270 WSM vs 264 Win Mag

270 WSM

Save your money for a while and get the .270 WSM. If your heart has wanted it that long, get it. I have hunted with a Mod 70 .270 since 1957. I have no desire for a .270 WSM. In a "quick let's go" I grab that old .270 even today. I got old and had too many hunting rifles. So I sighted every hunting rifle I own now dead on @ 200 yards.
Now for your post. I had a .264 Win. and it got stolen in the 60's. In 1965 I bought a 7m/m rem mag. Since then I got a gunsmith put together 6.5x.284. Off a bench that rifle shoots. It liked 120 gr. bullets with speed.
Then about 3 years ago, I had some Cabela points, I bought from them what was advertised as a Winchester copy of a pre 64 in .264 Win Mag. 26' barrel, iron sights, even the bulge on the barrel where the rear site is mounted. There was no stock to barrel thread.
It shoots good. I only hand load 140 gr. in it.
And as far as barrel burners.
Any over bore will burn up throats fast. The old 220 Swift and no doubt the .219 Zipper did.Here's how I look at it. I work up loads on every caliber I shoot. I want the projectile going as fast as possible with accuracy. It generally takes me 25 to 40 experimental loads to get what I want. After that and with a deer-elk-antelope hunting rifle, I load up 20 hunting rounds a year and probably fire 3. I would have to live to be 187 years old to burn out one of my hunting rifles.
Varmint guys are a major exception. They should probably carry an extra rifle barrel in their pick-up.....

Somewhere in the back of my brain, I seem to remember those copies of the pre-64 by Cabelas. Now, I'm wondering why I didn't snag one.

The only luck we have had extending barrel life is nitride treating the bore. It definitely extends barrel life, but it is a crap shoot as to what it will do to accuracy. Unless it is a hand lapped barrel, you have to shoot it about fifty times before you can treat it. If you leave any copper in, results are poor.

But for the 7MM Rem Mag, the .264 WM might still be around.

There is no practical difference between the .270 Win & .270 Win shorty.

Terrible barrel wear. The .264 is a barrel burner, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I do not know exact count, but all were definitely under 1000 rounds. Probably in the high 800's to mid 900's.

I agree that the 264 is a bit too overbore and barrel life will be on the short side regardless, but I have to wonder how much of the terrible barrel burning is due to:

I run the .264 Win Mags. according to some old data that is well above current published max. Due to the hot loads, case life is not wonderful. Winchester cases are the best I have used(for life, not quality) and they last 6 or 7 times before the primer pockets get too loose.

At any rate, I'd recommend the 270 WSM. Shoots plenty flat, ammo is easy to find, better barrel life and all in a short action.

Picked up a new FN Winchester M70 in 264 WM last summer....love it at the range and can't wait to take it back home to Kansas looking for a big ole white tail.....

Nunya

its_a_dinger wrote:

270 WSM vs 264 Win Mag
The reason I have selected these two cartridges is because they are surprisingly close in drop and drift with the 270 winning at energy, all measured out to 1000yds. I don't feel the need to go to a .30+ cal because I will be punching paper/steel and won't enjoy the recoil/price.

dinger,

I sure sounds like you want a 1000 yd target rifle,
yet your picking hunting cartridges.

Have you given any thought to picking a rifle - If so what?

RaySendero wrote:

dinger,

I sure sounds like you want a 1000 yd target rifle,
yet your picking hunting cartridges.

Have you given any thought to picking a rifle - If so what?

dinger,

The reasons I mentioned this is that:

1) At 1,000 yds, the rifle will be more of a factor for accuracy, than the cartridge.

2) The cartridges you are thinking about will certainly work.
But the resale and value of that rifle will be better if
you use a more common target one like edward just said.

Back