270 in to the abyss

lucky 7 maggie

There are various reasons for why im incline to keep the 7 maggie...some of it is sort of sentimental....but the practical reasons stand higher....that 7 maggie is the first rifle ive ever owned...its very pickie but it can shoot well...and best of all it just fits me very well. Ammo for it is reasonable more expensive than 270 but i now reload and dont find that an issue as long as i jave powder. Im a big fan of long range hunting...maybe to 650 yards max and thats another bonus with the maggie...not the reach..but the knock down energy at longer ranges i think its a bit better than the 270. On the flip side of the coin i guess if i sharpen my stalking skills and hunt at closer ranges....the 270 would be more ideal...but u never know...last season i got 1 wolf, 1 bull elk, 1 brown bear, and a bunch of deer with that maggie...and they all dropped..
Except winnie the pooh...he rolled and run about 20 yards....and the truth is that i absolutely love my xbolt stainless stalker...i love the a7 just as much and to a lesser degree that 223 700 is xxxxxtremelly acurate...and so is the 270....and although the 270 is also an xbolt on wood...i dont know why im not so much into it as with the other one....come to think about it....its probably not an affection to the round itself as suppoce to the rifle...so i guess i should read some of this jack O that you guys are talking about

This is a great book to start.

42ffed6df6c4af7bcf7bb83ac307157a.jpg

Here is a small idea of what JOC is all about.
3.jpg

fe18e234f60452d429186212824e954b.jpg

As far as those calibers go, the 270 is the keeper. Maybe even the 223. I doubt that I would particularly be attracted to any of your rifles unless they had compelling Walnut stocks. I like bolt-action rifles, if they are Winchester model 70's with Walnut.

Who's kidding anyone. We all know this I'd sell stuff is all hype. You all know you want to add at least 3 more to the line up.

That's how I ended up with 4 22lr and 3 30-30's. Personally the overlap doesn't bother me because if you hand load they have similar components.

Me, personally. I'd drop the 270, and the 300 Win Mag.

And I did read that correctly??? 300 Win Mag varmint???

You have the ability, as was mentioned, to use the same bullets for the Rem Mag, and the 08.
As far as using the 7mm Rem Mag on larger game, I'd do it in a heartbeat. The Rem Mag will take anything the 300 can, but with less recoil.

The name says it all...
Std7mag

:D

I'm thinking keep the 270W.
Would allow you to sell both the 7-08 and 7RM.
With the $$$$.$$ see would then best fit your hunting or pure target needs.

:)

Yup, the 270 will perform very close to the 7mm RM, plus, in many rifles, will hold a couple more rounds in the magazine. Mine is a 5+1 rifle that launches 150 grain bullets at 3,000 fps. Good enough.

While I believe the .270 is a great round, I'd keep the .223 and the 7mm Magnum and sell everything else.

The .223 will handle all the light stuff and you can load the 7mm mag. down to duplicate either the 7mm08 or the .270... and there isn't all THAT much difference between the capability of the 7mm (.284") mag. with max-loads vs. the .300 (.308") mag.

I.E., hunting-wise, the 7mm magnum will do about everything the .300 magnum will do, so sell the .300 magnum along with the .270 and the 7mm08 as well.

Then you'll have one rifle for ALL big game and one rifle for the varmints.

If you wanna "plink" or hunt squirrels, get a Ruger 10/22 rimfire and put a good 3-9x40 center-fire scope with A/O (Ajustable Objective turret) on the 10/22. Put the scope on 3x and it's good for anything you wanna do with it. Beyond 25 yards, put the scope on 4x to 6x... and put it on 9x from 75 to 100 yards or so... further if you practice at longer ranges a lot... and use the A/O to adjust OUT the parallax at ALL various ranges of less than 100 yards.

If you're a "serious" rimfire shooter, you might wanna think about using some of the money you made when you sold your 7mm08, .270 and .300 magnum to buy a full accuracy job on the 10/22 rimfire or if you REALLY want accuracy, you could try to find a CZ453 "Varmint" model (bolt-action, heavy barrel/single-set trigger) in .22 rimfire long rifle which is extremely accurate.

I put a fine quality 4-12x40mmA/O scope on my CZ453 and had my gunsmith do a full pillar-bedding job on the little gem... and I've made some "Annie" (Anschutz) owners look at their rifles and wonder what happened when the CZ made their high-priced "Annies" look inaccurate. :cool:

Incidentally, my CZ453 "loves" Wolf Match/Target ammo. :D

Of course, I didn't tell 'em the CZ was pillar-bedded, the action bedded and the heavy barrel floated...hehehehe (sneaky old guy chuckle).

