30-06

years ago i made a trade for a remington 788 in 22-250 and the only spare scope i had was a 4x weaver, so it was mounted and sighted in and it was a tack driver with my load of imr 4320 and a 55gr bullet and i often shot ground hogs at 400 yards with no problems. eastbank.

Technology has come a long way. every few years even. I just picked up a 3I, really extends the DNR's suggested shooting hours.

For working up loads and testing accuracy, I think about getting something I can crank up.

I hunt at 30 yards, so light and clarity is what I am after when hunting.

But a modern cheap junk scope is probably better than those old things.

Again, as for pitting, 100 yards is fairly close range for a 30-06. If that is what you hunt at, and it shoots good enough for game, than no problem. But it is the gunsmiths duty to point that out, if you asked him to inspect.

It also may effect how quickly it gets dirty, and how fast accuracy opens up. Some guns do it faster than others.

Yes it has. When I got my 2 3/4x variable's were iffy. Changing power could change point of impact. Guy's I knew zero'd in at the middle power. The adjustment's on those old scope's were not click's but rather pressure kept them where the were supposed to be. Lot of scopes back them had 1/2" adjustment's. That 1-4x scope was the first variable I'd ever bought. Wanted another 2 3/4x but they didn't have one so a settled for the 1-4x and normally keep it set on 2 1/2x. Time's have really changed since those days!

I know it is easy to spend other peoples money, but you can get a VX2 or 3, for $250-400. Just plinking, maybe doesn't matter. But the clarity and light is so much better.

A good scope, you should be able to adjust all you want. Heck they build bullet drop dials.

I would not even half-step. I'd use that rifle for hunting elk anytime. Especially elk in a forested area.

A restoration would involve a re-barrel. That means you need to have a barrel turned to the same size and contour as the one that's in the gun now. You polish it up and then take the sights and barrel band from the old barrel and install them on the new one. Blue it up and you are back to "new".

But such work will probably cost several hundred dollars, and it must be worth it to you. No one else!

3MOA for elk out to about 300 yards is just fine. From what I see in the pictures your Springfield shoots that well and maybe a bit better. In forest hunting of elk you won't get a shot longer than that in all likelihood.

As a side note, I have been hunting and killing elk all my life, and I have guided elk hunters in 3 states for many years. Until 2 years ago, I had never killed an elk past 175 yards. In fact the 2nd longest shot I had ever made in my life on an elk until 2015 was about 60 yards. Most have been at 35 yards or so.
In 2015 I killed one at about 400 yards and in 2016 (last year0 I killed a nice bull at about 180 yards. I started hunting elk when I was about 18 years old (deer when I was much younger)and I am 61 now.

So when I say I would not hesitate to hunt elk with your rifle I am 100% serious.

If you want that rifle to shoot better you may have to re-barrel it, and there are many reasons for wanting better accuracy, but I don't think general elk hunting is one of them.

Wyosmith, I couldn't rebarrel it; Paul Jaeger's name is on the barrel. I have though about a re-bore to 338-06 though. But at my age, I'm pretty sure I don't want to put up with more recoil!

I don't care if my mothers name is on it. If I felt it was shooting bad, and had the money I would.

Guy aint that famous. No Elmer Keith or Jack Oconnor. If you can find someone who knows who he is, it might have got you $100 50 years ago. But now you got a rusty gun.

My guns are for using though, for many people they are not.

The influence on gun's in America was the Jaeger family from long before Paul. Had the gun appraised in 1993 by my friend I got it from. $7,500. Think I'll leave his name on it!

I would probably sell it, and get a gun I wasn't worried about.

I would probably do it will the fire was hot. As time goes on, less, and less people may know who he is.

I don't like guns I can't modify either

I wouldn't do a damn thing to it. It shoots plenty well for the intended purpose, and unless you plan on shooting it A LOT, the barrel will outlast you, pitted or not.

It was a gift from a man who was in your words, "Like a Dad to me", I know others feel differently, but that is something you can't put a price on.

I would keep it, hunt with it, and think kindly of the man who gave it to you.

Thanks for sharing info on your rifle. it certainly is a beauty.

I completely agree with emcon5, enjoy it, shoot it, and cherish it.

+1

I'm with emcon, I wouldn't touch it. Also, vintage scope on a vintage rifle, makes sense to me. Sure, you may give up a few minutes shooting light early and late, but if one hunts vintage rifles, you can accept that, it's part of the cult.

Don Fischer

Please do a little research on Paul Jaeger and his rifles.

This man did not let an inferior product out of his shop. Please keep your rifle as is and enjoy it for what it is.

Back