30-06 Recommendations

kimber hunter

Would a Kimber Hunter fill the bill? With 'scope, loaded with sling plenty light. Might kick like a mule though......but portable and 24" tube.

I ended up ordering a HOWA barreled action from Brownell's. They had a pretty good discount and I can order the stock I want. We shall see if the recoil is too much, as I am stretching my limits. Looking at the Bell and Carlson stock, as it has a little shorter LOP and does not break the bank.

USAF Ret said:
I ended up ordering a HOWA barreled action from Brownell's.

You might want to look at some of the Stocky's brand stocks for the Howa 1500 action. They aren't more than $100 over some of the B&C options. I don't know if the LOP can be adjusted or not, might be worth an email.

You might want to look at some of the Stocky's brand stocks for the Howa 1500 action. They aren't more than $100 over some of the B&C options. I don't know if the LOP can be adjusted or not, might be worth an email.
Thanks buddy, I have them tagged on my shopping list. The stocks they have available are the lightweight carbon, which are really nice. They are about $240 more, but I love the profile on them. They are a 13.5" LOP, which works. I like about 1/4" shorter, but that is a comfortable length.

I even thought about a Boyds traditional wood stock decked with the checkering and the forend cap.

Well, I got to shoot the 06 this weekend. Recoil was super manageable. Especially with 150s. I did not get the groups I was hoping for, but only tried 4 different types of ammo. I am going to do a good copper cleaning this week. Bought 3 different loadings a Wally World to give those a try and plan on loading some 175 SMKs and 178 ELD-X with H-4350 for testing. The B&C stock is just a super fit with the 13.5" LOP. Topped it with an Arken LH4. The eye relief is not the best on the scope, so I may be changing it out with the Leupold I have on my 6.5 Creedmoor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• HOWA 30-06_Scope.jpg
    HOWA 30-06_Scope.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 77
Nice, I especially like that stock.
Thanks. It fits me perfectly. I did have to change the scope out. Just not enough eye relief. I replaced it with a Leupold 6-18x40. I would have liked a bit larger FOV, but it really has great eye relief. Nice to have on something with a bit more recoil.

Range day was good. The HOWA is picky but it's a shooter.

Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELD-X
attachment.php

Winchester Power Point 150
attachment.php

Attachments

• Hornady Precision Hunter.jpg
    Hornady Precision Hunter.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 37
  • Winchester Power Point 150.jpg
    Winchester Power Point 150.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 38
Back