.30/06 bolt lovers - get in here

Never a mistake...

As it's been oft quoted here on TFL as the classic, timeless words of "Mister Rifleman" at different times, Townsend Whelen called it exactly right: "THE 30-06 IS NEVER A MISTAKE."

I own three; a very nicely sporterized U.S. Model of 1917 ('18 vintage) with Redfield Olympic receiver sights, a "like new" condition, walnut stocked, 1968 vintage M700 ADL, and a 1996 year of mfg. M700 ADL with the parkerized finish and syn-stock. All quite accurate, and all these dogs, "Do Hunt."

Hornady bullets, 165s, 180s and 190s are what they use, and IMR 4350 and Varget is what pushes them. All good, all around.

'06s do rule, no guff...

I currently own both a 1959 Winchester Model 70 and a 1943 1903 A3 in 30-06 (along with a couple of M1 Garands but they aren't bolt actions). Great fun to take the old ladies out for a spin at the range be it our local one limited to 300yds or our shooting spot in Pawnee National Grasslands for some 400+yd shooting.

dI6tD7i.jpg

(Just discovered I don't have a picture of my 1903 A3 ??)

Last edited:
The first hunting rifle I purchased for myself when I was a teenager was Ruger M77 MKII in 30-06. I had a basic Pro-staff 3-9x40 on it, and I killed a decent number of deer with it. But in my early 20s I was laid off and unemployed for several months, so I sold it. It was the right the thing to do, but I still regret the necessity for it.

I wasn't hand loading then, and I was under the influence of old wisdom and nostalgia. That gun only ever shot 150 grain core-lokts.

My current -06 stick is a Savage 110 from the early 1970s with a butt-ugly stock that needs to be replaced or refinished. But it's a shooter! It's currently open-sights only, but I may put a low, fixed power scope on it when I work on the stock.

Currently shoots 150 grain Nosler Partitions over 59.9 grains of IMR 4350.

I prefer the 150 grainer's in my 06's for Eastern Whitetails. Remington Core-Lokts are good, but I'm currently using the Barnes TTSX in my SAKO Model 75.

I haven't used the Winchester XP's or the Hornady's yet.

Besides my SAKO...I have my 1953 HRA M1 Garand, James River replica Springfield 03A3, my late uncle's sporterized 03A3 & sporterized Model1917 Enfield --- Which includes an original M1917 Enfield, that I bought from a fellow shooter on our range; who bought it off a former U.S. Marine, that used to be an airplane mechanic for Chennault's P40 Flying Tigers against the Japanese during WWII.

Last edited:
Funny thing, I've never had a lot of use for a 30-06. Love the 308 but the 30-06 was always overlooked. Let's face it, my old 7mm Rem Mag and my old 338's were more likely to do a good job and my 308's were just handier. Hat a mod 70 in 30-06 but only bought it to turn it into a 6.5x06, no other reason. Had a 700 ADL many years ago, worst recoiling rifle I ever had. About 1995 an extremely close friend died and left me everything he had. In it was a 30-06 1903 by Paul Jaeger built in 1945. It was his getting out of the service present to himself. Great shooting rifle and comfortable to shoot but, very expensive and I really never wanted to risk messing it up. Couple years ago I finely gave in and figured he'd want me to use it so I have. One elk year before last. Shoot's very well and all I shoot through it are 180gr Hornady inter locks. I have always had the idea that a 30-06 should be hunted with a 180gr bullet min. I got one specific bullet for each cartridge that I think is best in it. Have to admit I like hunting with it although it is heavier than any of my other rifles, about 8#. Have a very old Redfield 2 3/4x scope on it and wouldn't trade it for anything. Seldom hunt deer anymore so most the other rifle's get shot for practice now and then and the 30-06 is now my elk rifle, no particular reason. Just before it was my 6.5x06 and it is 3 for three on elk. Hard to argue it won't work. Never liked a 30-06 all that much but this one own's me!

Kind of like the Lord of the Rings.

You have all those other rings, do wondrous things but then

30-06: One Ring to Rule them All.

I seem to have a few 30-06s laying around. A couple of Ruger #1B's, two Remington M700s, one a BDL, the other a Classic. Not sure how many J.C. Higgins M50's I have. One that's totally original, a couple where people have messed with the stock to try and eliminate the slightly clubby feel, and one that was a .270 and is now a 7x57. I also have a Browning B-78 single shot in 30-06 that is quite accurate.

My first 06 was a 1917 Enfield that I had my local gunsmith make into a sporter. later it went down the road and several somewhat bubba'd 1903's came along, then a 1903A3 that had an altered bolt handle so I scoped it. I finally retired it in 1973 when I bought a Remington M660 in .308. As a heavy chain smoker back then that heavy Springfield weighed way too much at the 9,000 foot level when deer hunting. Quit smoking in 1975 FWIW. In 1980 got a seriously smoking deal on a Remington M700 BDL and a Winchester M94 package from a store that was dropping everything except what made the yuppies happy. $205 for both rifles.

For a long time I did most of my hunting with reloads using the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter although they didn't call them that back in 1954. At that time I could buy the Sierra bullets for less money than Hornady or Speer so never tried them. Guess it was about 1971 or 2 that I switched to 180 gr. bullets for less meat damage. One of my commercial FN Mausers has a 1 in 12" twist Douglas barrel and doesn't seem to like 180 gr. bullets. However it is a tack driver with the 165 gr. Nosler Accubond over a stiff load of W760 and is snapping at the heels of 2900 FPS with sub MOA accuracy. (2880 FPS average) I took a nice fat cow elk with that load three years ago; one shot and break out the knife.

I like playing with various cartridges but there will most likely always the at least one 30-06 within hands reach.
Paul B.

The first deer I ever killed was with my Dad's 700 ADL 30-06. He put a Bell & Carlson stock on it and it stopped kicking like a mule. I loved that rifle and about 15 years ago my father gave it to me.

The first round I ever reloaded was for that rifle with a 180 grain Speer soft point with 55 grains of IMR 4350 with the bullet loaded so far out it looked absurd. The rifle likes them like that but they won't chamber in anything else.

I've had a 1903A3, a BAR, and a heavy barrel Savage all in 30-06. I let all those go but that old black 700 is gonna stay with me.

My first .30-06 was a 1903 Springfield manufactured in late 1918 after they got the barrels fixed and strong enough to shoot.
It is a little bit of history that I bought from CMP.

Then I added two M1s.
One is a Collector's Grade H&R that I bought years ago from CMP.
The other is a Service grade that I keep for shooting.

Finally, I added a CZ 550 .30-06 as a hunting rifle.

To be honest, I don't shoot them much anymore, especially when I got into .308 and 6.5mm Creedmoor calibers and got really into loading for accuracy.

None of my .30-06s are really capable of the accuracy I get out of my .308s and the 6.5CMs. There are very few heavy barrel actions for the .30-06 compared to what is available in .308 and 6.5CM.

I 've had a few,and 270's too ,but I built the one I have from a already worked action I n my favorite gun store,gone now,it is missed! I reworked the trigger,bought the heaviest sporter bbl from Shilen and had Monells custom guns barrel,chamber and headspace it.it is no lightweight 9 lbs+but it shoots way out there And when I grew up rifles tended to be heavier,they were made for men who fought the big one and humped heavy rifles. It's a man's rifle in a man's caliber.mod.98 Mauser ww2,it might have shot at my old man!

Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 goes with me on every hunt. Always sighted in and ready but not always the best choice if trying to keep meat loss to a minimum or drop a big animal at a long distance. Still, it's always there and I know it will get the job done but I might have to work a little harder.

Back