270 Winchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keg

I am looking for some opinions on the 270.... I heard a fella say the other day that the 270 with 130 grain bullets was a horrible deer round.... He said it was too fast and would zip thru a deer with little expansion.... Small hole in..Small hole out.... What is your opinion and what is a good bullet that will expand?

Last edited:
Funny how every deer my father's shot with his .270 has gone less than 50 feet after being shot... Generally they're DRT... With a good bullet the .270 is a deer killing SOB... There are many good deer bullets... Examples being the Sierra Gameking, Nosler Accubond, Nosler Partition etc... etc...

The 130 grain .277 projectile has been a good deer bullet since its inception(1923), as far as I know. Look up Jack O'Connor, he was a famous hunter and gun writer, the .270 Win and the 130 grain bullet was his favorite.

As far as modern 130 grain .270 bullets go, they're better than they have ever been and work great on deer.

My considered opinion is the man you got your information from didn't know what he was talking about.

here we go

Caliber debate ahead. The .270 is a great deer round and the 130 gr slug is the weight that made the calibers reputation. The high priest of the .270 was OCONNER, and he liked the W-W 130 Silvertip in its original configuration.

Recently, writer BODDINGTON stated that the .270 may be the ideal deer ctg. Any modern 130 will expand just fine on deer. If I shoot .270 at a deer these days (not often) I use the old W-W silver tip, or a Nosler Ballistic tip.

I've killed more deer with a 270/130 than with anything else. I started out using the expensive Nosler Partition bullet but then I realized I don't need the high-tech bullet for whitetails at 200 yards. I switched to hunting with my practice bullet, the 130 Hornady spire point. I've never lost a deer hit with one, and they rarely travel more than 20 yards before dropping.

Your friend is sadly misinformed. :o

I heard a fella say the other day that the 270 with 130 grain bullets was a horrible deer round.

Anyone that tells you that has no idea what he's talking about. His opinions are worthless simply because he spouts things that have no basis in fact. The fact is that the .270 with 130 grain bullets is a magnificent deer combo. That fella would probably tell you that the .30-30 is an obsolete caliber, and that the .30-06 is too powerful.

Pay no attention to such nitwits.

He's wrong. I've using it for over 30 years and have yet to lose a deer. Most of the time they are DRT, but occasionally they may jump when shot and expire within a few yards.

.270 Cal

Rounds and bullet weights do not survive for yrs(in the market place) if they are not fine rounds to begin with, gezz i would hate to see this guys ideas on 25-06 or 243. They survive in the market place because they are some of the best now and also in the past. Personally i love all four including 30-06,i can buy them at any mom&pop gun shop or just about any hardware store or big box store. I can think of a dozen so-called excellent rounds that did not survive 5 yrs on the market. 270 is in my top 4 or 5 calibers for sure in a rifle. They along with a few others have stood the test of time and have taken millions of whitetails and muleys,along with elk,caribou etc. Man some statements made,whats next bash the .308 along with an 06.

This "fella" has no clue what he is talking about, pay no attention to him. The 270 Winchester shooting a 130 grn bullet is one of the best deer rounds ever. Low recoil, accurate, and fully capable of killing deer at ranges most of us would not shoot. All the major bullet manufactures make excellent bullets for the 270, Sierra and Nosler being my favorites.

keg said:
I am looking for some opinions on the 270.... I heard a fella say the other day that the 270 with 130 grain bullets was a horrible deer round.... He said it was too fast and would zip thru a deer with little expansion.... Small hole..Small hole out.... What is your opinion and what is a good bullet that will expand?

This fellow is what we would call an "idiot", if we were into name calling.

Bullets don't need "time" to expand, they need "energy". Energy comes from speed.

All else being equal, a bullet that impacts at 3,000 fps will expand better and sooner than the same bullet at 2,000 fps.

I would ask the guy how, if bullets that go too fast don't expand, I can blow woodchucks to smithereens with bullets that go 4,000 fps. I mean, that bullet passes through a woodchuck in like 1/4000th of a second. How could it POSSIBLY have "time" to expand?

