270 for moose

the Hornady Interlock is a good bullet. But take a look at the InterBond. I've found that it holds together better then the Interlock and is much more accurate.

The BC of the 150 gr. Interlock is .462. The BC of the 150 Interbond is .525 (Both G1)

Its my go too elk bullet.

The Interbond I admit is more expensive, almost twice the price of the InterLock. But how many do we really shoot hunting.

If we want to get zeros and practice we can use the moderate priced SST. It has the same BC as the Interbond, when loaded the same it inpacts the same and has the same trajectory throughout the range of the bullet.

I load 50 gr. 4350 to get 2750 fps out of my Model 70. It stays super sonic to 1500 yards.

Loading the same the Interlock goes sub-sonic at 1150.

I know we don't hunt at those ranges but if it shoots better at 1500 yards its going to shoot better at 300.

My chronograph and targets cannot tell the difference between the SST and IB. I shoot a lot of 270 bullets at targets and plinking. I don't shoot that many hunting. I like the same sight settings without the cost of the IB.

I'd recommend getting a box of 150 SSTs see how they shoot. If they work out the get some IBs for the hunt.

JMHO

Not an elk or moose but this is the exit would from 150 IBs from an antelope shot at 582 (gps messured) yards.

Shot%20damage.jpg

This is a cow elk, you can see where it was hit, it went about 40 yards but that 40 yards was rolling down the hill into the creek. Shot at a measured 380 yards.

Cow%20Elk.JPG

Give the IB a look see.

Last edited:
I don't know how tough moose are in your neck of the woods, but an acquaintance of mine in Alberta shoots them with a 25-35 (not exactly a powerhouse cartridge). Place the shot well, and a 270 will drop it cleanly. Botch the shot and, well, you know . . .

I second Kraigwy. If you are going to use Hornady use the Interbond. My friends and I have killed 25 moose with 160 grain Accubonds in 7mm mags. The Interlock is very similar. By the way, we have killed our share of elk too and I agree with the statement that they are tougher than moose. Moose aren't that hard to kill, but with their mass they are not impressed with shock. It takes them a while to figure it out which is why hunters often shoot them several times before they go down. The first shot probably did the job as they seem to go down just as quickly when a second shot isn't possible, but then an insurance shot will not hurt. Don't try to save a few cents per bullet, use a premium bullet and the 270 will do the job.

A .270's certainly fine. The Nosler factory 150gr accubond long range load would be my personal choice, assuming his gun will stabilize that heavy. If I were reloading, I'd duplicate it (not that it's worth working up a load to shoot 5 rounds at sight in and 1 at a moose).

Any old 150 will do if you hit him right...

...but if he's quartering more than you think or if a front leg bone is encountered, then you'll be glad for the bonded/partitioned/A-framed penetration minded bullet. I would echo the sentiment on elk being tougher than moose. Moose don't take a ton of power. Million s have been killed with the 6.5x55, .303 British, etc. Moose CAN require a lot of penetration though. Look at the 6.5 140gr and .303 215gr and what you find is great sectional density.

Just got a text from my friend that is using his 270 with 150 gr Hornady interlocks for moose. He shot a very large cow, "1 shot, took 2 steps and dropped". Dont know the distance of the shot but will report as soon as I know more.

Murphy's Law

As many moose as have fallen to a .270 over the years, I won't say that the round is too light for them. I DO think I wouldn't go any LIGHTER in a moose gun. A great many Scandinavian hunters have dropped a great many moose with the 6.5x55, but I'D prefer something larger.

With due respect to Elmer Keith's work and memory, I don't think that a .375 H&H is necessary to drop them. I nonetheless try to set things up so that I have more than minimal power for the game animal of interest, because sometimes, bad things happen, and usually with no warning at all. Heavier, fatter bullets that will stay together well seem to anchor game the best. A .30-06 with heavy slugs should work, as should an 8x57mm Mauser (european loads) with a 185 grain or heavier projectile. I would also be tempted to use a .45-70 with a slug 350 grains or heavier, traveling at 1700 f/s or faster, where the ranges are shorter.

As it is with cat-skinning, there are many RIGHT ways to harvest moose. It's just that there's also LEGIONS of BAD ways, also, and people seem to be coming up with NEW ones, everyday.

Just got off the phone with my moose hunter, he shot the moose @ 250 yds, it took 2 steps and dropped, bullet took out both lungs and stopped at the skin on the far side. I will see him later and get pictures of the moose and the bullet used. Dressed out at 650 lbs..More to come.

This morning I could have done in a spike moose ten feet from my front deck, the critters love my backyard apple trees but not excited regarding my front yard crab apple. We have tons of mule deer but only three or four times a year is a moose observed.

Back