.28 Nosler vs. 7mm Rem Mag

What was the load that produced 3200fps from a 26" barrel M70 with the 160gr AB in a 7mm Rem? I have a 26" barreled M70 7mm Rem and would like to try and duplicate that same load in my rifle. So far the most velocity I can get is 3100fps.

I can't tell you because I don't get that velocity with my rifle. I settle for 3050.
Its a 26 in bbl.

HiBC: My comments weren't meant to be snarky or argumentative, apologies if it seemed as such.

My impression of your comment was that you believe there is little or no difference between the 7mmRM and the smaller 7mm-08. Admittedly the conversation has drifted a little off topic so sorry for the confusion.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

My load for the 160 Accubond is as follows, please keep in mind that it's not a book load and my Model 70 has a fairly large chamber. I use Norma Brass and after fireforming it measures 88.2 grains of H20. That is about six grains more than stock so take heed to make a note of it!

I seat the bullet to 3.36" COAL which is .020" off the lands as recommended by Nosler in their manual. I have reached 3200 with two powders: vvN570 and RETUMBO.

The vvN570 is a bit too slow for a 160 I think, near to 3200 I got splattered primers so 86 that one. The RETUMBO works better and no pressure signs as of yet. YMMV.

I am loading to 79.6g at this time. Powder lots vary so all caution etc....

HiBC: My comments weren't meant to be snarky or argumentative, apologies if it seemed as such.

My impression of your comment was that you believe there is little or no difference between the 7mmRM and the smaller 7mm-08. Admittedly the conversation has drifted a little off topic so sorry for the confusion.

My load for the 160 Accubond is as follows, please keep in mind that it's not a book load and my Model 70 has a fairly large chamber. I use Norma Brass and after fireforming it measures 88.2 grains of H20. That is about six grains more than stock so take heed to make a note of it!

I seat the bullet to 3.36" COAL which is .020" off the lands as recommended by Nosler in their manual. I have reached 3200 with two powders: vvN570 and RETUMBO.

The vvN570 is a bit too slow for a 160 I think, near to 3200 I got splattered primers so 86 that one. The RETUMBO works better and no pressure signs as of yet. YMMV.

I am loading to 79.6g at this time. Powder lots vary so all caution etc....
That is more then I want to try out of mine.

disseminator,

I have some new Norma 7mag brass and H20 capacity is 85.5gr. Nosler max load for 7mag with 160gr AB is 3077fps. Nosler manual 7/8 used same tested O.A.C.L @ 3.290" for the 160gr AB in 7mag.

Your COAL @ 3.360" is same as Nosler data for 7 WbyMag and Retumbo max load for 160gr AB is 79.5gr Retumbo @ 3189fps. I know the Wby has lot of freebore but your case capacity is close to the Wby, almost sounds like you to have Wby without the freebore.

Back