3 inch .22LR LCRx: Who has one and do you like it?

I added a LCRX 3" in .22WMR to the stable today, stiff double action (compared to my .38 version), but a very good single action pull, nice and crisp. Should get some range time with it next week.
I've got mine dialed in pretty we. 1"- 2" groups at 15 yards. Quite aittle shooter!

Is that with a 40 grain bullet, or one of the other weights?

I've been quite pleased with the .22LR and .38 versions, so I'm expecting to be happy with this one as well.

I always wished that Ruger had released the original lighter-framed LCR and/or the newish 3" LCRX in .32 H&R Magnum. It would have been preferable as a six-gun to .22 WMR, with reliable center-fire ammo and no increase in trigger pull. Sadly, the sun has set on .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal probably put the last nails in its coffin. Sure, the .327 guns can fire it. It's just that .327 guns require more structural support due to the high pressure so you can't quite make them as small or light.

So I'll just be waiting to see if Ruger gives us a magnum-framed 3" LCRX, preferably in .327 Federal. :)

I always wished that Ruger had released the original lighter-framed LCR and/or the newish 3" LCRX in .32 H&R Magnum. It would have been preferable as a six-gun to .22 WMR, with reliable center-fire ammo and no increase in trigger pull. Sadly, the sun has set on .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal probably put the last nails in its coffin. Sure, the .327 guns can fire it. It's just that .327 guns require more structural support due to the high pressure so you can't quite make them as small or light.

So I'll just be waiting to see if Ruger gives us a magnum-framed 3" LCRX, preferably in .327 Federal. :)
A .32 H&R on the aluminum LCR frame? That would probably be just as light as the .38 is, but we're talking a few ounces lighter compared to the .327 and .357 LCR's. Ruger would never make it and I'm not sure I'd buy it.

Although it makes sense as I feel .32 H&R is a fine self defense ammo as long as it's loaded to its max levels and not downloaded like it has suffered from since the 80s.

Gotta love Federal ammo. Sure, they can make good hollow points, but give them an uncommon cartridge like .32 H&R or 10mm and they load them to .32 or .40 S&W levels.

Dunno what Ruger is going to do to continue to add on to the LCR, I think a 3 inch .357 and .327 make sense. I would love to see 5 or 6 inch barrels for better velocity, but I feel they would be unbalanced with the plastic grip and all the steel out front. So, I guess the 3 inch steel frames are all that's left for Ruger to make.

Last edited:
A .32 H&R on the aluminum LCR frame? That would probably be just as light as the .38 is, but we're talking a few ounces lighter compared to the .327 and .357 LCR's. Ruger would never make it and I'm not sure I'd buy it.

It would basically be a better 432PD with no lock-hole. I know there would be snowmen dancing in heck before we'd ever see such a gun. I'm just saying. The lighter .38 special frame is only a little smaller and a little lighter. Having carried the LCR in both frames for hundreds of days each, it is a noticeable difference. The magnum frame still rides quite well in a pocket holster and I have no problem carrying it in a lot of pants. It's just that the lighter frame is a little better.

You're right about .32 H&R magnum and some other cartridges being loaded on the mild side in common factory offerings. In a small six-gun, I never minded a .32 H&R magnum on par energetically with standard .38 special. It had relatively mild recoil and offered an extra shot on the wheel. Modern .327 Federal has similar benefits, offering power levels between 9mm and .357 magnum with an extra shot and recoil closer to .38 +p. The LCR 327 is my warm-weather EDC and I'm content with it.

Back