$250 Savage with scope

Nathan

Anybody buy one of these? What were your results? I’m really surprised Savage would stoop that low, but they have.

Can they shoot? I mean, I think 2” with factory fodder at 100 yards would be good enough.

Last edited:
It would be helpful if you mentioned the model and chambering you are talking about. And I would think that a 1 moa expectation with bulk factory ammo is rather optimistic....

I gather you're talking about an axis xp combo, why would "savage stoop that low?" Because right out of the box it probably is good enough that 99% of hunters can take their game at 99% of the distances they typically shoot at.

The worst part is usually the scope which in the few combo packages I've bought I gave way or junked them.

The barrel, bolt and receiver are generally much more than good enough if you're willing to put the time and money in to make the gun better. A large percentage of hunters do not practice much or care much about one-hole all day long at 1000 yds accuracy--many of whom don't shoot at all until the week before deer season, buy a box of coreloks, put a few bullets into a paper plate at 100 yds and call it good.

2" at 100 yards is 2 MOA, not 1.

That’s my fault...I had 2” at 100 yds written.

Stagpanther: That is why I have the question posted. I know a bare Savage Axis action is serviceable. The barrels are capable of decent accuracy or better.....ut that stock. It looks like a pos that ignores basic action holding stability and ergonomics. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Then there is the scope. I know a serviceable scope can sell for $250, maybe $150, but $250 with the rifle?

The mount looks unserviceable, but don’t they owe it to you to sell something that will hold zero through a couple boxes of ammo, at least?

So, I would buy knowing it probably needs a $250-$350 Boyd’s or B&C stock treatment, but the person asking me about it is thinking it is a full package ready to go. That said, a long shot the this person would be 250 yards.

Nathan--I've bought a dozen or so axis rifles and it isn't because I like inaccurate rifles. All manufacturers have bottom end guns that feature "Tupperware stocks" as a marketing ploy to appeal to the budget-minded hunter who wants a lightweight gun; but competition in that niche has gradually pushed the quality of even the Tupperware stocks to improving. You're not going to get a quality rigid pillared and bedded stock in that price range. End of story. One of the tightest 1-hole groups I've ever shot was with a $250 axis in 308 @100 yds--so you're really buying the barrel and receiver and, should you want to, it's up to you to decide how much "home improvement" you want to do. The newer axis 2's for just a bit more but without a scope would be the way to go IMO if you're budget shopping--the stock is improved and also comes with the excellent accutrigger. If your guy is looking for a lightweight rifle that will drop game--the axis is more than up to the task. If he also is looking to spending hours bench shooting looking for the best groups in handloads (which is mostly what I do) then he may be disappointed with the stock rifle--but it can still be made into a very good shooter without too much investment. The manufacturers know darn well at what point the consumer is going to be forced to upgrade to their more expensive models.

Nathan--I've bought a dozen or so axis rifles and it isn't because I like inaccurate rifles. All manufacturers have bottom end guns that feature "Tupperware stocks" as a marketing ploy to appeal to the budget-minded hunter who wants a lightweight gun; but competition in that niche has gradually pushed the quality of even the Tupperware stocks to improving. You're not going to get a quality rigid pillared and bedded stock in that price range. End of story. One of the tightest 1-hole groups I've ever shot was with a $250 axis in 308 @100 yds--so you're really buying the barrel and receiver and, should you want to, it's up to you to decide how much "home improvement" you want to do. The newer axis 2's for just a bit more but without a scope would be the way to go IMO if you're budget shopping--the stock is improved and also comes with the excellent accutrigger. If your guy is looking for a lightweight rifle that will drop game--the axis is more than up to the task. If he also is looking to spending hours bench shooting looking for the best groups in handloads (which is mostly what I do) then he may be disappointed with the stock rifle--but it can still be made into a very good shooter without too much investment. The manufacturers know darn well at what point the consumer is going to be forced to upgrade to their more expensive models.

Right on post!

I gather you're talking about an axis xp combo, why would "savage stoop that low?" Because right out of the box it probably is good enough that 99% of hunters can take their game at 99% of the distances they typically shoot at.

The worst part is usually the scope which in the few combo packages I've bought I gave way or junked them.

