28/26 Nosler?!?

I can verify that the standard 284 Win is not any less expensive. At least not as far as casings go.
As for do the same? 7mm STW comes to mind, as does the 6.5 STW.

Gunwerks came out with their 7mm LRM the other year.

Since I have been pondering this... I have looked into it a bit more. Honestly the 28 nosler would be my second choice between the two. 26 nosler would be what I chose. That being said there are some cartridges that can compete with the 26 nosler, but do it more efficiently in my opinion.

For example. Take the 26 Nosler vs the 270 WSM... Using just load data from Nosler's website. 140 grain Accubond bullets. Obviously these two cartridge's load data uses powders with different burn rates for the best listed velocities.

Basically how it breaks down is this.

26 nosler test barrel 26 inches.
Bullet BC: .509
Highest load velocity range 3,111-3,251 FPS
Charge weight: 84-88 grains

270 wsm test barrel 24 inches.
Bullet BC: .496
Highest load velocity range 3,092-3,237
Charge weight: 65-70 grains.

So what I take away from this discussion is this.....

A 270 WSM rifle will perform very close to what the 26 nosler rifle will perform. Velocities are very similar, and bullet BC are similar. However the 270 WSM offers some very compelling advantages.
1: Short action
2: 20-25% less powder weight
3: Less blast
4: Less recoil.
5: More brass and ammunition availability.

So I think Maybe my better option for a rifle to play around with might be to rebarrel a savage WSM action to 270 WSM. 26 inch barrel. Save money on brass and powder.

But if you want a 28 Nosler, then just get one. Who cares what we think?
I have no need for one. I have 3 7Rem mags, 2 7WSM, a 284, a 284 AI, 2 7 STWs, a 7 WBY, and 2 7 RUMs. Having said that, I am sure I will eventually build one.

Kilotanker,
Would this be the same Nosler data that suggests you can get a 140gr bullet out of a 280 Rem at over 3,100 fps?

Seems interesting seeing as everyone elses data can only push them 2,800-2,900 fps.
My own chrono backs the other loading manuals also.

I still don't know why i bought the second Nosler manual (8). Their data seems errr, wildly optimistic shall we say.

Untill others come onboard and release data for those 2 cartridges i think i would stick with Hodgdon's load data.

Kilotanker, I like your logic with the 270 WSM. That's the only magnum I am continuously tempted to get. As I run the numbers on recoil calculators, it'll have the same or slightly less recoil than a 30-06 with much better ballistics.

If my 30-06 didn't have so much sentimental value, I'm quite sure I'd already have sold it to fund a 270 WSM.

Nothing wrong with the 26 or 28 Nosler, though, and you clearly have done your homework. If the trade offs are worth it to you, have at it!

Kilotanker,
Would this be the same Nosler data that suggests you can get a 140gr bullet out of a 280 Rem at over 3,100 fps?

Seems interesting seeing as everyone elses data can only push them 2,800-2,900 fps.

I still don't know why i bought the second Nosler manual (8). Their data seems errr, wildly optimistic shall we say.

Untill others come onboard and release data for those 2 cartridges i think i would stick with Hodgdon's load data.
even Hodgdon data suggests that between 26 nosler and 270 wsm with 140 grain pills i can attain velocities within 50 FPS. Although, Nosler's starting load data is about the max of Hodgdons data.... With H50BMG The max loads between hodgon and Nosler is a 10 grain Difference for the 26 nosler.

28 Nosler will push a 140 to 3375 at safe pressure.
What 7 Rem mag load does that???

The 7mmRM won't get that fast, true. But, it will exceed 3200 with that bullet and what real difference is that? What will that bullet do at 3375 that it wont at 3200?

It's on that basis that I say the 7mmRM is good enough. There is no realistic difference IMO.

Kilotanker,

FWIW, I am easily running over 2900 FPS with a 160 grain bullet in my Model 70 280 Remington with room to grow so a 140 at 3100 isn't so far fetched.

Looking at Nosler data for 28 Nosler they have 3 loads over 3500fps with 140gr
used 26" barrel vs 24" that Hodgdon used @ 3375fps. Hodgdon top for 7mag with 140gr is 3217fps and that's only load above 3200fps

I shot 7mag for # of years, with 145gr @ 3173fps,160gr 2991fps. I'm sure today I would do little better.

Myself I don't know anyone that want to shoot 24" barrel 28 Nosler.

The 7mmRM won't get that fast, true. But, it will exceed 3200 with that bullet and what real difference is that? What will that bullet do at 3375 that it wont at 3200?

