22LR ammo question.

Quiet 22LR? 22 shorts. If that isn't quiet enough let loose with a couple of 30-06 rounds and it will all seem quiet after that. Had that same problem with a couple of neighbors in Texas and they didn't complain after that. :)

The colibri from aguila is not for rifles, they will stick in the barrel.

The cci cb short is incredibly quiet out of a long barreled rifle, the things are far quieter than my air rifles. I doubt that your neighbors will know. hammering is louder.

bspillman wrote:
...noise from shooting is frowned upon by the liberals who share property boundaries with me.

Not liking someone making noise that disturbs the "quiet enjoyment" of my property does not make me a liberal and wanting to make noise shooting does not make you a conservative.

While any supersonic cartridge will generate some noise on its own from the bullet traveling fast than the speed of sound, the majority of the noise that will disturb your neighbors comes from the disturbance caused as the pressurized gasses exit the barrel. You can dramatically reduce this noise by constructing a dampening chamber. It works like a silencer, but since it is not attached to your gun it's not an NFA item - the ATF has already address this in a ruling.

Get a 40-55 gallon polyethylene drum. Get a 60-80 gallon polyethylene drum. Drill a hole in the both ends of the drums large enough to allow you to get a sight picture through. Suspend the smaller drum securely inside the larger using wire or thin strips of steel. Mount this entire assembly in front of your shooting bench so that at least three to four inches of the muzzle of your rifle will fit inside the smaller drum. Depending on how large the holes are that you had to cut in the ends, you can get between 25 and 60 decibels of sound attenuation. If you can get used drums, this can be a very cheap project. If you combine that with an agreement to confine your shooting to certain dates and times so that your neighbors know what to expect, that should go a long way towards promoting harmony in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
You are correct hdwhit, not liking the noise doesn’t make them a liberal. However their political views and beliefs do, hence why I called them a “liberal”. Thanks for the idea with the drums but if the quieter ammo isn’t enough then I guess we will se if they gripe about it. Thanks again.

Other than using the CCI "Quiet" .22lr or Colbari, consider making a plywood bos, lined with strips of fiberglas ceiling tile, which will actio as a sound absorber.

Might have to wet the inside to prevent catching fire.

Good Luck.

You can also shoot through a stack of old automobile tires.... But there goes your mobility. My favorite 22LR ammo is standard velocity, subsonic. It's more accurate and quieter than the high-velocity stuff, but still probably louder than acceptable for this particular situation. It can be silenced with a suppressor, and that may be your best option. But suppressors are more heavily regulated, even if legal in one's jurisdiction, than I am willing to deal with. That makes the CCI Quiet an attractive option.

Since a suppressor is out of the question for now, and others have already mentioned CCI Quiet, the only other item I'll add is the bolt. Volquartsen does make a bolt for the 10/22 to properly cycle the quiet round.

It sounds like this is the best route for now, until a suppressor is in the budget.

There are videos online of English shooters using 17hrm in suppressed rifles. Good Lord, it's a pop. Rimfire with a good suppressor is probably going to go unnoticed at 100feet unless the neighbors are listening for it and standing outside waiting. behind any sort of barrier, such as a privacy fence, it is possible that it can't be heard at all.

When you do start shooting through your sound baffles, maybe you could consider a set of five foot wind bells. Subsonic rounds truly will be invisible among the bells. I realize that the wind bells are not a perfect fit for everyone.

I live a mile from a gun range, so I hear gun every single evening. I also shoot at my house, and my neighbors are cool with it.

Still, there's evenings when I hear them outside and I often choose then to plink with CCI Quiet's off my rear patio while enjoying a brew instead of shooting something louder. They aren't as accurate as Standard Velocity rounds, but I can still ping 1" steel targets from 40 yards.

Having shot 22 Silhouettes, low velocity ammo seems to be your solution.
As for your neighbor concern about live fire.. it would be anyone's fear of a stray projectile racing across putting them in grave danger.
Solution, go to a indoor/outdoor range.
Long barrel at least 20 plus will be nuff to let loose rounds without letting the neighborhood know there's live fire going on.
BTW, nice prompt pulling the Liberal chain, which I believe was the purpose of this thread.

Here's another idea. Find a scrap board, a handful of nails, and a hammer. When you're about to shoot, go out in plain view of the neighbors' and start aimlessly pounding nails into the board. If you have a power saw of some sort, so much the better- run it intermittently as well. Then when ya go in the back yard and start shooting, they'll probably just dismiss the sound as you hammering- keep working that saw while you're loading mags as well. Problem solved. :D

Do your neighbors mow their lawn with a gasoline powered mower? If so, shoot while they are mowing and then ask them if they heard you. If not, problem solved. They probably make more noise than you do.

Back