270 in to the abyss

Jpw360

Need your guys opinion here.... i have a line up of rifles a feel that in terms of practicality at least one of the is an overlap...and so i tought maybe i should get rid of it.

Here is my line up frm smallest to largest.
223 rem 700 vls
Sako a7 7mm-08
Browing xbolt hunter 270
Browininh xbolt stainless stalker 7mm rem mag
Tikka t3 varmint hb 300 win mag

I know that the 270 is a bit of an over lap between the 7mm-08 and the 7mm rem mag...

But so is the 7mm rem mag...when compared to the 300 win mag...but that 7mm win mag is my fav and i will def keep it

I have a 270 Win. Last time around on ammo runs, the stores had plenty of 270 Win. I kept one for that reason. Of course, others may do the same and it might not be as plentiful next go around. [emoji3]

I'd sell the .270 and whichever of the two maggies is least used. Of the two, though, I'd likely keep the .300.

Reasoning: The .223 works well on coyotes and prairie dogs, as well as fun-plinking and paper punching.

The 7mm08 is as good a deer killer as there is, and depending on hunter skill, okay for elk.

Either of the maggies is good, but odds are that the .300 would be better on elk. Or, long-range mulies, I guess. The .300 works well on long range targets, also. Wide range of bullet options.

Basically I agree with Art except I'd lean toward keeping the 7 mag over the 300. For 2 reasons, you've already said you like it a lot, and if you handload you can share bullets with the 7-08.

For me, I'd go with the 300 simply because I also have a 308 that ain't going anywhere.

The 7-08 will do 95% of what anyone in NA really needs and come so close to the 270 that you'll never notice, I'm betting the 7 mag doesn't get used much. I'd be tempted to just keep the 223 and 7-08.

All of the rounds you listed are great rounds, but based on my personal preference (my opinion only) I'd keep the .223 and .270 and replace the other 3 with either a .338 Win Mag or a .35 Whelen. Though since you are set on keeping the 7mm, keep it instead of the .270. But then again I'm also not very good at letting go of firearms anyway, so in reality I'd probably keep them all and just continue to add to the collection.

heavy barrel

A 300 Mag with a heavy barrel? As in a varmint or match rifle? (or a heavy tac rifle if that's your thing) All up I bet it weighs over 10 pounds!

I'd ditch that one. Before it killed me lugging it to the top of a ridge.

I'd ditch the .270 and the .300 Win Mag. If you want a medium range deer rifle, the 7mm-08 has it covered. If you want longer range the 7mm mag has it. The .300 only has an advantage if you want to launch heavy bullets for some reason. Plus, 7mm mag factory ammo seems to be much more readily available on store shelves and cheaper too.

All day long

Believe it or not Hawkeye Last season i hunted alot with that rifle...itsa heavy barrel and yes you are right the whole rig is 11lbs..but i was fine with it...i hunt for days all day long and for me didnt seem a problem as im very fit and sort of dont mind the weight....however i dont hunt on mountain terrains where climing up is a constant thing...but i guess for that application id probably go with my 7 maggie

I would keep all of these rifles

223 rem 700 vls
Browning xbolt hunter 270
Browning xbolt stainless stalker 7mm rem mag

I like the 270, that one wouldn't go, I can understand keeping the .223, the 7mm Rem mag would stay too. I'm not a fan of the 7mm-08 nor a HB 300 Win mag, I would let that one or the other go. William

Jack O'Connor would not be happy with you getting rid of the 270. I'd sell the magnums, but that's just my .02.

Thanks Jack!

I should have said I cut my eye teeth on Jack O'Connor's articles in Outdoor life, he is and remains the very best of the best writers I have read, I never missed an article of his. He is responsible for my life long love of the .270 Winchester, I've never hit an animal with my .270 that I didn't take home and I've owned several of them in my life!! Love them!! William

If you're worried about overlap, I'd sell all the magnums and the 7-08 provided that the .270 was as accurate as any other rifle you already have. Or keep the 7mm RM and sell everything else above .223 Rem. The .300 WM is just too heavy to be effective as anything else but a range toy or a blind rifle. The .270 does about 90% of what the 7mm RM does in terms of range, velocity and energy, except windage but with less recoil. Plus the .270 has about 10% better range, velocity, and energy than the 7-08 with almost identical recoil and windage.

As far as ammunition goes Midway lists 60 different varieties for 7mm RM, 52 for .270 Win, and 27 for the 7-08 Rem, so for ammunition availability the .270's right in the middle again. If you reload having one rifle vs. two is always cheaper even if you can share bullets between them. Plus you'll likely only need one type of powder and primer as well which will save on reloading expenses.

Myself I'm never worried about overlapping cartridges, I'd sell the .300 WM (just because it's a varmint) and keep the rest. Either use the money made from the sale of the rifle and upgrade optics or use it for a hunting trip. I worry about portability, accuracy, and feel far more than I think about overlap.

I'd lose both magnums. No game in North America needs a magnum of any kind. You can kill any game in North America with a .270. Mind you, the 'I want it." parts supersedes all of that.
That Tikka come in a turret? Must weigh a ton. Just curious.

I don't think you need the magnums if you got a good 270. My 300 Win of 20 years was retired in favor of the 270 Win. The key here is the quality of the rifle and the caliber. Is easy to have less rifles if what you have left are outstanding quality rifles. To be honest you could also sell the 7mm-08 as the 270 will easily take care of anything the 08 was designed to do. So there is three rifles you could loose IF you had to. You could always sell those three and build a ultra light weight mountain rifle. I did this years ago and it was the best hunting decision I ever made. Carrying a 6lbs rifle/scope all day will spoil you.

Last edited:
For me the choice would be between the .270 and the 7MM Mag. Which one is the most accurate. That's the one I'd keep. FWIW though, there's nothing wrong with a bit of overlap. Personally I'm not all that big a gan of the .270 but I dislike the 7 Mag even more. Guess that wasn't much help.
Paul B.

The. 270 is probably the most versatile cartridge....ever.

I have always thought the 7mm-08 was the more "oddball" cartridge as far as popularity, availability, etc. I would get rid of it, if you must get rid of something.

But personally, I think overlap is a good idea. I would keep them all and get a .204 Ruger or .17HMR, just to annoy the liberals.:D

I'd keep the .270, overlaps but easier shooting than the 7mm and .300 mags. I used to have a 7mm RM and a .300 H&H mag. Ended up selling the 7mm, I swear it kicked worse then the .300 with lighter bullets.

Back