30-06 Recommendations

May I ask why 30-06? I’m just interested in the case for buying a 30’06 in 2024….i also think that would greatly impact rifle choice.

May I ask why 30-06? I’m just interested in the case for buying a 30’06 in 2024….i also think that would greatly impact rifle choice.
A really valid question. I shoot a Garand in military high power matches, also have an ‘03 Springfield, so I have a lot of 30-06 around already. When I had the chance to buy a Savage 111 in 30-06 for $300, I had to jump on it. That might be the OP’s situation. But if I was starting from scratch with a 30 caliber bolt gun I sure wouldn’t pick an ‘06.

I have dies, brass, bullets and powder. Also, tons of options for bullets. I know there are a lot of better performing rounds, but I shoot out to 400 yards and it won't make that much difference for the new kids on the block.

A really valid question. I shoot a Garand in military high power matches, also have an ‘03 Springfield, so I have a lot of 30-06 around already. When I had the chance to buy a Savage 111 in 30-06 for $300, I had to jump on it. That might be the OP’s situation. But if I was starting from scratch with a 30 caliber bolt gun I sure wouldn’t pick an ‘06.
But I am choosing the 30-06.

At least a 22" barrel

Not a problem, 22" is the most common length these days.

Not over 7.5 lbs
Possible, but not common, .30-06 isn't the "glamor" round it once was you'll have to shop around

Less than $1k
New?? Used??

5/8x24 thread
That thread pitch on what?? The muzzle end of the barrel?? Something else??

MOA guarantee
Any kind of accuracy guarantee only applies to when the rifle is fired with the same ammo it was tested with by the factory. No one will guarantee accuracy with any/every kind of ammo you can shoot from the rifle.

I don't know of any production rifle that has all the features you are wanting in one package. It's possible there might be some like that which I don't know about. Good Luck with your search!

Yes, threaded muzzle for suppressor or muzzle device. That Tikka that Zoomie recommended looks like it will fill the bill. An MOA “guarantee “ is going to be rare on a sub-$1000 rifle.

Col. Townsend Whelen once said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I'm inclined to agree. That cartridge has hung around for 118 years so it must do something right. Currently, I have rifles ranging in cartridges from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby and if forced to reduce to only one? The 30-06 would be the one I keep.

Most likely it would be my J.C. Higgins M50, a rifle based on an FN Mauser action. It'd be about a pound heavier than what the OP is looking for but I'm very fond of the Mauser action. I also have a Remington M700 BDL with is closer to the weight the OP is looking for but used one apparently have become "collectors" items based on comments I've seen on another site and one can still pick up the Higgins from $500-$600 at gun shows.

I haven't looked and current models of rifles for some time as I just haven't had the need to buy another one. I have several of the M50s most of which have has work done of the stock to remove excess wood. I also have the first one I ever bought way back in the mid 1950s that is still all original. It comes closer to 9 pounds than not when scoped. One has a Butler Creek synthetic and is about 8 pounds with scope.

Years back recoil never bothered me much. I did shoot some stuff that had some very nasty kick. I'm not 30 or so years any more so an 7.5 pound 30-06 would most likely be about all I'd shoot these days. I limit shooting my .35 Whelen to checking sights and what may be shot on an elk hunt. Most shots with the 06 run with 165 gr. bullets. I never liked the 150 gr, bullets very much.

Paul B.

Thank you. I wonder if a Ruger M77 Hawkeye or m70 classic aren’t the best choices. Both are usually good shooters, wood, steel.

Bergar Sierra Wilderness
Savage 110 High Country (not less than 7.5 lbs.)

Here are a couple of rifles already threaded as well. However, there may not be enough shoulder on the barrel to properly direct thread a suppressor. You might have to use a muzzle device of some sort to mount a suppressor. The easiest way to ensure you have enough barrel dimension to properly direct thread a suppressor is to go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Savage 110 Ultra Lite

Personally if you want to shoot .30 caliber bullets suppressed, sell your brass and buy this rifle: Tikka CTR .308 Win

Last edited:
Bergar Sierra Wilderness
Savage 110 High Country (not less than 7.5 lbs.)

Here are a couple of rifles already threaded as well. However, there may not be enough shoulder on the barrel to properly direct thread a suppressor. You might have to use a muzzle device of some sort to mount a suppressor. The easiest way to ensure you have enough barrel dimension to properly direct thread a suppressor is to go with a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Savage 110 Ultra Lite

Personally if you want to shoot .30 caliber bullets suppressed, sell your brass and buy this rifle: Tikka CTR .308 Win
Thanks buddy. I got a couple of 308s. I really like the Bergara and Savage High Country.

My '06 is a re-barreled Remington 700. I have Savage 110s in 243, 260, and 6.5 Creedmoor. Today, I'd choose the Savage High Country for an '06.

I would look into the Tikka. To tell you the truth I don’t have much use for any domestic rifle these days. I’ve got pre 64 m70s, early Ruger 77s and Sako mostly, as well as several customs on 98 Mauser actions. Recently got an old Tikka m65 in .308, this gun is some kind of long range model. Got a deal on it because it was minus magazine. Unbeknownst to me a rough item to locate. I’ve only shot my hand loads for m70, 130gr Speer HPs but looks like I got a shooter. Looking for magazine see a lot of new Tikka and read they have good rep for accuracy. Mine is threaded with muzzle brake. I think if buying new bolt center fire it would be Sako/ Tikka or CZ.

Back