The 270 is a very good deer round. I'm very tempted to get a 270 barrel for my Encore. See, I'm that guys worst nightmare.... I like to push light bullets at very high speeds. The 270Win can push an 85gr Barnes TTSX at just short of 4,000 fps from a 24" barrel and nearly 4,100 with a 28" Pro Hunter barrel.

For "normal" rounds, I like the 7mm-08 somewhat better than the 270Win but the 270 is an excellent deer cartridge.

Most of this comes down to personal preference. Anything from roughly 243 on up will do the job very well.

I know everyone has already jumped on this bandwagon but vie got to hop on too. I shot around 40 deer with a 270 before switching to 300wm. There was absolutely no reason I had to switch because of caliber; the 270 was my dad's rifle that his dad gave to him and I could finally afford my own rifle, so I got a 300 because that's what I wanted. ( may go after grizzlies some day you know). Any ways after a dozen or so deer shot with rem150 grain core locks, I went to the 130 grain Winchester silver tips. I can say from first hand experience that a lighter bullet going faster leaves a much, much bigger hole on exit than a heavier bullet going slower. Have absolutely no idea where your friend got his info. 270 130 grain bullets WILL blow a hole in a deer. Maybe he shot one at 800 yards or something ( I doubt it). He ought to see what a 150 grain Winchester pp will do out of that 300 WM compared to the 180.

As having killed a fair number of deer with a 270 I will say that bullet selection greatly effects its overall performance. I'll give you an example: When I first started hunting with a 270, many years ago, I used 130gr Remington Core-lokts. Generally, deer shot behind the shoulder and through the ribs didn't show much signs of being hit and left weak blood trails. Not every time mind you but, a fair number times. Later I switched to Federal Premium loaded with the 130gr Sierra and noticed a drastic improvement. Better blood trail, when need, and deer reacted more noticeably to the shot. These are just my observations and opinions but several of my hunting buddies have noticed the same thing...

He said it was too fast and would zip thru a deer with little expansion.... Small hole..Small hole out.... What is your opinion and what is a good bullet that will expand?

Horsefeathers. Bullsqueeze. Nonesuch.

If anything, a 130gr @ 3000 f/sec bullet of conventional construction might fragment explosively..... I had a 130gr Winchester Silvertip do that- still killed the deer.

A 130 grain bullet going 3000 fps causes a devasting wound.

I think you meant "devastating"....... (I'm not sure how deadly a deva sting is....) That might be the only complaint I can think of re: the .270 on deer. At close ranges, there can be quite a bit of "bloodshot"/bruised meat around the wound, particularly if the animal is shot high in the shoulder or neck, such that bones are hit. A lot of guys like to shoot them there, as they usually drop to the shot that way. It also blows bullet and bone fragments through some good meat......

I prefer to shoot them in the lungs, and use a 150gr SGK boat tail @ 2900..... they may run a bit, but none has gone very far, and all have left a good blood trail..... still makes a mess of the lungs and heart, but I don't eat those.

Last edited:
I would not hesitate to use a .270 for deer hunting, BUT, I have to agree with Big Pard. The man may have had a bad experience with a certain type of bullet. The laws of physics mean nothing unless all the variables are added in. I have had problems like that with .257 dia. RN Hornady bullets and I am not the only one. One guy was complaining about his .243 acting like that. Tell your friend to try a different brand of bullet. I had a bad experience with Buckshot once and never had anything good to say about it again, yet this forum has dozens of hunters that think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The .270 is absolutely the best deer going using 130 corelok or similar bullets. They only go through if you are using bullets designed for elk or something. Every deer I've shot with them has dropped on the spot, without knowing what hit it. No limitations on range, low cost ammo, not bad on recoil. What more could you ask?

And if you shoot them in the lungs (behind the shoulder) like you're SUPPOSED to there is no meat damage.

My friend from Texas uses a 270Win with 130 gr bullets and I need both hands and both feet to count the number of deer he has downed.

Empirical evidence tells me that your friend is thinking of something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back