.270 Winchester

I know roper, my magazine capability is fine, really because my Smith reamed my chamber with a short throat, I'm sure the magazine had a lot to do with it, however maybe they wouldn't be so bad other than robbing my powder capacity. Like Taylorce1 said I'd be giving up more powder room than maybe the testing is worth.
Now those matrix bullets are at the threshold, and could be a better fit for stretching my .270 winchester's legs.....
See I have an affliction, it's called see how many different bullets my rifle will shoot well, and a lot of the times I should just leave them the he'll alone....:o

Taylorce1, if a fellow isn't turret twisting, he'd better think in inches for holdover purposes.

.... yes, and if a fella can't guage holdover by the sight he has, be it duplex, mil-dot, irons or whatever, he has not spent enough time on the trigger of that gun.......

A rangefinder is fine tool ( I have a good one) .... and so are fancy scopes and ballistic calculators ....but they are no substitute for real world PRACTICE...... I envy the lifestyle my Grandfather had, where he had his rifle with him every day, and ample opportunities to shoot for something that mattered.... I watched him make shots that most folks would call BS on if they had not seen it with their own eyes...... he did miss, but learned something with every shot, hit or miss ..... and he shot a lot, with the same rifle, for decades....... there was a slight learning curve when his eyes needed a scope, but all things can be learned given enough time........ once you are retired, time is ample ;) .....

Medium to large game. Anything from elk to deer to moose to grizzly bear.

Personally, of that assortment, I would use the .270 for black bear, deer, and elk and perhaps moose and get something with more powerful for grizzly bear. Never hunted grizzly bears, but if I did, I'd be in the market for a 375 H&H personally. That would handle most of the dangerous game animals.

If you want velocity, go for a "magnum".

If you want 'different' and energy, I'd say .35 Whelen.
Properly loaded with a 200 gr or 220 gr bullet, you can exceed the muzzle velocities of a 180 gr or 200 gr bullet in .30-06 by 70-180 fps.
Depending upon the bullet, down-range energy can be below, on-par, or above a comparable .30-06 load (really depends on ballistic coefficient). But, in general, trajectories for 200s in .35 Whelen are within 2" of 180s in .30-06 at 200 yards, and still within 12" of .30-06 at 500 yards.

It's a 'thumper' that can go the distance.

I'm 74 and far back as I can remember Nosler has made 160gr Partition for the 270 and Speer at one time made 170gr RN. The 1/10 twist handle handle those bullets.

Guess who's tumbling 100 .270 Winchester cases? That's right......
Gonna finish off a box of 130 grain Btips from Nosler, and try some 130 grn Partitions and H4831sc.....
I'm going to be scratching my head come deer season because of some many bullet choices.....:D

This rifle really does well with IMR 4451 and 130 grn Btips, can't wait to chrono that load.
150 grn ABLR'S and Magpro, (thanks Taylorce1) is real nice too, still kind of tweaking that load. But not much needed really.

Back