It's on that basis that I say the 7mmRM is good enough. There is no realistic difference IMO.
The 28 Nosler is flatter. What does "no realistic difference" truly mean? We will say "there is no realistic difference between a:" 28 Nosler and a 7 STW, between a 7 STW and a 7 Rem Mag, between a 7 Rem Mag and a 7 WSM, between a 7 WSM and a 7RSAUM, between a 7 RSAUM and a 280AI, between a 280 AI and a 280 Rem, between a 280 Rem and a 7-08, a 7-08 and a SAAMI spec 7x57, between a 7x57 and a 7x30 Waters.
Following that line of logic, there is "no realistic difference" between a 28 Nosler and a 7-30 Waters.

Shhhh. Simmer down now, guys.

Two view points. Both valid:
1. I don't want it. I don't care. It's not different enough to be worth it.**
2. I love SPEEEEEEEED. Give me the best, the fastest, the newest! Even just another 3 fps is worth it!
(3. Indifference.**)

Now, you guys go put on the 'get along' shirt. When you've all agreed to apologize and live together, you can hug and come back out to play.

**(For the record, I'm somewhere between 'not different enough' and 'indifferent' on this one.)

Weatherby, Lazzeroni, Saturn-ICL, STWs, and now Nosler.............Not to mention all the wildcats I have made in the last 50 years that are equal to of faster then those being pitched to you today.

All are just big powder bottles under standard bore sizes. All are duping everyone they can to believe that somehow going faster is "better". Speed impresses many American because of the cleverness of the advertising industry. But speed comes at a price. Bore life, recoil, noise level and cost of ammo, all of which work against you in one way of another. Ammo cost and bore life being the most vital.

Shooting a lot with a particular rifle makes for gains is skill, but re-barreling it all the time takes a lot of money, and so dose very expensive ammo. A lot of money spent is important to most shooters because we all have a set amount we can spend to gain our skills and I have seen that firing many thousands of rounds from a 7-08 or a 308 gains a shooter a LOT more skill then firing a few dozen or hundred from a stupendous magnum.

Over-bore magnums are made to sell to those that do not fire several thousand rounds from one rifle every year,

or to those that have unlimited money.

But for killing game I have not seen any real advantage of any of them over what they were trying to replace. Yes they can shoot flatter and yes they can have less flight time. And if the bullet hit at too high a velocity they do not kill better, but in fact don't kill as well, because they break up and don't penetrate as well or veer off course in the game as often as not.

Sure, they can and often do kill well, but anyone that says they kill better has not killed a lot of game with a 280, a 270 a 30-06 a 308 or any of the "standards". Faster bullets don't really have much more discernible effect on a bullet's killing power once it's going fast enough to fully expand. It can however work against you from time to time.

"Flatter and less flight time.... those 2 features DO NOT make the shooter a better shot. Accuracy is about what size target you can hit every time, not some times, and the difference between (for example) a 280 Rem and a 28 Nosler when you look at the distance you can place 5 out of 5 on a 6" target is .....ZERO.

You see, if you have an accurate rifle and you can hold it still, you can make hits. Even if you have to hold your cross hair 8" higher. If you can't hold it still you miss, even if you miss with a faster bullet.

I don't care if a fellow hunter wants one or uses one. I make them on demand fairly often. It's good for business. I have been gunsmithing since 1968 and I personally have made many such wildcats and high volume magnums and I have used them for decades.
They really are just a sales pitch. Not an improvement.

I do not say they are not good. They work fine.

I do say they are not "better."

Last edited:
Wyosmith, I don't plink with the "boomers. I work up loads for them, work up dope sheets with them, then shoot game with them. I practice with my old sniper rifle and my 1k yd bench guns. I must admit, a 308 win is hitting pretty dang soft on deer at 800 yards. A 7 RUM is still putting lightning strikes on them. Ethics of long range hunting aside, that is what the 28 Nos is designed for.

Last edited:
If I seemed argumentative, I apologize. You guys are cool with me and I enjoy the back and forth. No arguing here.

Wyosmith said what I meant to say but much better than I did.

reynolds357, I agree a 308 is too little at that range. But what about the 300 Win Mag vs 30 Nosler? Yes the nosler has a little more, but you have to adjust for drop at that range and the slight difference doesn't make enough of a difference FOR ME to justify a new caliber and dies and such.

Getting back to the 28 vs 7mmRM, they are "close enough" IMO. I would not use my 280 at 700 yards. Like the 308, it's not enough. The 28 will certainly shoot "flatter" at longer point blank range and if that is how you use it then yes it's better. But your not gonna use PBR at 700+ yards.

You obviously have a good bit of experience with the 7mm bore. It's my favorite as well.

Have fun.

Back