You'll probably have to part with about $500 or so for the CZ453 (IF you can find someone who will part with his/hers) and another $250-$400 for the scope... and don't forget to try that Wolf Match/Target ammo... it's a winner and deadly in head-shots on squirrels, rabbits or pop cans.

You'd be SURPRISED now much parallax effects the sighting and bullet impact accuracy under 100 yards... so definitely USE the scope's A/O feature at all ranges of less than 100 yards. ;)

I realize it's "tough" letting go of your fine rifles, but the .223 and the 7mm Magnum will "do-any-job" you have for 'em... and you'll "plink" cheaper with the rimfire and at a lower report level than with the .223, but don't use the .22 rimfire for varmints except maybe gophers, ground squirrels and such.

A good hunter INSURES a quick kill on live animals so the game or varmints doesn't suffer... so ALWAYS use "enough gun".

Good luck in your quest... :)

Strength and Honor...

Ron T.

Last edited:
good point

Thats an excellent point...i could now thstbi reload down grade or up grade the 7mm rounds....which really tske rhe 7mm-08 out of the equation and the 270 and thebl 300 winnie but i will deff keep the 223 as i like it alot

Keep all the rifles which you have, and ADD either a .243 win, or a .257 Roberts, or a .25-06. Seriously.

My preference would be the .257 Roberts.

All you really need is a good 30-'06, a 22 rimfire, a 12 Gauge shotgun, and a centerfire revolver. Maybe an extra 22LR, one a rifle, the other a handgun. The rest is excess baggage.

no love for the 06

I...am...of those those rare guys 9ut there thst have absolutely no l9ve for the 30-06....no logical reasoning behind it...as popular as it may be...and as readely available as it maybe...i just never developed a thing for it.....maybe in the future if i get my hands of a coopers ill get it in a 06 and see what happens

I have an italian Beretta Garand

My first center fire rifle to fire was a 30/06 in Army boot camp Fort Polk La., we were issued M-1 rifles that had been in long term storage after returning from Korea. I loved the rifle, surprisingly the recoil was mild and pleasant to shoot plus accuracy was all I could have wanted.. Of the rifles I own I have a soft spot for the 30/06's, I own two 30/06's, two .280's, two .270's, any of these calibers would be suitable for most large game except the large bears. These calibers have been in my gun cabinet for almost 50 years and taken countless animals in my life time.. William

If it were mine, I wouldn't sell it unless I needed the funds for some other rifle I wanted more. So what if it over laps, it's always nice to have a choice of what rifle to take on a hunt...

Tony

My suggestion. Go light weight due to the terrain you hunt.
BTW: I've always been found of the 270. The terrain I hunt. Straight away its been the most (piratical choice) for me.

First off, I wouldn't get rid of any gun, done that, got nothing but regrets out of the deal.

Having said that, the 270 Win is the last round I'd get rid of. It will do anything the mags will do in this country. Without the recoil and cost.

Its a good medium between the 6.5 and 7 MMs.

Now there are excellent bullets for the 270 that weren't available in the past. Maybe not the best with light weight bullets for varmints but it will hold its own past varmints. 130 & 150s have the BC needed for deer/antelope size animals and the 150s for larger game.

The 150 SST/Ib is an excellent long range round. I load to a muzzle velocity of 2750. Its super sonic to 1500 yards having enough energy at 1000 for deer and antelope and up to 500 on elk and moose size ammo, farther is you use the berger bullets. According to Berger you need 1800 fps or higher to get those bullets to work. That means my load is good to about 750 yards.

Never sell the 270 Win. short.

^what kraigwy said, when the 270 Win came out almost 90 years ago, it was almost(and some considered it to be) a defacto magnum rifle round, there isn't much it won't do, handload it with light bullets and it will be damn fine varmint round, handload it with heavier bullets and it will take down bears(well from what i've read about the 270 Win handloaded with heavy bullets).

I have killed thousands of rodents with a 223.
I have killed 9 deer with a 270
I have killed 6 deer and two antelope with a 7mmRemMag
I have the reamer and I was shooting two of the 300WMs I built yesterday.

I would keep the 223 and the 7mmRM, based on MY experience, but much more important is which rifles YOU can hit something with.

Back