270 Win for Hunting: Bullet Construction

Lots of hunters like the .270. I don't. If I was given a new .270, I'd check my pockets to see if I had enough $$ to trade it for something I consider worthwhile. If I'm going to get kicked as much as the .270 kicks, I'll use the Daddy(30/06). If I want a flatter shooting medium game round than the 30/06, I'll use the 25/06.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the Nosler ballistic tips really like to fragment. Of all the hunting bullets I've used to date for deer and mule deer (have yet to Elk hunt), they are the least likely to pass through or be recovered intact. The Accubonds, however, seem to pass through well, and the one I've ever recovered was still at about 75% weight.

I use the 130 Ballistic on Texas deer. They do blow up at times even on our small deer. I would not use a BT on elk. Never. Use the 150 Partition or other heavy duty bullet. I think even a power point or cor-lokd would be better than a BT on an elk. They do just fine on deer too.
I use the BT on deer because it seems a little more accurate in my rifle.

I like the 140 grain Nosler Accubonds on moose and would recommend them for elk, though I haven't hunted them, but the moose dropped dead in 15 yards, with one shot at 270 yards from my .270 Win. First blood from my new Rem 700 CDL Stainless Fluted, with custom, bedded stock.

I'll use that load for deer this season and expect good results out to 400 yards (my limit for sensible deer shots).

The load delivers 5/8" groups at 100 yards, which is way better than needed, but confidence-building. :)

I lived in north-central Wyoming until I was a teenager. The stores sell stacks of core-lokt ammo to the residents each Fall. My suggestion is 150 grain bullets for elk and plan to shoot into the chest from a broadside presentation. Don't hesitate to fire a quick second shot.

My Grandad (1889-1973) and I hunted together many times with our 30-30 carbines shooting 170 grain ammo. Many elk were slain and none got away but our shots rarely exceeded 100 yards or so. My point is that two quick shots into the chest organs will down an elk quickly.

Jack

Are the ELD-X bullets accurate in your rifle? If they are don't over think it, use them. An accurate bullet 130 grains and up will tip over deer and elk.

I've used 130 grain Core Lokt and SGK bullets on cow elk. You have to be patient and try not to shoot through heavy bone but they work just fine. I've also used 150 grain Sierra Pro Hunters and Nosler Partition bullets, and I can bust shoulders just fine. I'd probably go for either the 130 TTSX or 140 grain Accubond in the .270 Win for one bullet to use on everything.

The ELD-X is a bullet I haven't used but the bullet is heavy enough with enough SD to make me believe it'll work just fine.

Last edited:
A friend of mine talked to a bullet maker who said don't use the 130 within 100 yds [ too fragile ] . On elk the 150 is better and at 100 + the SD holds it's velocity better. You can always use a premium bullet for better performance..
As a guy who has butchered but never taken elk I certainly agree.
I'm a fan of Barnes for rifle or handgun . BTW Core-Loc bullets are premium !

Back