2ffg or 3ffg

It certainly makes a difference to me in my revolvers, and even more so the brand of powder, but regardless I'd not want to neuter what little 3F will produce in an accurate load (30 grns) with 2F as what I'm getting, to me, is barely acceptable. A rifle is another story. However the truth of the matter is is that 3F, comparing the same volume, is more energetic, which was mentioned.

There's a fellow who hunts hogs with a Walker and uses 66 grns of 2F T7 with a ball. I asked why and his response was to reduce pressure. But twice as much powder is another story altogether and not unreasonable whatsoever. 30 grns, to me, not so much.

Maybe is just me but I don't see any difference just shooting but I don't have a chrono. I also don't see any difference between Swiss and Pyrodex. Never used any Goex or any of the other subs. Against a piece of steel they all make the same little flat sliver of lead.

My point was for hunting purposes or maybe longer range shooting giving you less of an arc trajectory. For plate plinking pretty much anything that goes bang is fine. What Rodwhincamo says goes with me as well. Why use 2F vs. 3F in a pistol. My Colt 1861 Navy 44 gets 30 grains of 3F GOEX for every shot.

I've worked with various velocities in a rifle and how it works down range. It isn't really quite the big deal except for expansion of the projectile. A fellow on a traditional forum stated expansion began at around 1000 fps at the target. LBT (?) says it's more like 1200 fps. An expanded projectile will certainly create a greater wound channel.

Now I'm a fan of a wide meplat on my pistol bullets. Expansion cannot be counted upon and so a wide meplat will create the greater wound channel. The faster it travels the wider that channel. So velocity still matters. I'll take all I can get as I'm dealing with a small chamber. Maybe it doesn't make a big impact on the wound channel, but if it distance becomes abit greater it may. And it certainly effects the amount of fouling.

My 30 grn volume (~33 grns weight) 3F Olde E charge and 195 grn bullet creates roughly 375 ft/lbs of energy or roughly a standard .45 ACP load, or maybe it's more looking at Mr Beliveau's results, though powder charge numbers will vary. To me this is near the bottom of what exceptable. Why would I want 2F and .44 Spl performance? Or worse yet using standard Goex and barely getting .38 Spl performance if I used 3F and about worthless if I used 2F? I hunt hogs too and that's something I want penetration for without a doubt, but two holes are always better than one in my book regardless.

Last edited:
Looking over Lyman's data for standard Goex using 80 grns (a typical average hunting charge in a 24" barrel for a .50 cal) we get (25 yd increments), zeroed at 100 yds and excluded 0:

2F
1538 fps and 930 ft/lbs at the muzzle
1.7" 2.9" 2.4" 0.0" -4.7" with 326 ft/lbs at 125 yds

3F
1631 fps and 1046 ft/lbs at the muzzle
1.5" 2.6" 2.2" 0.0" -4.3" with 342 ft/lbs at 125 yds

Not a spectacular difference. But I've used a 70 grn charge of 3F T7 and Olde E which give close to 1825 fps at the muzzle with less powder.

1825 fps and 1309 ft/lbs a themuzzle
1.1" 2.0" 1.8" 0.0" -1.8" with 378 ft/lbs at 125 yds

Beyond about 75 yds they've all lost most of their steam and won't expand much, if at all. The energy figures out at 125 yds aren't even much to talk about either. The trajectory difference between standard Goex 2F vs 3F isn't a big deal but it becomes bigger comparing a more energetic powder vs one that's not. And maybe I should have compared 70 grns across the board to be more fair.

@zipspyder: If you are using your sidearm for hunting I'd beg you to compare standard Goex to something more powerful. Mike Beliveau has great videos, one of which he compares standard Goex to Triple 7 (with 15% reduced loads) and various projectiles. Despite the powder reduction, which isn't necessary, he gets a much greater performance. And T7 compares closely to what Olde Eynsford (by Goex) and Swiss produce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA

Compression also isn't quite the bad thing he talks about either. This very slight compression is dealing with loading brass cartridges and not for any other use. And the 15% reduction isn't due to being too powerful and making it dangerous but to get close to the velocity of a weak powder such as Goex. However as you see even this reduction still well outpaces standard Goex.

Handgun hunting isn't legal here. When I did use a .50 I used 90 grains with a round ball. Now I use a .54 with 90 grains and a round ball with either Swiss or Pyrodex whichever one I have at the time.

@zipspyder: If you are using your sidearm for hunting I'd beg you to compare standard Goex to something more powerful. Mike Beliveau has great videos, one of which he compares standard Goex to Triple 7 (with 15% reduced loads) and various projectiles. Despite the powder reduction, which isn't necessary, he gets a much greater performance. And T7 compares closely to what Olde Eynsford (by Goex) and Swiss produce.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LP_dwo2nThA

Compression also isn't quite the bad thing he talks about either. This very slight compression is dealing with loading brass cartridges and not for any other use. And the 15% reduction isn't due to being too powerful and making it dangerous but to get close to the velocity of a weak powder such as Goex. However as you see even this reduction still well outpaces standard Goex.

@Rodw, yeah I don't use my Colt handgun for hunting but if I did it would definitely be be Triple 7 as it gives much better performance than GOEX. And we know BP pistols can use all they can get as long as its safe!

PS: The fact that my Colt has a brass frame doesn't help as well. I feel more comfortable using the full 30 grains regular back powder vs. messing with different quantities of T7 or Pyrodex. Plus my Traditions powder measure/loader has a 30 grain fill spout. :D

Revolvers aren't legal for game animals during the primitive season as a primary means but can certainly be kept as a sidearm. However non game animals such as hogs or the various exotics are not an issue, and that revolver can be used during the other hunting season time frames.

It would have to be red squirrels, ground hogs, etc...in my neck of the woods. Up here in Wisconistan we don't have any hogs. :( :)

PS: The fact that my Colt has a brass frame doesn't help as well. I feel more comfortable using the full 30 grains regular back powder vs. messing with different quantities of T7 or Pyrodex. Plus my Traditions powder measure/loader has a 30 grain fill spout.

It wont last long shooting loads like that.

Back