$2500 Budget-Which Deer Rifle & Scope?

I've always thought the falling block is the most efficient
how does the lock time on the falling block compare to the Ruger #1 which is the Rugers biggest downfall. Slow lock time equalls more difficult accuracy. Bolt actions have very fast lock time that is one of the reasons they are the standard for benchrest. Don't get me wrong #1's are great rifles, I just dought the are the most efficient design out there.

I was refering to the use of OAL. Perhaps "efficiency" is not the best term. I won't argue that a falling block is more accurate than a bolt gun, but they certainly have the edge on many other actions. In a hunting gun it is rarely neccessary to wring that last bit of accuracy. Length is a premium issue though. Save me 4" and some weight and I will be more pleased with my hunter.

edited for spelliing :eek:

if i had that money and was buying a once in lifetime rifle. I would look at a dakota. hand made and really nice.

Of the two guns you have narrowed it down to. I really like the feel of the Kimber but have not had enough experience with them to make a long time decision based on feel.

The Remington, You know it is going to be accurate. That is a given. I would look at a custom shop 700 or a sporter 40X for Glass. I would not go with anything but Leupold. None of the high end euro glass I have tried have appreciable better optics than the VIII line of Leupold. I have experiance with brands Z L and S> The best of all have been the Lieca's but that is so slight an improvement for triple the money that i would not spend the money.

I would not buy a magnum. It is not needed for deer, and they burn out barrels much faster. I would prefer to shoot a 270, a 30-06 or a .308

Just my two cents

Back