264 Win Mag

I'm working with StaBall 6.5 in a few rounds. But I'm good with the Vihtavouri powder. My issue, as you see, is twist rate on the barrel. I'm looking at this rifle as a 6.5x55 on steroids. I like the Swede. I will see how much advantage I can gain with this round. BTW, if it's bigger than a deer, I think the 7mm Rem Mag is superior. Kicks more, though. In fact, I'm with Elmer: go 338! But, although it has been left behind by a bunch of new 6.5s, I'm planning on making this old round work for me.

Swedish Mauser has twist rate of 1:7.87. It can stabilize bullets up to 1.35" long.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Dutch M95 also had the same, or very similar, twist rate.

As originally introduced, both cartridges had very long, very heavy bullets.

The result was unbelievable penetration. DWM Bell, the African elephant hunter, liked the military 6.5s because those long bullets would penetrate an elephant's skull like nobody's business.

I've been shooting 6.5x55 for a good while. My Carl Gustafs M96 likes 142 SMK over a modest load of Re-22. Even with the original sights, it makes me look like a real marksman. The other is an old FN Mauser 98 that a past owner had restocked, installed a Timney trigger, and rechambered the original barrel to 8mm-06. It didn't shoot that well, so I installed a Brownell's 6.5x55 barrel ($86 at the time!). Recently confirmed that those are indeed a 1:9 twist. That rifle shoots traditional GameKing 130 and 140 inside an inch. Haven't tried the new GameChangers, but they're probably a bit too long. So here's the plan.

That old FN also does real good with Hornady Interlock 160s and (need to confirm at the range) Lapua Mega 155s. Where I hunt in my native state of PA, these have plenty of reach and a little more punch than the classic 300 Savage. So a new diet for the FN. Those GameKings will go to the Flaig's Mauser. Pretty sure they'll work. And, new barrel someday.

Remember, folks, I bought this rifle because it came from Flaig's. I'll work the caliber and have fun, but I would hesitate to recommend this or any other hot 6.5. The Creedmoor is a worthy successor the old Swede, but if you want a hot smallbore, my vote goes to the 257 Weatherby. And for a general hunter, I favor the 7mm bore.

Interesting range day. Based on the initial 5 rounds, I loaded some 140 SGK over N568. Starting from my initial load, I went up in 1% increments. Ended up a little lower than the QL projection, right at Sierra's 3,000 fps max. But that load started to spread out in group size and Std. My best load was 66.4 gr, yielding 2,933 fps, 6.0 Std, and <1" group. I'll take that for now.

OK, added a little N568 and got my 140 GameKings up to 3,100. Grouping 1 1/2" at 150 yards. Sighted 3" high at that range, it doesn't go 3" low until it hits 300. So, good load. Still fooling with 120 TSX, but I'm where I need to be.

PS: My ballistics calculator and my target say the 1.252 GameKings do just fine.

Last edited:
Back