243 vs 260 vs 270 for longrange small/medium game hunting in south africa

Status
Not open for further replies.
no over here in s-africa the barrels are licenced, so three barrels three licences =3 guns. stupid,but a fact.

tell me wat are your guys opinion on the 260 whith 123gr sierra machkings on small and medium size game?(proghorn and whitetail) i wont try and brake big bones whith them and they wil be used at 150-350m. I like there weight,bc and accuracy. I want 2900fps from them. Secondly if i want to increase capacity by a grain or two hom much free bore should the barrel have extra so i can seat the bullets out a littel further. I wil be using 95-140gr bullets

Wouldn't recommend match bullets for game. A 100 NBT for light stuff and a 125 Nosler or 129 Hornady for the rest. In setting up my 6.5-06, I sent a case with a 140gr bullet seated to the barrel mfr. for throating. With a 260, exercise care with magazine length.

I would think the 270 would be a bit of an overlap for your 303 in some ways, and it seems pretty heavy for varnmints...I would take one of the 243, 260, or similar sized recommendations already posted here.

As for being a handloader in an area with large and/or possibly dangerous game, I would be very tempted to up that standard 375 H&H you have coming for a 375RUM (IF you can handle the extra recoil)
That way you can hit those big ugly critters harder when you really need to, or load it down to milder velocities for times when the full RUM power isn't necessary.....That is assuming brass wouldn't be too hard to come buy for the RUM, obviously its not as easy to find as the almost universally available 375 H&H.

It's a pretty basic question, and it seems to be pretty cluttered with a whole lot of figures, proven opinion, and hoop-la.... Simply put, for springbuck, ALL OF THE THREE MENTIONED will do the job effectively. My opinion rests more on the .243 over others. It's not far away from the remington 6mm I fire---the rifle I use for 1000-meter targets using 90gr sierra fmj/bt loads, to coyote plinking with 55gr. noslers, to dropping elk with 105gr. speers. It's an incredibly versitile chambering that can be adapted for just about anything with fur. For springbuck, a .243 75gr balistic tip with a middle-road load will flatten it out to about 300 yds like a laser dragging a tow-truck.

Ouch!!!!!!!!

Rangefinder!
I got a headache reading that last post!
:eek:
"lasers and tow trucks"?
I'm glad you shoot elk with 105 grain .243 bullets. Can't see how thats superior to latest 140 and 160 grain 6.5 bullets with higher BC's.
6.5x55 Swedish or it's re-invented version, the .260 Remington, are arguably superior at the bigger plains game

why not the tried and true 7x57 mauser???

Surely there must be guys that still use the old 7x57? Its killed an awful lot of african beasts including elephant! Just my 2 cents. JITC:confused:

MPD>>> Take an asprine for the headache--it will pass. ;) If you like the .260 remington, more power to ya--it's a user's-choice world out there. But the topic really isn't about "bigger plains game". What I use on elk (very successfully, I'm going to add) isn't the issue. Springbuck isn't much bigger than my dog. Aside from being the one of the three in question that I am most familiar with, the .243 has probably killed more antelope (comparable animal) than any other here in the western US--proven effectiveness. Don't go twisting that around to think I'm saying the rest are somehow "less" effective now.

.257 Roberts

Because I'm guessing that 7x57 Mauser brass will be easier to come by in a country with European, rather than American, hunting traditions.

Lots of military Mausers have been converted, and if you can't find one, the conversion is just a barrel and a gunsmith away.

Let's not make recommendations based on ammo availability in America. The OPs situation is likely to be very different. Also, I don't know if the OPs country restricts military calibers, but many do. If they do, having a cartridge that uses military brass but is not a military caliber may be a significant advantage.

The .243 is based off the .308, and the .270 from the .30-06, of course. I'd think, based only on my limited knowledge of armies and what they used, that of those two, the .243 (or any other .308-based cartridge) might be easier to feed. I'm pretty sure the SA Army used the 7.62x51 for a long time. The .30-06, not so much.

But I'm not sure the .243 is enough gun. I've never been to Africa, so I might well be wrong about that.

--Shannon

To the original question: I have owned all 3 calibers you mention (still own the 243 and 260) and hunt similiar (thin skinned) beasts in similiar (long range, windy) conditions in the desert southwest of the US. I would hands down recomend the 260 remington. It has plenty of velocity and knockdown power with the 130-140 gr bullets, and super high BC bullets to buck the wind.

A close cousin to the 260 remington is the 6.5x55 Swede. I only mention it as it is the most popular hunting in Europe (like the 30-06 or 270 in the US) and may be easier for you to find rifles and ammo. Either 6.5 mm would be great, but alot of folks around here won't recomend them as 1. we where all raised with either a 243 or 270 as our first hunting rifle and 2. the 6.5 mm are just catching on here for hunting (although very popular among benchrest shooters).

