22lr lcr defense?

Aikibiker said:
Carguychris, I was getting binding and case extraction issues with CCI Stingers and Minimags.
It may be rough chambers, or simply excessively dirty or oily chambers. However, it's hard to get more specific when I don't even know what type of revolver we're discussing.

I suggest giving this problem its own thread, as it's a smidge off-topic here.

If truely for defense getting a bigger, gun and hope he never has to use it.

I realize this goes against all we say about practice.

22 is better than nothing. But people don't realize bad people are crazy and on drugs.

Shoot me in the pinky, and I will stop, not meth head who needs a fix.

Also what 22 mag, little better? 38 low recoil for practice? Easier if you reload.

i have a friend who has bad wrists, he has had surgery and can't take recoil even from the 38, he's on a fixed income as well and wants the 22 lcr for low cost shooting and recoil.
The low cost part being overlooked by those suggesting a 22 Magnum, or centerfire rounds. I would say CCI MiniMag solid round nose. But cheaper bulk ammo for lots of practice.
Searxh the forum, I remember a recent thread similar to this with some great information on CCI MiniMag performance in ballistic gel. Don't have time yo find it now, maybe later.

I think the LCR-22 will work fine, especially if he wants to practice a lot. Also, don't forget that moving from .22lr to .22 Magnum or .32 in the LCR means you go from 8 shots to only 6. With plenty of low-cost practice, those 8 shots will be delivered more accurately than the more powerful calibers which are too expensive to practice with.

Cheapshooter wrote: The low cost part being overlooked by those suggesting a 22 Magnum, or centerfire rounds.

I myself did NOT overlook that part. Yes 22 Magnum is more expensive than BULK 22 but as this is to be a DEFENSE weapon I weighed the cost vs. deliverable power.

Yes, the mere PRESENTATION of a gun might diffuse the need to actually discharge it to end the situation. If it is NOT take all the power you can get and handle. The recoil of a 22 Magnum is not anywhere close to that of a 38.

(he) wants the 22 lcr for low cost shooting and recoil.
I take this to mean he wants the gun foe recreational shooting as well as defense. Not a run a cylinder full through it, load it up, and rarely shoot it again. If his fixed income would allow for enough magnum ammo to accomidate his desired amount of shooting, fine.
Then too, 22WMR was even harder to find, and off the shelves longer than Longrifle during the Ammogeddon.

The key with 22 ammo is reliability. Choose what is reliable in his LCR. Even as a woods gun. it will still be a nice companion should something happen with wild dogs or something similar. That's rare in my area. Bears.... oh my.... I'd still be okay with the 22 for the occasional black bear. They generally want nothing to do with people although they sometimes tolerate humans around when they are foraging in the woods.

Jeff Cooper, Mr .45, Mr 10mm, said, "You can carry a .22 for self defense when you can hit a tennis ball from anywhere on the court."

Paris Theodore, daddy of the ASP, carried a Walther .22. "If you can shoot, a .22 is as good as anything short of a supersonic telephone pole."

...run a cylinder full through it, load it up, and rarely shoot it again.

If that is the OP's or anyone else's intent, they probably shouldn't carry a firearm.

If you're going to carry a gun you have a responsibility to develop sufficient skill that you can defend yourself and also, not be a threat to bystanders.

Dave

Back