22lr ammo (and a new gun)

Hal-was that a S&W 617-something that you had?
Dale, it was so long ago I don't know.
I ordered it brand new - IIRC - in 1997, so, what ever was current at that time is what it was.
The gun was cursed from the get go.
I'd always wanted a .22 version of my beloved M19, nut, by the time I could afford one, S&W had dropped them. I looked for a used M17 or 18 for years and they were always so over priced when I found one I had to pass.

I'd bought a used Walther PP/k, and, found out after shooting it that it was a lot better in the movies than it was sitting in my safe :D. That thing was miserable to shoot. It ate the back of my hand alive. I didn't want to have that much money tied up in something I didn't shoot so I sold it. Got every cent I'd paind for it too!

I used that to buy the M617.
Alas, the M617 didn't pan out either. I'd have sent it back to S&W to have it fixed, but, I didn't like it's - 10 shot capacity instead of 6 - round butt- full underlug - icky rubber grips, so I traded it away on a High Power.

Ended up a couple years later falling into a sweet deal on a pair of pristine M17's for $700 for the pair.

Thanks for the information Hal. I tend to put on the rose colored glasses when looking at anything from S&W and Ruger so it's nice to get a 1st hand reality check once in a while.

Everyone makes a lemon from time to time.
I just chalk up my experience to getting one of those lemons.

What's odd though is that I went through a period of like four years where every new gun I bought, regardless of the manufacturer, had some sort of defect or something.
Ruger, S&W, Winchester, Browning, Colt, Kimber, Marlin.....

It was weird...:confused:

I must be getting the good ones.
Only one flawed pistol and one flawed long gun.
And even that one pistol could be made to run good enough for range practice.
The rifle worked fine except for being grossly inaccurate.
Luck of the draw, maybe.

Back