.22lr with iron sights?

ghbucky

I've been looking around for a bolt .22lr with proper iron sights.

'Proper' for me means a rear sight (behind the bolt) with click windage and elevation adjustments and a front blade.

Everything I see (that does have iron sights) seems like the rear sight is forward of the receiver and with a slide elevation and no windage.

I saw that Anshcutz makes stuff like this, but ... zowiee, the price!

I thought this was shooting 101, so I'm surprised they aren't commonly available. Is there a reason they don't commonly make rifles like this?

There are some with windage adjustable sights but they're all barrel mounted until you get into target rifles. You can always have a rceiver drilled and tapped for sights.

There are some guns available, but you have to look in the used sections in gunbroker, river of guns, guns international, and 22 bore or the like websites. Kimber made a great one for many years,there are some low entry, high quality .22 rim fires made by the Romanians in the 50’s and 60’s. These you can find searching for Romanian .22. Winchester 52 models a-d. Remington model 37.

The type of sights you describe would cost more than most 22 rifles and most people today use scopes. If you want them they are available aftermarket.

You're welcome! Could you do us a favor and give us a range report when you get the critter and run through the paces with it? There's been at least twice that I thought real hard on picking one up, but then I caught the CZ bug and ended up with all my 'Wants and Wishes' bases covered. On here, I've read they'll either just nearly or fully keep step with just about any CZ.

You're welcome! Could you do us a favor and give us a range report when you get the critter and run through the paces with it? There's been at least twice that I thought real hard on picking one up, but then I caught the CZ bug and ended up with all my 'Wants and Wishes' bases covered. On here, I've read they'll either just nearly or fully keep step with just about any CZ.

I sure will. It won't be for a while. I was just doing the leg work to find what firearm I'm adding next. Very excited to find Savage makes exactly what I'm looking for and for a reasonable price.

Local bubba one day brought me a Remington 22lr--one of those really old "found in grand-daddy's basement" things, a beautiful little rifle made sometime in the 1930's which had a sweet built-in flip up rear peep sight and nice front sight. I cleaned it up and shot it it, it could do MOA at 50 yds. I'm sorry I don't remember the model number--but I would seriously consider buying one if I ever saw one at a gun show.

Thanks, darkgael

10-96 clued me in that exact Savage rifle upthread. I had looked at their rifles on their website, but their filtering tool doesn't really work all that well.

That rifle is exactly what I'm looking for.

You might be interested in the BSA Martini Model 12/15, or a BSA Mark II or III International target rifles on Gunbroker; but they do not come equipped with a mechanical safety and have Parker Hale peep sights.

I own 3 - 12/15's and a Mark II...that I swear by. The 12/15 is a great bench or offhand/standing target rifle (10.5 pounds), and the Mark II or III (14 pounds) are used mostly with a benchrest or shooting prone.

Erno86, those are certainly beautiful rifles. But I'm looking for something relatively inexpensive.

This is really a lark. I shot my brother's Springfield M1A using the iron sights and really liked it. So, I figured I'd line up a .22lr that I could repeat the experience with, but be a much cheaper beast to feed.

I use 1.5 diopter reading glasses (I'm 69 years old), in order to see the front sight aperture on my 12/15's, clearly focused with my right eye. Fortunately...I can see the target clearly focused as well, while using the 1.5 diopter.

The BSA 12/15's...as so boringly accurate off the bench, that I have come accustomed to shooting them in the offhand/standing position.

Many .22 rifles have grooved receivers for scope mounts, and many are drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Williams make receiver sights that attach using the grooves or the scope holes, so you can put a receiver sight on a .22 bolt gun.

Didn't know Savage made the Mk1 FVT model. What a great factory offering equipped with a receiver sight, along with a decent price tag to boot. I'll bet the thing shoots great, too. I have an old pre-war Winchester M75 with a Vaver receiver peep sight that tears little holes at 50 yds. "all day long" as the saying goes...;)

CCI, standard vels. "all day long," too, if you can find some these days... luckily I have a decent supply I bought last year @ 25 bucks a brick. If you can find some these days, the price, no doubt, might be a "wee" bit higher...

Back