.243 vs .22-250

A Ruger .22-250 is 1:14 twist, are there even any bullets/ammo available that are suitable for medium game that will stabilize in a twist that slow?

I always fall back to Dan Lilja's chart to get a general idea of what will work, and it says 50-52 gr for 1:14 twist, but isn't 55gr as heavy as you can really go in a factory .22.250?

Art Eatman said:
As far as ballistics, with equal-weight bullets, the fatter one slows down more rapidly than the skinny one.

True, but using equal weight bullets really makes the test meaningless. You want a meaningful test, use the best for caliber in each.

That is like saying my Honda Civic is as fast a your Porsche 911, so pull two spark plug wires and we will race.:confused:

Personally, I find both cartridges perfectly adequate for the game at hand.

Have known many people that use both cartridges effectively on white tailed deer.

While not exactly relevant to the discussion I did find an interesting link on another thread that is about the .243.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8l1pzKevL4

This guy is good....

Last edited:
natman, you're taking one part of the OP out of context. Sure, the 7mm08 might be better, but the deal is the comparison of only the two cartridges.

I see that now. But let's consider the matter closed and focus on the actual question at hand; 22-250 vs 243 for flat shooting and accuracy.

As has been pointed out, a 55 grain bullet from a 224 caliber rifle is not really similar to a 55 grain 243 bullet. If you want to settle the question, then it should be which is flatter shooting and more accurate given the optimal bullet for each caliber. For a 243 I suspect that that will be something heavier than 55 grains. The high velocity you can get with such a light-for-caliber bullet looks flashy, but while velocity comes and goes ballistic coefficient is forever.

A Ruger .22-250 is 1:14 twist, are there even any bullets/ammo available that are suitable for medium game that will stabilize in a twist that slow?

Yep! Nosler 64gr bsb. It is a very devastating round out two 200yds.

I always fall back to Dan Lilja's chart to get a general idea of what will work, and it says 50-52 gr for 1:14 twist, but isn't 55gr as heavy as you can really go in a factory .22.250?

Reference materials are an excellent source of information, but if not updated frequently the info tends to become obsolete. The fact is that the 14 twist will stabilize bullets heavier than 55gr, but the bullet construction and length are critical design factors for hunting bullets and stability.

will decide nothing worth knowing.
If you and your buddy want to settle a bar bet about which cartridge is flatter shooting and more accurate more power to you

Condescending comes to mind. Perhaps if one checked ones tone at the door, fewer people would get rubbed the wrong way?

As the OP suggested, the intent was for fun competition not a scientific test to measure any specific outcome. FUN I said!

That is a VERY light for caliber bullet. Almost nobody makes one that light in .270/6.8. The comparison would be a very light for caliber .224 bullet, like the Nosler LF 35gr. The 35gr Nosler (BC only 0.207) can be loaded to over 4,400fps in .22-250, but let's give it a more modest 4,250.

At 300 yards in a 10mph wind, the .22-250 has a 1.5" wind drift and 2" drop advantage. It continues to have the advantage, up to about 6" in both directions, all the way to 500 yards (and beyond). I personally load that exact bullet over 150fps faster, but it beats the .270 handily either way.

This is a good anecdotal demonstration of what a some people don't realize: Muzzle vel trumps BC in importance for drop and drift (particularly drop) - by far for the first 300 yards, then to varying lesser extents, depending upon specifics, in the 300-450+ range; after which BC "makes a comeback" and the becomes the (net) most important factor for drop and drift.

But on the exact original topic, I would agree with those who've said (1) Due to the many variables (ammo, rifle idiosyncracies, shooter skill, optics, etc.), the contest won't *really* settle anything (won't change his or your mind), and (2) The contest demonstrates only accuracy (practical accuracy), not terminal ballistics, so it's incomplete as well, with respect to real-world performance on game (which has less tracking and more DRTs, etc.?)

But lookit, if you were testing a weight advantageous to him (the .22-250 guy), it would be 55 you've chosen. If you were testing a weight that is the most advantageous to you, it would be a 75, 80, or 85 gr pill. So let's say 80 (at least within the limits of what .224 can reasonably go up to). So, to be fair, you should "meet halfway" between the two extremes to try to minimize the unfair advantage either way. That means you should each choose a 67.5 gr bullet, or as close to that as you can get. If his rifle can't stabilize it, then tough noogies. :D

Then report back, of course.

Back