270 for moose

NHSHOOTER

A friend of mine was lucky enough to get picked for the fall moose hunt here in NH. He has a bolt 270 that shoots well and he is quite comfortable with it. I reload his bullets for him and I was looking for suggestions for a good moose bullet. I was thinking nosler partition in whatever grain shoots the most accurate.

Use a premium bullet , Nosler partition, Barnes all copper, Swift A-frame .Heavier weight for the lead types [150 gr ].

The Partition is never a bad choice and probably be where I'd start. It would be 150 gr, no lighter. There are better long range choices but this shouldn't be a factor. If not available, or if they just won't shoot in his gun then any of the premium bullets would probably work too.

130 grain In a mono-metal bullet or Swift A-frame, 130-160 for Nosler Partitions, 140 grain in bonded bullets and 150+ for everything else.

The A-frame is notorious for being tough due to the fact it's a bonded core partitioned bullet and it needs more velocity like all copper bullets to work well. With the Nosler PT bullet you'll loose more weight than the coppers and A-frame but even the light 130 will penetrate well, this bullet is still the standard all premium bullets are judged by. 140 grain Accubonds shoot extremely well in my .270 Win. When using standard cup-n-core bullets heavier is always better when large animals are on the list.

I'd try a few different bullets and use the one that shoots the best. Don't try and over think things for your buddy just have him focus on shooting and shot placement. IMO as long as your shooting an adequate cartridge accurately the bullet used isn't that big of a deal from what I've seen on several head of elk.

Last edited:
I've killed moose and I've killed elk. Though moose on the average are bigger then elk, elk are tougher.

I've never shot a moose with a 270 but I've killed elk with my Model 70 Featherweight in 270. Its my main hunting rifle and I would hesitate hunting any animal in North America with it.

Since your friend has a 270 and is comfortable with it, its probably the best choice for his moose hunt.

I've found the best bullet for my rifle for elk hunting is the Hornady 150 Interbond. It has good BC but is pricy, almost twice the SST 150.

The thing is the 150 SST and 150 have the same BC, meaning if they are loaded the same they have the same trajectory. The SST is cheaper so I used it for practice and target shooting and save the Interbonds for hunting. One box will last a long time if you save them for hunting and use the SST's for everything else.

The difference between the two is the core is bonded to the jacket in the IB meaning the bullet holds together.

The SST isn't bonded and comes apart, which would be that big of deal on deer and antelope but on elk or moose, I would want a bullet that holds together.

Having said that I still use the IBs on deer and antelope.

Any 130 or 140 hunting bullet will do. You don't need premium bullets. Your buddy does need to take the time for the load development and to sight in when you've found the load.

180 grain woodleigh

Woodleigh bullets (of australia) makes a 180 grain protected point bonded core bullet for .270 (I think it's designated as 180 ppsn weldcore). That's no typo, it's a 180 grain .270 bullet and it stabilizes just great in the standard 1:10 .270 twist...I know because I've been experimenting with them myself in my stock savage 110. As accurate as any of the standard weight projectiles. Been having intriguing results with rl25 and magnum primers (rl22 and I me 7828 worked fine too but I think I can getter velocity out of 25). Rl25 would normally be waaaay slow for .270 but not with a slug this heavy....case just full but not compressed at all started at 54 grains and worked up to around 56-57 as a good load, easy extraction. 58 was definitely over pressure. It's a very long bullet so it's quite deep seated and being a thick jacket bonded bullet it does better if you let it jump a little, don't seat it right on the lands. These bullets open up to inflict broader wounding at lower impact velocity than do monometal bullets. Bc is a little over .5 (pretty good). Turns the .270 into a total different animal. If your American midway USA has them, if your Canadian like me tradeex.ca has them, great customer service. Hope you give them a try.

I might add that the sectional density of this bullet is .335 which is greater (if only by a bit) than is the sectional density of such legendary penetrators as the 160 grain .264 bullet, the 175 grain 7mm, and the 220 grain .308 cal, and the 250 grain .338, and the 300 grain .375

Last edited:
can't agree

I can't agree with "any" 130 gr bullet.

Disclaimer: I have not, and never will, shoot a moose, with anything. That said, up front...........

Though I think the 130 gr Ballistic Tip is a dandy whitetail slug, I have seen too many of them self destruct on quartering shots on smallish southern whitetails (resulting in a very dead deer) to in good faith consider the 130 BT a moose bullet. I'll put the the Hornady 130 SST in there too, which is in the same class.

I'm guessing a moose can weigh ten times what a rebel whitetail can go.

I've hunted moose only once so I'm no expert. My rifle for the Saskatchewan hunt was a Savage lever gun in .308 shooting 180 grain Core-lokt ammo. Two quick shots through the chest organs and it was over. We found both bullets curled up just like the magazine pictures. My impression is that bull moose are not armor-plated.

Your 270 should do the job OK. Plan to practice shooting and cycling the action quickly for a second aimed shot.

Jack

I dont agree with just "any 130-140 bullet will do", if the chance come for me and a .270 id in my hands, Im using a Nosler Partition bullet in 140- 150, whatever shoots best in my rifle.

I would personally lean towards a bonded bullet, I like the Nosler accubond personally for all types big game animals. I have used one in 180 grain from a .300WM on a Michigan elk with great success. I would not hesitate loading one in a .270 (140 grain I think).

The Hornady interlock is a good cost effective bullet that won't completely disintegrate...the bullets I've recovered demonstrate the the interlock ring works as advertised. They are easy to make shoot accurately... But on moose with a .270 I would advise you avoid hitting bone with those. I've used the 140gr btsp interlock on a big whitetail buck and it made it through 1 shoulder and not the other. Punched a hole in its heart and the crazy thing ran about 300 yards through knee deep snow. If a deer can soak up a hit like that and not have an exit (virtually no blood trail at all) what do you think a moose will be able to sustain?

.270 should be enough

I've have been 2 moose pass through my freezer due to .243 so I think .270 will do the job considering you have a clean shot.

I have loaded some 150 interlocks with RL22 with good results with 55grs not so with 56 grs, even better results with IMR 4350, 1"@ 100 yds, have yet to try groups at 200 yds, did take a few shots to check for shot drop at 200, about 3" drop with the RL22 and about 1.5" with the 4350. Not a real test since my friend was getting a bit sore and it was getting late in the eve. More results to come!!!!

Last edited:
Back