.223 vs .243 for varminting

Kirby,

I would say that the red mist would be most pronounced using the lighter 55gr bullets, but as they say, it will be violent either way.

Also, in my rifle at least, the lighter bullets are more accurate, but I think thats because my barrel is designed to be a varmint barrel and the rate of twist is more geared to pushing light bullets.

Do the 55 garin bullets make more red mist on gophers than the 100 grain or 80 grainers?

the weight of the bullet is not the issue here, it is the design. a thinner jacketed varmint bullet expands extraordinarily rapidly causing severe trauma when dealing with a gopher sized target and the thicker jacketed and heavier bullets hold together better for penetration.

the .243 is a good multi-purpose round for varmints/deer. the lighter bullets being varmint rounds and the heavier bullets being the deer rounds. you cant legally hunt big game with a .223 in Canada (or at least Saskatchewan) so the .223 wouldnt be an option when you want to hunt deer.

Get one of each you won't regret it. H&R and NEF both offer great entry level rifles put a good 3X9 on both and your ready to go. I have one in .223 and I really like it ammo is really cheap about 0.13 per round. I also own a Parker Hale .243 and it can reach out and touch a coyote, longest I've taken is around 500yds. Like I said though .223 is much easier on the pocket book unless you reload.

I live in AB so its not legal to shot deer .223 but the gun locker already contains 3 .243 so i think the .223 will be cheaper and more fun. Since i should get 1 of each it looks like the .223 is the way to go. One of the .243 is in retirement.

I have each, the 223 in Sako 75 varmint, the 243 in a Sako 75 Finnlight. I prefer the 243. Just got back from a prarie dog hunt. Most I could effectivly shoot the 223 was 300 yds. No problem going 500 with the 243. Plus it can double as deer / antelope gun. Use Nosler 70 grainers & 40 ge. of Varget. Very flat & stable & VERY explosive...

I say that if you already have a .243 use it for varmints and deer and not bother geting a .223 but its up too you so if you really want a .223 get one.

Back