22lr ammo (and a new gun)

Drummer101

I just bought a Smith and Wesson 617 4 inch :D
It will be arriving at my FFL Tuesday and should get pick it up Saturday (13 hour days at work...)

I was looking for 22lr ammo and was a little surprised. Should have just gotten a 45 lol. (thinking about a 45 revolver)

I think I will need to do a bulk order at work to save some money on shipping.

Anyone else still having issues finding it in there area? I am in Houston TX.

Been very hard to find for about 2 years. Stores aren't getting much and when they do scum resellers bring family members and friends to buy up all they can.

About 3 weeks ago I walked into a big store and they had Federal 50 round boxes (limit 3) and last week the Walmart had 333 Winchester and 225 Remingtons and I got 1 of each (again, the limit).

You can't count on finding any at normal retail. The scum resellers at the shows want $60 a brick (I have yet to actually see a box sell) and I have seen bricks recently sell for $80 on Gunbroker (plus shipping for crying out loud).

Last June I was in a shop and a man came in with his 12 year old granddaughter. He'd given her a 22 rifle for Christmas 6 months earlier and she still hadn't shot her new gun because no ammo could be found. I had him follow me home and I gave him 2 boxes of Blazers I had on the shelf.

Cabala's online of all places.
There was a limit so I had my wife also get an order.

I have one brick on hand currently. Expect that to disappear in short order.

FWIW, I would not buy any bulk .22 for a new pistol, unless that is all you can find. Many new .22 pistols are a bit finicky about ammo and tend to prefer certain brands, velocities, and weights. See if you can amass 5 or 6 different flavors and run them all through the pistol. That will give you a better idea of what you want to buy (and avoid) in quantity/bulk.

At this time I think I can only have what I can get.

I have some Blazer, Federal, and CCI.

The stuff I got cheap was Remington.

I am thinking even the good ammo would not benefit from my shooting at this time :o

One of my LGS has CCI mini mags 100ct. for 20 bucks a pop. However they are known for having varying levels of prices. For instance they had a Glock 41 for $710 but a gen 4 22 was $530. They also had a Ruger 1911 for $680 which I contemplated purchasing but being left handed it was a no-go because of lack of ambi safety. These were all NIB.

Back to ammo prices, the CCI cost the same as Federal FMJ 9mm (9.99 a box) at Wally World, and good luck finding .22LR there. Apparently they sell out within a few hours after they stock it which is about once a week IIRC, big shocker I know.

Drummer, you have 4 different brands/loads there to try. That's a good start. Whenever you can, grab a box or two of other types to test.

And Mini-Mags at $100 a brick of 500 ain't no kind of deal at all!

jonnyc said:
Many new .22 pistols are a bit finicky about ammo and tend to prefer certain brands, velocities, and weights.

The OP bought a revolver. It'll have its preference for best accuracy, but it'll run on anything. That bulk Remington stuff you bought will likely be pretty dirty (Remington rimfire ammo generally has that reputation), so you may be cleaning your gun often, but it'll be plenty good to ring steel.

I'm biased, but a 4" 617 was an excellent choice. Well-made, reliable, and very accurate with its preferred ammo. I find CCI Standard Velocity is a good all-around load in most of my rimfires. I used to be able to find it locally, and when rimfire ammo starts showing up on the shelves again, I hope to find it again.

FWIW, I would not buy any bulk .22 for a new pistol, unless that is all you can find. Many new .22 pistols are a bit finicky about ammo and tend to prefer certain brands, velocities, and weights. See if you can amass 5 or 6 different flavors and run them all through the pistol. That will give you a better idea of what you want to buy (and avoid) in quantity/bulk.
:confused::confused::confused:
I just bought a Smith and Wesson 617 4 inch

The 617 is a revolver, and should "run" any brand you put in it.
Accuracy most likely will vary fro m brand to brand, and load to load, but unless you are only interested in match grade accuracy it isn't enough to worry about. Especially considering that picking, and choosing any type of 22 you want isn't like it was three or four years ago.

I think the .22 ammo drought is starting to break. I saw CCI standard velocity and some Remington on the shelves of a local gun store a week ago and there wasn't a mob buying it up. A couple of days later, they still had some.
The .17 rimfires are in stock as if there never was a shortage.

The OP bought a revolver. It'll have its preference for best accuracy, but it'll run on anything
Mine didn't.
It only worked with American Eagle (& even those would keyhole after a few cylinders when I could get it to actually fire)

All the other brands I tried in it, even CCI, would fail to fire anywhere from 2 out of 10 to 9 out of 10.
Most would even fail on the seconds strike and require a third and sometimes 4th strike to function.

I cured the keyholing by lapping the bore.
I never did cure the failure to fire.
The gun itself ended up not being what I wanted at all so I traded it away.
Horrible gun. The only thing it had going for it was that it was in high demand.
I got a reasonable trade in on it when I traded it on a High Power.

Bad luck Hal. I have m-17 and a m-617 and they are a hoot. That being said, it seems they tend to lead up quicker than they use to (?). I now carry a brush and some chore boy when I go to the range.

Hal-was that a S&W 617-something that you had?

I sure hope not. The 617 is on my short list, if I ever find one at a reasonable price I'm pretty sure I'd get it. I've always heard the quality of the S&W 617 was top-notch. It's, just for me, way too high in price.

If you're in the Twin Cities, Drummer, Joe's Sporting Goods in Maplewood seems to have .22 on a fairly regular bases.

I am in Houston TX now, graduated and moved down south.

The ammo says it shipped and will arrive on the 25th :D

The gun is at my FFL but I dont think I will have a chance to get it till Saturday.

Back