlin 336c in 30-30, mostly for target shooting. Maybe hunting down the road... What kind of distance can I expect from off the shelf ammo in this caliber?

As an aside, how do the current 336s rate? Is Marlin, or whomever is really manufacturing the 336, putting out a decent product?

Thanks.

This is a tough one. I would consider the 30-30 a short to mid range gun. I've had 3 over the years but I wouldn't take longer shots with it. This ballistics chart shows the drop off. http://gundata.org/blog/post/30-30-ballistics-chart/

After 350 it drops like a rock. I would probably limit myself to 200 yards or consider a different or second longer range caliber.

Still not giving up my 30-30's.

I shoot paper to 200 with open sights. That's about all I am good for.

Edit to add: I do not own any Marlin 30-30. I did have one in the 70s, but traded it.

The only one I have now is M1893 chambered for 38-55.

I have 2 Henry 30-30s that are better shooters than I am.

Last edited:
Distance:
With iron sights, 100-200 yards (or less, depending upon your eyesight).
With magnification, 300+ yards.

Quality:
Remington has greatly improved the appearance of the current production Marlin rifles; but there are still constant reports that internals still have issues, parts aren't hardened correctly, and a huge number of brand new rifles have to immediately go back for repair.

The best option for a Marlin 336 right now, is to look through the used rifle racks in local shops; or find something online.
You'll want 2008 or older. (First two characters in serial number can be anything except 90, 91, MR, or MM.)
Most people will say to just look for the Marlin "JM" stamp on the barrel, but there were plenty of Remington-built rifles that used JM-stamped barrels; and there are some older Marlins now wearing REP (Remington) -stamped barrels (I own both options, myself). So that's hardly useful advice.

I've read that Remington made Marlins are not as good as older models. Don't know if that's true or just the internet complaining about change.

imho these are guns that are sturdy enough that there's not a lot of reason to buy new anyway.

For target shooting you might be able to get away with 500yd or longer shots because you're shooting a know ranges. The typical .30-30 bullet is not the most accurate thing in the world so accuracy isn't going to be as good as a spire point.

Leverevolution from Hornady supposedly addresses that problem.

The largest obstacle in 30-30 is the tubular magazine. You have to use blunt nose bullets and they have to be crimped to survive the magazine. Somebody used to make one with a rotary magazine that could use pointed bullets (Savage maybe?) and a 150 grain bullet was a real eye opener in that gun. My dad had one and one of my brothers must have gotten it.

Somebody used to make one with a rotary magazine

Savage model 99.

If you reload you can always use pointed bullets as a single shot and people will flip out thinking you're crazy and other choice words. Then someone will mention the bolt action 30-30's that exist.

odd

A 30-30 seems an odd choice as a target rifle, , as ammo, bulk ammo especially, is not really affordable or available (compared to say .223/308). Too the lever carbine is not really thought of as an "accurate" platform, though many will outshoot their owners. But hey, if it burns powder, I'm for it.

To answer the question, I've always thought the 30-30 as a 200 yd cartridge. Seems as if I've read an article or two where guys have worked up custom rifles (falling blocks) and using light slugs (110/130) used them as heavy varminters to 300.

Jake, IMO Remington's quality has been going downhill for years. I looked at a couple of new Marlins yesterday just out of curiosity....color me unimpressed. I looked at a few Remington bolt guns too...well, I'll keep my old (1963) model 700. Fit & finish are lacking in the new Marlins. Henrys are much better in that department, as far as lever actions go. And accuracy as well from what I've been told.

I will start by saying that I would not use a 30-30 as a target gun. But if you want to stretch its legs a little I would use the Hornady Lever Evolution ammo. It did make a difference in my old Marlin. I love my old Marlins and have no plan on getting rid of them but to me they are not target guns. Good luck.

I'm looking to get a Marlin 336c in 30-30, mostly for target shooting.
Do you mean actual target shooting, small groups and such, or plinking for fun?
There's a difference and the 30-30 probably isn't the ideal choice for either.
Generally not accurate enough for genuine target shooting and too much recoil for extended plinking.
So, why that particular rifle and caliber?

the 30-30 can be accurett if in the right platform, i have a navy arms imported new rolling block action barreled with a heavy ss barrel with a 1-10 twist in 30-30 and with a 12x leupold target scope will shoot bug holes at 100 yards and 1" groups at 200 yards most of the time. there just by be to many moving parts in a lever action to get the 30-30 to its full potional. eastbank.

I got good accuracy out of my 1978 vintage Marlin 336C, 100 yards, judicious handloading helps, checking the wood to metal fit, etc.

Why couldn't a 30-30 be a good target gun? If one reloads hornady gmx bullets I don't know why one couldn't expect good accuracy. It seems that maybe the 30-30's reputation suffers from being used in levers that aren't usually scoped and so people and shorter sight radius'? I've heard the same thing about the 7.62x39 Russian as being an inheritantly inaccurate round but I've found that not to be the case when one puts some effort into a good platform and reloading.

Is Marlin, or whomever is really manufacturing the 336, putting out a decent product?

I've heard they're QC has gone in recent years. Mostly fit and finishing complaints, and rough machining. I've had a couple of customers call back into the store about their guide guns with issues about the way the stock lines up/ meets the receiver.

Also how far are you planning on shooting? As other people have mentioned, you will than likely wont be inhibited in the 0-200 range. As far as hunting goes, it's adequate but less powerful than other common cartridges. That being said, more deer have probably been taken with a 30-30 than any other cartridge on earth, and I have zero proof to back up that statement:D

Henry makes quality lever guns, you could consider one of their 30-30's.

Last edited:
The 30-30 cartridge was obsolete 3 years before it was introduced. It was a step backwards in cartridge development. It has survived primarily because of the starring role lever action rifles got in the classic western movies beginning in the 1920's. Yes, even our grand fathers and great grand fathers were influenced by Hollywood.

That said it works, just like every other smokeless powder cartridge developed since the 1890's. But there were better options years before the 30-30 was introduced and certainly better options today.

You can get more accuracy, less recoil, flatter trajectory, more power and at less cost with several other options. If someone just likes the round and the rifles that it comes in ( I own more lever action 30-30's than any other rifle type BTW), it can be a fun round to use for nostalgic reasons.

Back