2nd gun, or stuff for first gun?

nanney1

After debating the revolver vs. semi, I decided on a 9mm Shield as my first CC firearm. Of course, I knew that I would still want to try a revolver, and if I had purchased a revolver, I still would have wanted a 9mm.

I'm thinking about picking up a J frame in .38 special.

Or... debate, debate, I could try out different things with my Shield, such as an IWB holster, and a Mika pocket holster, additional magazines, various types of ammo, and multiple range visits to fire that ammo and work with the two holster options.

Costs for those things would probably equal the cost of a J frame in about 5 weeks if I go to the range weekly.

While it's difficult to resist acquiring more guns, based on experience, I suggest you fight that urge. Your money is better-spent on things that will get you proficient, comfortable, and safe for concealed carry... holster, belt, ammo, training, etc. Congratulations! Have fun with it.

Love the Shield. It's my every-day-carry (EDC).

The urge to buy another gun is strong. I agree with jmhyer on this one, though. Resist the urge to buy another gun until you're properly outfitted and prepared for safe, (relatively) comfortable concealed carry. Personally, I'd suggest that you start with:
  1. Ammo
  2. Training
  3. Belt
  4. Holster
  5. Mag Pouch (if necessary)
Once you've got those squared away, then worry about getting the second gun. There are plenty of .38 revolvers out there to be had, and it's not like they'll quit making them.

I have a 9mm Shield and it's a fantastic carry gun. I got it pretty recently, but it quickly turned into an EDC pistol for me. I use a StealthGear Revolution IWB-Mini, and highly recommend it. IWB has been my preferred carry method for years, and I've had a Theis in horsehide, a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe, in addition to my SG Revolutions.

I'm also a firm believer in having a good belt. Your belt is the foundation of your whole carry system, and can make a world of difference in your comfort level. Don't skimp on it.

What specifically are you seeking to accomplish with the J frame that the Shield does not already accomplish?

Those things you listed for the Shield... you are still going to "need" them after you buy the J frame. Buying the J frame does not change that.

If you made the decision to go with the semi-auto, I suggest you practice with that and get the gear you need for it (like everyone else is saying). The revolver is pretty different in terms of grip and trigger. I prefer semi-auto for carry anyways since it is slimmer than revolvers, and reloads are easier to carry as well. I know some people are hard core revolver fans, but I am not one of them.

"...Resist the urge..." Yep. The most "dangerous" shooter on the planet is the guy who only has one firearm.
"...try out different things..." For what reason? Extra mags is for playing the shooting games, mostly. You're not going into combat. Which holster is about comfort and quick access. A pocket is a bad place for a hand gun. Not as bad as one's ankle though.
Ammo, on the other hand, is different. If you're not reloading, you must try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your pistol shoots best. Cycling is usually not an issue.
"...multiple range visits..." Join a club. If you're going to carry a firearm, you need to practice with the ammo you intend using anyway. Shooting bullseye in a league is fun and opens doors.
"...thinking about picking up..." Also, what for? Aside from them being fun, it's like driving a standard transmission vs a girly automatic. Same thing only different. Also means you'd be trying to learn two operations at once.

I agree with the overwhelming responses that I should spend the time and money on the Shield for EDC.

As to the why??? of wanting to getting a J frame? Because, I was not absolutely certain on which one to go with for EDC when I made the purchase. At some point, I had to try one or the other after having shot both at the range. The Shield was the better deal at the time, so I chose the Shield.

And if I add the J Frame, one would be EDC and one will remain as home defense.

I already know what you are going to do, which is to buy another gun.

However, what you should do, is practice enough to become proficient with the gun you already own, and if you are planning on carrying it, acquiring a well-made holster for it that will work for your intended carry method.

So if you are looking for a place to spend money - ammo, range fees, holster.

Extra mags are fine for range visits. I like to own a minimum of 3 functioning magazines. Which usually means 4, so I can have a spare in case one of the other three develop a problem. But they are not necessarily a must-buy when you first get a gun. Pick them up later as budget allows.

You may eventually end up with a drawer full of holsters as you dial in what works and does not work for you, but that is not an urgent need. You need one good holster for the way you plan to carry. That's enough.

Keep in mind that if you justify the new gun by "5 weeks worth of expenses for the current gun," you will still have that need of the "5 weeks worth of expenses" for the first gun, and the same set of expenses for the new one.

Plenty of ways to spend your money on your first gun. Ammo is an infinite money sink.

And if I add the J Frame, one would be EDC and one will remain as home defense.

Why? For use both guns fill practically the same role in different ways. Why would either the J Frame or the Shield not cover both bases? Also, if you have to have two guns to cover both bases, why have some that are as dissimilar in use?

If you want to buy a J frame to own both that is fine it is your money. I think you are attempting to justify something as a "need" that is not.

