243 safe distance for hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approximates 45 degrees of up angle will send it the farthest.
Minor quibble, but for firearm bullets in-atmosphere (drag dominated rather than gravity dominated), the maximum range is obtained at about 30 degrees elevation. 45 degrees is only the best angle in cases where drag is a negligible contributor to the trajectory, e.g. in a vacuum, or throwing a basketball, or where the projectile mass is very large compared to the drag force.

The best angle depends on bullet weight/ballistic coefficient and velocity also; lighter, faster bullets will go the furthest at shallower angles, while heavier, slower bullets will do better at somewhat higher angles. For .243, even low-BC hunting loads can travel 2 1/2 to 3 miles.

Max range calculator

.243 load data

Manufacturer: Nosler Description: Partition™ Spitzer
Caliber: 0.243 in Weight: 100.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3000.0 ft/s
Temperature: 59.0 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg
Humidity: 0.0 % Altitude: 0.0 ft
Std. Atmosphere at Altitude: No Pressure is Corrected: Yes
Output Data
Atmospheric Density: 0.07647 lb/ft³ Speed of Sound: 1116.4 ft/s
Initial Angle: 35.0 deg Terminal Angle: 66.6 deg
Terminal Range: 4500.0 yd Terminal Velocity: 432.6 ft/s
Terminal Time: 31.0 s Terminal Energy: 41.5 ft•lbs

Manufacturer: Nosler Description: Partition™ Spitzer
Caliber: 0.243 in Weight: 85.0 gr
Muzzle Velocity: 3220.0 ft/s
Temperature: 59.0 °F Pressure: 29.92 in Hg
Humidity: 0.0 % Altitude: 0.0 ft
Std. Atmosphere at Altitude: No Pressure is Corrected: Yes
Output Data
Atmospheric Density: 0.07647 lb/ft³ Speed of Sound: 1116.4 ft/s
Initial Angle: 30.0 deg Terminal Angle: 63.4 deg
Terminal Range: 3993.3 yd Terminal Velocity: 387.1 ft/s
Terminal Time: 26.7 s Terminal Energy: 28.3 ft•lbs

If you are in an elevated stand then you should not have a problem. Just don't shoot toward the house 600 yards away. :D If you have the time and the space go ahead and set out some targets as far as you can "safely" shoot and see where your bullet is hitting, aiming dead on. I think you will be pleasantly surprised as to how far you can safely shoot. And you will be a better and safer hunter for doing it.

I live in rural Indiana. I am a gun owner and past hunter. I do not think that high power center fire rifles have a place in IN hunting. There are to many people here, the bullets carry to far, and IN has it's share of stupid people, mix all this together and there will be problems. I think that there will be more wounded deer, more livestock damage, probable people being hurt. Shotgun / muzzleloader season has worked well for years in IN. If problems arise it will give the liberal media / public more ammunition to attack with. The 2nd amendment is more important than a center fire rifle deer hunt in IN.

Feeling that way you would out law the 12ga, 20ga rifles too. Only allow archery.
Probably should out law cars and trucks because there are so many people on the road with those high speed steel and plastic monsters.

:D Al

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back