.243 enough for Boar?

saands

I might have an opportunity to do a wild boar hunt on the central coast of California in a couple of months and was wondering what the general consensus is on whether a .243win is sufficient for this. My guess is that we won't be seeing anything in the 300+ pound range. I'm building a 243 right now and it should be finished and ready in time ... it sure would be nice to take it into the field. If the .243 is marginal, however, I can go bigger with no real inconvenience.

Thanks,
Saands

ps ... I was thinking 100 grain bullets on top of H1000 which should scoot along at somewhere near 3000 fps according to the tables.

I am no expert on rifles by any means but a .243 is capable of a lot more than people think. It's probably considered a little to light to shoot at something that will bite back ,but I think it will kill one with no problem. I have had three .243's but never killed anything with them. I can't seem to find one that I really like. One was too heavy,one too short and the other just woudn't group, so I sold them all. Hopefully I will find one that I like because I love that caliber. I know I didn't help any but I am snowed in and bored so I had to write something.

Go bigger. Never heard of a hog being overkilled.

Say 6.5 X 55MM minimum.

I suggest 12 Guage Slugs, 308/30-06 or 45-70 as a good choice.

.375 H/H Works Very WEll

Have you ever seen a boar up real close:) They have some Russians that were introduced to that area years ago. Ive shot boar in excess of 450 lbs. California is a great boar hunting.
Ive used only really big guns and have never felt guilty or unsportsman like. These things will really tear your a_ _ up if you give the opportunity.
If your hunting alone I dont think small is good. If you have a partner going with you I sugget one of you carry some horsepower. These guys are major tough and thick skinned. It would be intresting I suppose to get one p.o.'d but I have never had had the desire to do so. Ive shot smaller hogs in florida and Eastern TN. with .308 and .30-06
But as the man said gotta hit em right or a howitzer aint going to get it done. Ive had the opportunity to shoot sheep and goat in AK. using the .243 and thik its a great caliper. BUT sheep and goat dont have a lot of attitude and were always standing still so bullet placement was never an issue. Darn hogs seem to be in constant motion. I use my .375 most of the time. Usually 30- 40 yds. Never had one get back up. I could tell you some tales. He's got scars from what he thought was a dead boar...wrong. He ended up killing it with his side arm. (.44 mag)
I dont think Ive enjoyed anything more than boar hunting. Let us know how you make out.

All depends how you hunt. I've seen South Africans culling warthogs for meat with tripple two.

From my own experience I know that 6.5x55 with 156 grainer bullet works very nicely indeed on European boar. Should do for US variety too.

Roman

Thanks for the input so far. To date, I have only seen the mounted heads ... but the tusks I've seen are why I'm asking this question in the first place :eek: I'm not considering hunting solo ... and I am pretty sure that my buddy will be carrying a 270. I think I will ask some more specific questions about pig size and terrain before deciding.

Thanks,
Saands

The .243 will be fine, just be sure that you have been practicing at the range to hone those marksmanship skills.

My choice for wild hogs would be a .30-30 Winchester M94 rifle.

.243 Winchester is best reserved for things that can't hunt you back.

Wild pig and boar are probably the most dangerous game animal in the lower U.S. 48 states.

Here is a hint: pigs are CONFIRMED! maneaters.

Black Bears are far less dangerous.

Zorro,

I've done a lot of pig hunting in several states (FL, TN, CA, TX) and must respectfully disagree. A .243 with the right bullets is plenty for ANY pig on Earth if you put the bullet in the right place.

I've done a lot of pig hunting in several states (FL, TN, CA, TX) and must respectfully

And If you screw up YOU! are Pig food!

What about the unlucky?

They can't type! They are dead ;)

Pigs are Dangerous. Ask any pig farmer.

I think you are underestimating the .243 and giving the pigs too much credit. We'll agree to disagree, I guess.

I'd feel comfortable hunting pigs (including really big ones) with 30-30, .243, 7-30 Waters, 12 or 20 guage slugs, etc. My favorite round for hunting them now is the .44 mag out of my 14" Contender. Just choose your shot carefully. Remember, we're talking about HUNTING pigs, not pig attack defense. In that role I'd take a 12 guage with good 00 buck loads.

Last edited:
If I were hunting pigs, I'd use something more substantial than a .243. G-Father had a farm with hogs, and they can get quite pissed. A hog is very dangerous.

I must also respectfully disagree (Man going up against Art & C.R. Sam is dangerous ground!)

Why use a long distance flat shooter in a brush gun environ?

.243 plenty gun. 45 70 not enough with bad shot placement

If bad shot placement occurs with a .243, it's gotta be worse than bad shot placement with a .45-70

Art and C.R. please be gentle!

From my deer hunting experience I think the 243 lacks for nothing in the penatration department. 100's make just as many exit holes as any 30-30, 308, or 44 Mag I've hunted with.

The beauty of the 243 is shot placement on fast movers. It is a photon torpedo compared to the bowling balls some like to hunt with, and putting a shot into the vitals of a critter running for its life requires much less skill/guesswork.

Tom

Keep in mind many of the bullets designed for the 243 are intended for varmint hunting applications and could have disastrous
results on large game.I would suggest looking at the barnes x or the nosler partition style.Even the remington core-loke bullets
should be a good choice.

As far as the crack about bullet deflection being worse with the 243 over the 45/70 this is just a myth.Any bullet of any weight
will deflect when struck by twigs and brush.I have even witnessed for myself in training a 12 gauge slug skipping off the rim of a
hat causing a complete miss at 5 yards.

Back