30-06 elk rounds

165gr or 180gr Remington Cor-Lokt. Both bullet weights are fantastic for Elk. Great ammo and fairly cheap so you can buy a few boxes and sight your rifle in. At one poimt in time it was at about $12 a box. My 1960s Savage Model 10D loves the stuff even with the 3-9x40mm Redfield scope. I have it sighted in 1" high at 100 yards, and it's dead nuts at 200. My Dad bought that rifle for $100 at a pawn shop when I was about 14 years old because it had a cracked barrel where it looked like someone tried to install or remove the front sight. We took a hacksaw to the barrel and cut it down to 20" and it shoots amazing. Even without recrowning the barrel. Not bad for the $150 we have in it. My Dad doesn't hunt much anymore but hopefully I can get him out this year. I drew a Deer and an Elk tag so hopefully we can get him one over the counter and he'll be up to going.

Sure you can get any brand of ammo for it but my suggestion is to give the Cor-Lokts a shot. Like I said get a few boxes of the same lot number and dial it in however you want it. If you want something else I also suggest Winchester Silvertips 180gr. They do cost more than the Remington but either or 165gr or 180gr will do the trick just fine. Get whatever your gun likes. Sometimes that's all it takes.

I now shoot a 375 H&H and I really wish ammo was alot cheaper. It really loves the Remington Premier 300gr Swift A-Frames but it can be a killer on the wallet at $60 a box. Might have to start reloading my own for her lol and something alot lighter for Deer and Elk. The 300gr was for Bear this year but I didn't draw a Bear tag, hopefully I'll be able to get a limited leftover with caps over the counter for the same area I'm hunting the Deer and Elk in this year.

165gr or 180gr Remington Cor-Lokt. Both bullet weights are fantastic for Elk. Great ammo and fairly cheap so you can buy a few boxes and sight your rifle in. At one poimt in time it was at about $12 a box. My 1960s Savage Model 10D loves the stuff even with the 3-9x40mm Redfield scope. I have it sighted in 1" high at 100 yards, and it's dead nuts at 200. My Dad bought that rifle for $100 at a pawn shop when I was about 14 years old because it had a cracked barrel where it looked like someone tried to install or remove the front sight. We took a hacksaw to the barrel and cut it down to 20" and it shoots amazing. Even without recrowning the barrel. Not bad for the $150 we have in it. My Dad doesn't hunt much anymore but hopefully I can get him out this year. I drew a Deer and an Elk tag so hopefully we can get him one over the counter and he'll be up to going.

Sure you can get any brand of ammo for it but my suggestion is to give the Cor-Lokts a shot. Like I said get a few boxes of the same lot number and dial it in however you want it. If you want something else I also suggest Winchester Silvertips 180gr. They do cost more than the Remington but either or 165gr or 180gr will do the trick just fine. Get whatever your gun likes. Sometimes that's all it takes.

I now shoot a 375 H&H and I really wish ammo was alot cheaper. It really loves the Remington Premier 300gr Swift A-Frames but it can be a killer on the wallet at $60 a box. Might have to start reloading my own for her lol and something alot lighter for Deer and Elk. The 300gr was for Bear this year but I didn't draw a Bear tag, hopefully I'll be able to get a limited leftover with caps over the counter for the same area I'm hunting the Deer and Elk in this year.
$60 a box. I could only wish my Weatherby rounds for my 300wby mag would be as reasonably priced as $60. I'm spending over $100 a box for the Weatherby rounds when you add in the tax. Can't wait to start reloading and hopefully get my cost down to $60 or less a box

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Good Morning, MEuler,

At one time, Partition was the gold standard of elk bullets. I'd go with its retaining that designation.

I put a 7MM Rem Mag 160 Partition through-and-through the chest a 900+ pound bull destroying its heart along the way. It was dead standing up but didn't know it.

That brings up another crucial point: cartridges. They are nowhere near as important as where bullets go. Biological science tell us that nothing living remains so without topside oxygenated blood flow. Put a bullet through an elk's oxygenated blood pumping equipment, and hope your quartering tools are in good shape.

Now were you to ask me, I'd say that all North American cartridge development coulda stopped when the US Army came out with the '06. It's done it all all over the planet, and that includes elephant. But having only one big game cartridge wouldn't be fun. Campfire debates would become awfully boring. We might even have to talk women, which is usually never boring. Truth be told, the '06 will kill every big game animal in North America just as dead as any mega magnum. It's all about where bullets go. So your '06 with a good quality bullet would kill any elk in North America.

BTW, if conditions are perfect, you ought to be able to stretch your shooting distance out to about 400 yards. That's my self-imposed maximum. By perfect conditions I mean no wind, nothing that will deflect bullets on its path to an elk's oxygenated blood pumping apparatus, and no other animals in front or behind it. But if I can close distance, I will. I'd rather shoot at a hundred yards than farther. But the idea is your '06 will kill what you want to kill out to 400 yards.

I wish you great success.

Jerkman, where are you buying your ammo at? In Colorado at Sportsman's Warehouse you can get it for about $85. You may be able to order it online for cheaper. I found some .375 H&H online for $40. I know the pain of having to pay to feed a Wetherby. My Dad had a Mark V in .340 Wby Mag. If I wanted to shoot it, I had to buy the ammo but we bought it at Sportsman's for about $85. They are amazing rifles though and worth the cost.

I paid $60 for the Remington Premiers. The Federal Power Shock, Vital Shock and Cape Shock were about $75-$150. They also had Nosler's Trophy ammo that was around $90.

You will no doubt save well below $60 if you start reloading. I'm going to start reloading myself. I think I had it figured out down to about $25 a box so it will be alot cheaper once I get a stock pile of brass.

Jerkman, where are you buying your ammo at? In Colorado at Sportsman's Warehouse you can get it for about $85. You may be able to order it online for cheaper. I found some .375 H&H online for $40. I know the pain of having to pay to feed a Wetherby. My Dad had a Mark V in .340 Wby Mag. If I wanted to shoot it, I had to buy the ammo but we bought it at Sportsman's for about $85. They are amazing rifles though and worth the cost.

I paid $60 for the Remington Premiers. The Federal Power Shock, Vital Shock and Cape Shock were about $75-$150. They also had Nosler's Trophy ammo that was around $90.

You will no doubt save well below $60 if you start reloading. I'm going to start reloading myself. I think I had it figured out down to about $25 a box so it will be alot cheaper once I get a stock pile of brass.
The rounds I'm getting are from local shops. Here in New Yorkistan we aren't allowed to order online ammo any more. So any shops that even carry any Weatherby ammo put a premium on them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I killed some big stuff with my 30-06 and after my African trip in 2014 that old cartridge still shines in my eyes for pound for pound performance

Back