.243 Win w/Speer 75 HP bullet

"...If you follow the published load data you'll never find the rifle's maximum efficiency..." That is absolute nonsense.
Reloading 2 full grains over published is unsafe plain and simple is not an opinion. It's a fact. Starting over max is 100% unsafe. One does NOT start at .2 over and work down. One begins with the start load and works up. Please read your manual. Assuming you have such a thing.
You are right. And OP please take a seat back and reevaluate your loading habits, it's fun working with different combos and seeing your results but above all BE SAFE! You can't replace body parts

For the most part I concede that, technically, it's not always the best to proceed with above published load data. Bullet and powder manufacturers produce said data. Many times you'll find Hodgdon powder loads being suggested by bullet companies that are not recommended by Hodgdon. You'll also find Sierra load data with much higher loads that recommend by other published loads. There's a lot of variables to contend with. I can only suggest that when reloading, use best practices and never ever use any flammable substance in the case prep or bullet seating. You'll find out that all max load data is conservative. I argue that when working with powder loads you'll find that your best load will be around 90% to 107% of max published( pending where you get your data). Some even more but few less. How you get there is your business. If you're uncomfortable working with maximum powder loads or compressed powder loads then don't. PS. Don't ever take another shooter's powder load data as "good-to-go". Always research it first. Human memory isn't always accurate. Good Luck.

Back