3" vs 4" for range gun that I might want to carry some day

I would get the 4” for now and when you decide to carry in the future then get a more appropriate gun. If you’re looking at a revolver for CC then I’d look at a K frame size with a round butt frame and a 3” barrel.

Matt at https://mdwhitefieldleather.com/
I think he has stopped taking orders.
Another of his,
Matt-Whitfield-holster-zps1nii7xz0.jpg

For EDC, I doubt that you will find much difference between a 3" and a 4" 686. At the range, you will find that the 4" will be easier to shoot accurately and will have less recoil and muzzle flip. IMHO....fun range guns and EDCs are two different animals.

Yup, that's why I suggested two different guns similar in controls. I don't care for guns with internal locks so I like the GP100 better than smiths now days. If you find an older 686 you like at a fair price that would be good too. The early ones are square butt and the later ones are round butt which allow for more grip options. I have a mid 90s 6 inch and it shoots well as a range gun or back woods gun. I've put a lot of rounds down range with it. But it is in no way a carry gun. The SP101 4 inch I have is so much lighter and more comfortable to carry. If you want a great general purpose revolver the 4" GP100 is as good as a 686 and better in some ways. Cheaper for sure now days. That wasn't true in the 90s. While I love other calibers, 357 mag/38 special is the most versatile overall chambering by a wide margin!

No, you wouldn't be foolish. However, you don't have to please anyone else. Get the one that you want. I'm struggling with the same problem but I also have to add 6" into the equation. I have always been a six inch revolver fan. However, I don't plan on carrying a 686, Check on GunBroker. There are 686's on there,

Since the OP wants a "range gun" that he "might want to carry some day," I would suggest a four-inch barreled revolver for the extra sight length. Now, if you change the reason from a "carry gun" that I sometimes want to be a "range gun," the answer changes. I love three-inch barreled revolvers (I own 7) and like them for concealed carry, but most of us benefit from an extra inch when shooting beyond 15 to 20 yards.

If you're shooting at defense distances when at the "Range", there's no advantage to the 4" over the 3" bbl. in a "K" frame Smith. I'll define that as out to 15 yds in my experience. While I prefer the 4" M66 or M19 Smiths for carry here on the farm, for their better handling of recoil (read less punishing with moderately heavy loads), when carrying into town or Louisville, I go to a 3" M60 Smith for its lighter weight, by a considerable margin.

I'm not a fan of the full lugged "L" frame Smiths for carry where only a minimum of rounds are fired; but I'll concede that the extra weight makes for a more comfortable morning burning powder during extended range sessions. BTW, my carry loads with either, 3" M60 or 4" M66/18 average ~950-1000 fps. Enough for most any purpose, even putting down large stock on our farm, and more than enough for defensive use. These comprise 95% or more of my shooting. I rarely go to full house loads for any purpose, just too punishing.

With either bbl. choice, get a GOOD holster, one that rides well up on the belt, so you don't have the gun's hammer poking you in the ribs while seated in your car. I like an OWB, at 3:30 - 4;00 o'clock for that purpose. El Paso Saddlery makes some good ones, not cheap, but will last a lifetime of serious use. Look for the Tom Threepersons, Austin, or Askins Avenger types. And a GOOD gun belt of at least 1.5" width is necessary no matter which bbl. length you choose.

All things considered, were it one choice for the rest of my life, it'd be a 4" M66 Smith and I'd make wardrobe changes as necessary to conceal it when necessary. It's a gun you'll never sell... best regards, Rod

Last edited:
re/"IMHO....fun range guns and EDCs are two different animals.c

That is finally starting to dawn on me.

So the only time you shoot your carry weapon is when needed in a crisis? (I'm exaggerating, obviously..)

As I stated earlier, the smaller will be more convenient to carry - that point has been emphasized many times.

I have my modified XD I use for competition, a pretty 1911, and other "fun" range guns, but I shoot my G43 and G26 carry pistols probably 90% of the time. Keep range ammo, eyes and ears in the car, and drop in to my local range any time I feel like it.

I'd check out a Model 66-8 2.75" Even it is not an easy handgun to carry concealed.

A 4" 586 is difficult to carry concealed.

I use 135 grain Speer Lawman God Dot .38 Special +P for bag guy self-defense.

180 grain cast or bonded .357 Mag bullet would work on black bears.

I get it why 16 oz 9MM handguns are so popular for self-defense.

So: would I be foolish to go for a 3" 686+?

No you wouldn't. I have owned several 686's over the years, and still own a 3" and a 4". The 3" being my favorite by far. Unlike the 2.5" it has a full length extractor rod and unlike the 4" you can appendix carry without de-manning yourself each time you get into your car.

Unless you're a fairly tall person, I don't think the 4" would be a comfortable CCW option.

Last edited:
In my personal experience,,,

In my personal experience,,,
3" is the ideal length of a SD revolver,,,
Or for any particular make or model of handgun.

libby.jpg

Or,,,
160622-Dakota-3.jpg

Nothing more to add,,,
Just stating my personal preference is all.

I can hit with these pistols much better than I do when,,,
I'm shooting my 1 7/8" S&W 36 Snubbie.

Just sayin'

Aarond

I don't think the 4" would be a comfortable CCW option.
They aren't
Even with open/duty carry they can be a pain when compared to a 3"
At best you need to alter your gear to accommodate which IME lends to a worse draw position

Everyone that states that the 4" would be to uncomfortable are focused on probably carrying OWB. I carried by 686 6" in a vertical shoulder holster and it worked great. Maybe it is because I am more willing to tolerate wearing a certain gun than most.

vertical shoulder holster

You're in Texas, so similar to the ATL, but I don't see carrying in a t-shirt and shorts with a shoulder holster here..

I pocket-carry a G43 year-round, unless I'm wearing swimming shorts.

Not criticizing, just can't wear any jacket/over-shirt in summer myself.

Yes. A 686 is heavy, regardless of 2-6 inch barrel.

A 9mm P365 is going to be as small or smaller than a J frame. That is a gun to occasionally carry.

I think you are getting it right from here. The 3" has a strong following. That doesn't make the 686 right for the occasional carrier. :)

Last edited:
If you are sold on a 686+ then the only difference a 3" or 4" (besides about 100 fps velocity) is going to be how you carry. 12 o'clock no difference, 2 o'clock lots of difference, 3 o'clock no difference, 3 to 6 o'clock no difference, since the extra one inch doesn't weigh enough to make much difference and the longer barrel won't be hitting body parts.

Of course this is if you are carry IWB or OWB, not shoulder or chest harness, etc.

If you are sold on a 686+ then the only difference a 3" or 4" (besides about 100 fps velocity) is going to be how you carry.

Maybe 25 fps, but the velocity really does not start to drop off until you get to 2". For example a WW 145 grn STHP still runs 1250 in a 2".

Back