$250 Savage with scope

It’s no big deal there are plenty of guys with more expensive rifles that dont shoot any better and guys with good rifles and cheap glass that would do better. They don’t care they hunt once a year and hit a deer under 100yds. The yardage is the big thing. I find most guys get carried away and can’t tell 35yds from 100 when taking about shooting. But in relation to a football game they can call it to the foot. I get bored listening to 500yd kills in country you can’t see 100yds.
A few years ago I was checking my zero on my rifle I had not used since the last deer season. I was shooting at 200 yards when this guy drives up to the next bench. I had not put up my target yet and told him that now would be a good time as I was walking down and he did the same than set up. He pulls out this magnificent piece of art with a carbon barrel and a scope just as powerful as my spotting scope.

I shoot my first 3 shot group check, let rifle cool down 10 minutes and shoot again 3 shots to confirm. Both times both groups were inside the 1" squares so I know it is still hold sub moa groups. He shoots like twelve shots and than gets dialed in. He gets his group he wants and invites me to look through his scope which confirms my initial thought, it was a powerful scope. His 3 shot group were almost touching and closer than mine. I asked him if he did not mind divulging his information what the rifle and scope cost and he proudly stated $9000. I looked at my get up a Tikka T3 lite in 30-06 and my Sigthron scope $900 at most for both.
For me I could not see spending $8100 more to shrink my group down by .002 more. I figured I could achieve that when I reloaded for the rifle instead of using the Remington Core-lokt factory ammo.

I’m not sure that is where I’m going.....I’m sure a $9000 rifle is a fine tool.....but since the best quality barrel costs $700, the best quality action costs $1500, the best quality stock is about $800 and a pretty damn good optic runs about $3000, where did he spend the other $3000? Just asking...

Back to the op....basically, the action and barrel are similar to the 110. The action surely has less machining time in it. I would guess barrel making is the same, but I do wonder is they do anything to select barrels for their 12’s because those generally shoot quite well.

The difference is really in the stock and trigger. Those are terrible looking stocks, but they must be good enough as some of these guns group well enough.

remember, a rifle with iron sights is not accurate. Also please remember that a bolt action rifle as used by any world military in ww1 or ww2 are not supposed to be accurate past 100 yards, with a scope.

Remember a guy named Alvin York and what he used to do the things that got him decorated.

A few years back the local BiMart store was closing out of the gen1 Axis rifles. I bought one in .270 and it's been a long time but I think it was right around 200 bucks.

I had to buy mounts and I put on a scope I had lying around but as I recall I was getting close to 1" groups at 100 yards with it. It's definitely better than minute of deer. I didn't need it when I bought it and I ended up giving it to one of my grandsons. Right now he has lost all interest in hunting but I'm hoping he regains it at some point...

Tony

I work for Bass Pro Shops and we have the $250.00 Axis package, and they fly off the shelves. The buyers are well aware that they are, in essence, buying a receiver, barrel and bolt. The stock is crappy, the scope worse, but the buyers all say the same thing, it's a great truck gun, loaner gun, it matters not to the buyers. It's a $250.00 gun that does what its supposed to do.

remember, a rifle with iron sights is not accurate. Also please remember that a bolt action rifle as used by any world military in ww1 or ww2 are not supposed to be accurate past 100 yards, with a scope....

You have got to be kidding. I “remember” things a bit differently....

Back