.270 or .308 for Whitetails?

truth be told, I have a .308 I can use. I do like the flatter trajectory on the .270 though. I had heard from some of my fellow hunters that the .270 was great for white tail.

LOL, ok, I understand. The 270 is a wicked deer round. Have you considered a 7mm-08 or the 260 Rem?

I prefer a 280 to the 270 even if I use a 7x57 more and a 7-30 Waters more than everything else combined.

grimel, you are going to get me in trouble with the wife because now I am going to have to look at those calibers. :D Oh well, look out safe and wallet I'm filling one and emptying the other!

grimel, you are going to get me in trouble with the wife because now I am going to have to look at those calibers.

My work here is done. ;) One reason I love my Contender is being able to play with new calibers relatively cheaply. Makes a nice carbine <38in <6lbs scoped.

When you consider, that there exists no deer on the North American continent that can't be taken with a .257 caliber rifle in one configuration or another, then your question is essentially moot.

Just pick one. Either will do the job.

Exactly.

By the way, many moose and black bear are taken every year here in New England with 30-30, .300 Savage, .44 mag, and many other cartidges smaller than 30-06. Some bigger cartridges might be a better choice for some hunters but most hunters are best off with the firearm they are most proficient with.

better gun...

In my oppinion, i like the 270 better. I like alittle more weight to my rifle, when braced, its alot easier to hold steady. I have more experience with the 270 anyhow.

If I had both, which I do, I'd take them out for a side by side comparison with the loads I like best in each and see which one was the most consistent for me.

It helps if its the same rifle in both calibers. My only problem with the 270 is what I am used to. I've used the 308 for so long that when I practice chambering a second round for the 270, it seems like such a loooong pull on the bolt. But, thats not the rifle-its the shooter.

Prefer the .308, shorter bolt throw, heavier bullet choice, less muzzle noise, but this is a personal preference. Go with the calibre and cartridge combination that works best for you.

270-308

You have answered your own question. You put a 270 barrel on your rifle! They are both fine cartridges. Good luck with your 270...

As has been mentioned, less than 100 yards either would do fine. If you own a 270 use it. If you are looking for a new gun a lever action 44 or 30-30 would make the deer just as dead and would give ou something different to try. A short quick handling gun in a caliber (30-30) has killed more white tails than any other.

I really don't see the justification in choosing the .270 over .308 because the .270 is a "flatter shooter." They're both far beyond most calibers in that respect. Either is plenty good for any whitetail out there and will reach out and touch one at a darned impressive range.

That said... I'm with Longbowshooter. I've had many other rifles, but the ones I grab most often for deep woods hunting in KY (<200 yard shots) are my .35 Rem and 30-30 lever guns. At closer ranges, a .308 can do tremendous, maybe even excessive (in my opinion) damage to a whitetail. I took 3 deer with mine before selling it off for something lighter and more packable.

I've used a .270 all of my deer hunting career. I highly recommend it.

p.s. If you want to try all those different calibers and don't want to get in trouble with the wife, buy a large gun safe and don't let her know the combo.
I have found it helpful in "disguising" my hobby.

Good Luck!

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
High Mountain Hunting Supply

Back