3/8" AR500?

If you're shooting steel at 100 yards, you'd better have the steel suspended correctly. Hanging it from a "shepherd's crook" is a safety nightmare.

Bullet frags are going to ricochet off that steel, and hanging it vertically is asking for something to zing past your head (and hopefully not into it) at some point.

Steel needs to be hung from the back, so that it naturally angles down towards the ground and will direct the fragments down into the dirt.

180 grains or more at 2600+ fps is nothing to sneeze at at 100 yards.

Our local (shorter) range only allows steel at 200M, it's forbidden at 100 yards.

If you're shooting steel at 100 yards, you'd better have the steel suspended correctly. Hanging it from a "shepherd's crook" is a safety nightmare.

Bullet frags are going to ricochet off that steel, and hanging it vertically is asking for something to zing past your head (and hopefully not into it) at some point.

Steel needs to be hung from the back, so that it naturally angles down towards the ground and will direct the fragments down into the dirt.

180 grains or more at 2600+ fps is nothing to sneeze at at 100 yards.

Our local (shorter) range only allows steel at 200M, it's forbidden at 100 yards.
I've had a 357 mag bullet come zinging back at me though it wasn't when shooting at gongs. How do you angle these things when there is no attachment point on the bottom edge?

I've had a 357 mag bullet come zinging back at me though it wasn't when shooting at gongs. How do you angle these things when there is no attachment point on the bottom edge?

For those gongs, hanging from a chain from the back will give them a slight down angle.

What I have done is use a reasonably long bolt, with a washer on the front side, then a stack of 3 or 4 washers in back between the plate and the chain link. With it cantilevered out a bit, it should have a nice down angle, that combined with a chain mount rather than a solid mount will allow the plate to move and absorb some of the energy.

With steel you will never 100% eliminate the chance of fragments, but with that combination, that is probably as good as you can get to reduce risk.

Always wear eye protection.

JMO...

But putting the chain attachment point at near center of the target doesn't seem like a great idea...:confused:

20150401_142155_zpsd06l2yub.jpg

There are some merits to the post idea, but the post WILL get hit, at some point.

I've used steel, foldable sawhorses to hang our steel for years. They get shot...bang out the bullet holes best I can, and when they're done, make another. They're all sacrificial at some point.

i use a plastic sawhorse to hang my plate. works well for me. they're cheap (like 10 bucks) and take a decent beating. no problems with ricochets off it since its plastic the bullet just goes through. i use rope to hang the plate. cheaper than chain to replace if you shoot it and bullets wont bounce off it. might be the way the plate is angled, but i dont have a problem with the fragments cutting the rope either

Back