The barrel, bolt and receiver are generally much more than good enough if you're willing to put the time and money in to make the gun better. A large percentage of hunters do not practice much or care much about one-hole all day long at 1000 yds accuracy--many of whom don't shoot at all until the week before deer season, buy a box of coreloks, put a few bullets into a paper plate at 100 yds and call it good.

Being the frugal b*stard I am, don't junk the scope. I found scope's I don't care for work well on 22 RF rifles!

Being the frugal b*stard I am, don't junk the scope. I found scope's I don't care for work well on 22 RF rifles!
I junk em when they self destruct and prove worse than nothing at all, which is the case of most of the combo packages under $300--ocular falls off, reticle falls off, turret falls off--stuff like that.

A scope you can trash n a CF rifle probably won't trash on a 22 RF. I have seldom bought a rifle with a scope on it. Not really sure why but nags at me something might not be up to snuff with the scope and that's why it's there.

Every Savage bolt I’ve owned would shoot MOA with my reloads. The action aren’t as smooth as some other rifles. But they’re always shooters.

I bought the Savage Axis XP II combo in 308. The gun is very good and I am happy with it. The scope was not very good. I contacted the scope manufacture and they sent a new scope that was not very good. I ended up putting on my scope. The stock on the gun could be a little stiffer. I think it is a good gun at a very good price point. Everything I have stated here is just my opinion. Would I buy another in a different caliber if I was looking? Yes.

I bought my first Savage rifle back in 1982 a Model 110C with a Bushnell Banner scope that that has an illuminated reticle well a dot appears in the center of the Cross hairs. Back than I paid under $160 for the package. I bought 15 boxes of Remington core-lokt ammo as I was not reloading but figured I would save the brass for later when I would learn. The rifle shot sub moa 3 shot groups at 200 yards and loved the 165 grainers more than the 150 and `180. Was able to hit milk jugs at 500 yards with the Bushnell scope. This rifle is the pre accu-trigger so in my opinion Savage makes great inexpensive rifles at reasonable prices.

I believe now that with the advances in modern technology and metallurgy most factory rifles out of the box are MOA shooters, sadly, the shooter is not.

I have three rifles that are fully capable of 1/2 MOA, and on really good days have proven themselves. BUT, one thing I’ve learned, as a shooter I’m a pretty solid MOA shooter with those occasional good days to tease me with those 1/4 MOA targets. I put 4 1” orange dots on a sheet of paper and shoot five rounds in each dot. I’ve found if I shoot more than five per dot it’s harder to center the scope and keep the groups from opening up due to the hole in the paper growing.

this will get some angry, but far to many people dont know how to shoot a rifle. or a handgun. and far to many cant measure out 100 yards.

brand new savage axis with an over the counter scope and mounts, with the crappiest 223 fmj at the store, when we put it in a rest and line the cross hairs up on the cross hairs of the target, we find that we can put a 1/4" hole at the center of the target, at 100 yards. My buddy loves that rifle.

Not to many years ago, savage axis and savage rifles in general came with the moniker "the poor mans sniper rifle" and you could go online and find video after video of brand new guns getting unboxed, quickly cleaned and put on the range and making really small holes and small groups at 100 yards. It was at the time a "badge of accomplishment" to do such a thing with an out of the box savage.

just like carrying concealed at walmart was for the first time you got to carry concealed.

It’s no big deal there are plenty of guys with more expensive rifles that dont shoot any better and guys with good rifles and cheap glass that would do better. They don’t care they hunt once a year and hit a deer under 100yds. The yardage is the big thing. I find most guys get carried away and can’t tell 35yds from 100 when taking about shooting. But in relation to a football game they can call it to the foot. I get bored listening to 500yd kills in country you can’t see 100yds.

I have an older Savage 99 in 250-3000 (250 Savage). I mainly purchased it just to have a good looking representation of the 99 in my collection. I will say this about that caliber in this rifle.... I have never in my life seen a rifle that is so finicky about what it wants to shoot. It is very accurate with 87 gr bullets, but you even think about trying to reload heavier bullets it will look like a grouping of buckshot. I have never seen THAT big of a difference. But it is a great rifle.I know you are talking about the Axis in 250, but just threw that in there.

Back