3" vs. 2.75" buckshot

I suppose my biggest reservation about shooting 000 buckshot in a 2-3/4" shell is 5 or 6 pellets of 000 vs 9 or 10 pellets of 00 buckshot. Since you are talking 15 yds, pattern size is not really a consideration, and energy is still very high for the smaller shot size. So pattern the gun with both and choose what shoots the best.

I consider ANYTHING after 15yds AR-15 time! I've shot plenty of living and non-living things with shotguns over the years, and know at what ranges a 18" or 20" barrel with cyl. bore choke( and other lengths and chokes) will do and won't do. Although I carry slugs in a side saddle or speed feed stock, I feel they only are needed out to the 50 yard line....when nothing else is handy. Nevermind the legal aspects of a justified shooting at 150 feet.
I've always considered the home defense shotgun as a close quarters defensive weapon, and that is what I base my tactics on.
Thank you all for your input.

I consider ANYTHING after 15yds AR-15 time! I've shot plenty of living and non-living things with shotguns over the years, and know at what ranges a 18" or 20" barrel with cyl. bore choke( and other lengths and chokes) will do and won't do. Although I carry slugs in a side saddle or speed feed stock, I feel they only are needed out to the 50 yard line....when nothing else is handy. Nevermind the legal aspects of a justified shooting at 150 feet.
I've always considered the home defense shotgun as a close quarters defensive weapon, and that is what I base my tactics on.
+1

In PRACTICAL use, the maximum effective range for buckshot against human targets is approx. 25 yards, and roughly 50 yards for slugs.

After that, and a .223 weapons platform makes eminently more tactical sense, able to reach out to 600 yards or more with ease and incredible accuracy with low recoil and rapid follow up shots.

I bet you had to look that up. (Wikipedia?)

Remington states .36 caliber on the box.
Measured.

What is on the box is the "nominal diameter," which by industry standards can be + .015" Thus the largest "in spec" 00B is .345" and the smallest "in spec" 000B is .345"

At residential hallway distances none of the pattern enhancing developments in buckshot ammunition, at least since the introduction of the pin-fire breech loader of the mid-19th century, make any meaningful difference.

At residential hallway distances none of the pattern enhancing developments in buckshot ammunition, at least since the introduction of the pin-fire breech loader of the mid-19th century, make any meaningful difference.

In fact, some of the newest “tactical buckshot” is detrimental at hallway distances. You get zero benefit of any spread

With the cheapest low tech buckshot available, 5 yard "hallway" patterns will really open up - to 3 or 4 inches!

At close range, a shotgun is a devastating and useful defensive weapon. And I base my set-ups, ammo, and tactics on this thought train.
I don't hunt with buckshot, it's solely intended to be used on 2 legged intruders( and I hope I never have to use it for that)!

What is on the box is the "nominal diameter," which by industry standards can be + .015" Thus the largest "in spec" 00B is .345" and the smallest "in spec" 000B is .345"

So you looked something up. What’s your point?

Are you implying that OOO is the same as OO, with one less pellet?

Where’s the Wiki for that?

So you looked something up. What’s your point?

Are you implying that OOO is the same as OO, with one less pellet?

Where’s the Wiki for that?
You left out an important word in my earlier reply: Measured.

As for industry standards, these are voluntary standards set by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI).

Back