JC57: I get the feeling that maybe a lot of folks who have responded have already done what I'm thinking about, and went ahead and bought the other gun. And they wished they had spent more time with the first. Almost as if I'm gaining the voices of reason from past experiences.

JC57: I get the feeling that maybe a lot of folks who have responded have already done what I'm thinking about, and went ahead and bought the other gun. And they wished they had spent more time with the first. Almost as if I'm gaining the voices of reason from past experiences.

I recall once thinking about changing holsters. But I did not want to buy a new holster for the gun I was using as an EDC gun because it would be a waste of money. So I had a solution

I bought a NEW gun and a new holster.... :)

The amount of money I have spent moving from gun X to gun Y with functionally no difference is ridiculous. As I move towards a more minimalistic view point I am having a hard time remembering how I justified certain things and why I wanted them in the first place.

I am having a hard time remembering how I justified certain things and why I wanted them in the first place.

I have simplified my life considerably by just remembering that I DID have a reason for every firearm I've purchased.

Maybe it wasn't a GOOD reason but never the less there WAS a reason.

And I am now a follower of Cheapshooter's rule of gun ownership---Never sell or trade anything.

If your Shield is your carry piece, besides the obvious suggestions to learn how to shoot it well in adverse situations, why buy a J-frame? You already have a carry gun, why do you need two? Get something more appropriate for the range or wherever you shoot.

But seriously... if this is your first pistol, and you intend to carry it... you need some time on that pistol, and not only standing in a stall at the range and mag dumping at 7yds, but finding the right holster, practicing your draw from different positions, practicing reloads, etc.

O.K. I get it, but it would be nice to have a second gun at home if I'm not there. The J frame would be easy to use for my wife.

While I'm learning with the Shield, the J frame would be at home. If I decide later to carry the J frame, I would leave the Shield at home (but only after my wife had made some trips to the range to learn how to use the Shield).

Of course by then, she may want her own. Hopefully.

I'm gonna buck the tide a bit here, and tell you "Buy another gun!" but not just because you want one.

Buy another gun, and put it away. A different gun, or even the exact same make and model you currently have. The reason I say this is that if you ever do need to use your gun defensively, the police will take it, and keep it until the investigation, and case, if there is one is completely settled.

It may take weeks or even longer before you are able to make a claim to get your property back. And it may take longer yet before they get around to returning it to you.

Get another gun, and keep it in reserve, then spend your time and money on the one you use, saving the other "just in case". Over time, you can expand your activities to include the other gun, or not, as you see fit.

A bunch of gun guys ...are never going to tell you not to buy another gun...most of us own quite a few guns.../ and S&W revolvers in K, L and N frames are part of my collection ( J frames don't fit my hands, so I have no interest in them ) / although my primary carry and defense gun is, and will always be, a full sized 1911 in 9mm...( it used to be in .45 acp / but I retired the .45 acp as my arthritis has gotten worse ).

But if funds are tight, it comes down to what you need ...and what you probably need most at this point...is range time / once or twice a week at 3 or 4 boxes a week...will pay big dividends - especially for defense with your primary carry gun and holsters, etc Switching back and forth to another style of semi-auto or to a revolver may not be in your best interest until you have a lot more experience.

I will occasionally carry a revolver ( like a K or N frame in 2 1/2", 2 5/8" or even a 4" ) and I do keep an L frame revolver in a 6" in my night stand ( but I've been shooting most of these guns for over 50 yrs )....but 99% of the time I carry my 1911, so its the gun I train with 3 times a week mostly.

Since I make the decision to carry...I carry the gun I shoot the best / and I train with it weekly !! I don't expect to ever need it ..but I want to remain very competent with it !

Which gun you choose to carry / what fits your hands...what controls you like ..what trigger you like, length, weight, etc ..is all part of your journey in this hobby. It takes time to develop that experience...so don't jump into different guns left and right ...develop your experience...so you are spending your hard earned money the best way to promote this hobby for yourself.

But if you really want a J frame...and you've fired enough of them to know exactly what you like ...then buy it.

There is a lot to be said for a J-frame 38 special. It's not the in thing, it's not fashionably hot and it's not a 9mm. But no slide, no magazine , no safety , no feeding issues, no failures to extract. Grab it and fire 5 shots, if one round doesn't fire, just pull the trigger again. Simple to use , seldom jams and any ammo will feed .
After 50 years of experience , a J framed S&W AirLite 38 special goes out the door with me since 2004, carries easily even in a pocket .
Colt has seen fit to resurrect its 6 shot Detective Special, they could no longer ignore the demand for self defense revolvers.
I would get a revolver, use both before making a carry decision. Besides you can't have just one gun....that's no fun !
Gary

Two is one, one is none - perspective.
I'd get the J-frame.
Options.
You might (eventually) even carry the Shield IWB with/and the J-frame in a pocket (options).

Back