Since it sounds like you are leaning towards the 260, I wouuld suggest the 130gr Nosler Accubond. Very high BC with enough weight to take proghorn and deer long range. Good luck!

Last edited:
it seams there are some confusion as to what is popular in my country. He have british,american and europhian influences as to calibers. The most widely used in my experience are:1 30-06 2 303 3 308 4 243 5 270 and 6 7 by57. Our millatry calibers where the 303, 308 and currently it is the 223. The 9.3 by 62 is also popular but not as much as the 375h&h. No one uses the 280 but the 7 by 64 is popular. The 300 win and 300h&h are popular, as are the 223,222,22-250 and 25-06. Our two 6.5's are the 6.5 by 55 and 6.5 by 57. The 7 by 57 sees alot of use in my country. As does the 303(which btw is a exelent penetrator whith 215gr bullets) thanx too cheap mill surp rifles. The 30-06 is the most pupolar by far,243 is the most popular small bore but the 6mm rem and 6mm mussgrave also sees some use. I am going whith the 260 as i want more bullet weigght than the 243 and less wind drift but still have minimal recoil for varminting and woman and childrin should be able to use the rifle. Back to my question: i was thinking of useing the 123gr sierra matchkings on small and medium game and the 95gr vmax for varminting. Any opinions?

I don't know about the 6.5s

but in .308, the Matchking is not recommended as a hunting bullet.

Yes, it's a hollowpoint, but it's a hollowpoint that is not designed to expand. Terminal performance on game is reported to be disappointing.

The Gameking is the Sierra bullet you want. They're usually cheaper, too, at least here in the US.

--Shannon

they dont have a 120gr in the gameking. Only prohunters. I want a boat tail. Wat weights are availible for the 6.5 in the nosler balistic tips? I want a afordabile bullet for allround small/medium game hunting. Dont like hornady alot,too soft. But it must stil be a standard bullet...

Wat weights are availible for the 6.5 in the nosler balistic tips? I want a afordabile bullet for allround small/medium game hunting. Dont like hornady alot,too soft. But it must stil be a standard bullet...

Have you experimented with the Hornady SST bullets at all? I have heard good things from local hunters who hand load about it. One fellow that I know swore off Nosler Ballistic Tips, saying that they were way too soft and did not penetrate well even our small Blacktail deer here in Western Oregon.

The SST is available in a 6.5mm 129 gr boattail. The Hornady Interbond version of this same bullet has a thicker jacket, but is also far more expensive.

Speer's Hot-Cor hunting bullets are very tough bonded core bullets that are quite affordable. And they have a 120 gr 6.5mm bullet. It is a plain Spitzer design, though, and lacks a boattail.

--

I like the .243. I had a Rem 700 from Wlmart that shot less than an inch at 200 yards with federal blue box ammo. Then the bullet goes thru the deer and he bleeds all over. Good shell. I still have a BLR in .243.

Did anyone cover the action length of the gun?

That's one thing I hear about all the time for some reason.

You have to go and shoot the guns you are interested in.

I have had a .243 and a 25-06. The 06 had a whicked crack to the report - I loved it but only shot 1 deer with it - 50 yards, the bullet never enetered the chest cavity but blod clotted the lungs like no tomorrow (the bullet entered and exited the shoulder on a 1/4ing shot) - deer ran over to me and fell down.

Enjoy your hunt.

From another South African that hunts regularly

Hi Piet,
First, I think that the 270 is not too much rifle for Springbuks. you will find that it is less affected by winds.

I am in the same situation as you are and if you want 3 rifles, My choices would be :
1. 25-06 for a flat-shooting rifle (medium game)
2. 30-06 for any game, from 50M up to 400M, including Eland (took a very large one this season, with a 180Gr hornady to the lungs)
3.your choice of gun for dangerous game, 416 Rem Magnum, 375 etc ( I do not go after dangerous game, so I have no need for one)

Cheers,

Danny

BTW, if you get your "dedicated hunter" or "dedicated sportsman" you can have more licences ( I have 8)

My next rifle will be either a .260 or 6.5x55. I reload so can get max performance and think the 6.5MM is one of the more versatile rounds out there.

I own two of the three rifles mentioned and a 6.5X55, I don't think with a .243 you would be handicapped at all with the wind. Sure the slight edge in BC goes to the 6.5 bullets however there are several very high BC bullets out there for the 6mm as well. You will need to however build a custom .243 to handle the high BC bullets like the Berger 115 grain VLD with a BC of .545 since the recomended twist rate is 1:7.

I wouldn't worry too much about velocity either because if you spend the time knowing how your cartridge shoots it is pretty much a non issue. Just learn the ranges, wind doping and scope adjustments and you will be able to reach out there and touch things without the need of a hyper velocity round. Velocity can be compensated for however good shooting cannot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back