3 MUST HAVE shotguns?

Funny that you said three shotguns because I have dozens of handguns and dozens of rifles but only three shotguns :

1) Remington 870, extended magazine, 6-round sidesaddle

2) Saiga-12, Pistol grip, folding stock, Shark brake permanently attached for total barrel length of just over 18 inches with a number of 10 round magazines and 20 round drums.

3) Replica of a Colt 1878 double barrel with exposed hammers.

These three pretty much cover my interest in shotguns.

I am hard pressed to come up with another shotgun I need to own - but I suppose I would buy a Browning A5 if I found one at a nice price.

How about:

1. a nice O/U (my preference would be my 12 ga Beretta 685 because it is light and a great field gun)

2. A classic SxS (maybe my Remington 1900 in 16 ga or my Remington 1894 CEO)

3. A nice 12 ga Semi-Auto (either something tactical like my Beretta FP1201 or one for waterfowling like my Beretta AL390)

Just picked from guns I already own.

1. New England .410
2. 870 wingmaster 20ga
3. Benelli Cordoba 12ga

Pretty much covers all your needs and wants. If you can't get it done with one of these you need more practice.
Whiskey.

1. Benelli M2 Field 12 gauge 24 " or 21 " barrel

2. Ithaca model 37 featherlight pump 20 gauge

3. Winchester model 23 side by side double.....however , this is priced waaay beyond my budget ! :)

1) Mossberg 500/590. It's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me. You get the same performance as other service pumps at a price that's lower than Remington; PLUS it's easier to load than a Remington since the gate stays out of the way when not loading.

2) Browning Citori. From the most basic models to the higher end stuff, this gun has more options than most (if not all) other doubles out there, this is a gun that simply will not fail you in the field or blasting clays.

3) Browning Maxus. For much the same reason as the Citori is good, so is the Maxus, just replace the word "double" with "auto"; i mean, it's a Browning after all!

Rem 870 12 gauge with 26" or 28" barrel for all around airborne targets

Rem 870 20 gauge (Compact Jr) 18.5" barrel for turkeys, squirrel, rabbit, etc.

H&R Topper or equivalent single shot 20 gauge for lightweight squirrel or other hunting and young'ns.

I'll play!

In no order:
Ithaca Model 37 s- 2 each (My first shotgun with vent rib and my first bear gun in Alaska with Deerslayer barrel)
Win Model 1897 (acquired in HORRIBLE condition from my brother and now a respectable piece of machinery with good wood and a newly blued finish - don't say it. It's conditon was abominable!)
Anything else - since I don't have anything else.

For me:

Mossberg 590a1 - Home Protection/Zombies

Mossberg 930 w/ 24in rifled barrel & scope - Deer hunting

Beretta A300 w 28in barrel - ducks,geese, partridge, squirrel, rabbir, turkey

Must haves?

Well, Joe Biden says all we need is a 12 gauge, and I think everyone should have a double barrel 12. Nothing is more "classic" than that. Either longer barrels for field use, or coach gun length (either with, or without exposed hammers) there is nothing like a double 12.

I have that covered, with my grandfather's Ithaca flues Model, which has been in my family for 104 years! Except for the finish its the same gun as it was when it left the factory, custom ordered by my grandfather, 26", choked FULL/FULL, and with the stock to his measurements.

I also have a Chinese made coach gun (hammers), for fun. ITs also my home "ready" shotgun. If that gun winds up spending months in an evidence locker before I get it back, its not a great hardship.;)

#2 A good pump. 12 ga., preferred. I have Win Model 12s, and a Rem 870 Express (bought so I could shoot steel, if needed).

#3 what ever floats your boat. I think a .410 is great, light pest gun, beginners shotgun (for the light recoil) and expert's field gun (for the difficulty of hitting):D I have a bolt action .410 that was given to me by a friend, and a T/C contender with a .45Colt/.410 barrel. Its a great rat wrecker.

One thing I don't understand, why some list both the model 12 and the model 97 as "must haves". Either will do a fine job, and the model 12 is the 97 without the (few) flaws it has. If you have ever had your thumb over the wrist of the stock when you racked a model 97, you know exactly what I mean!:D

1: Reliable pump--always just works. I'd say Rem870 or Moss500/590 are the best "standards" out there.

2: Bullpup for tighter situations. Not a lot of options here, but the KSG is probably top of the list or a converted 870.

3: Semi-auto for your faster needs. I like the Benelli M1, probably others out there as I'm more into pumps for reliability.

That being said, I'm personally more a rifle and pistol guy, so for me, a bullpup self-defense shotgun is about the only one I personally would have any use for.

Only three????

1) Remington 11-48 - 20 gauge - prettiest and best evolution of the long recoil auto design.

2) Berretta 686 - 12 gauge, but tubed for all four competition gauges

3) If money is no object - a Browning Superposed. If the money tree is not currently in bloom, a Reminton 870 Wingmaster in 20 gauge

Back