223 Varmint Rifle - Mossberg MVP-Ruger American-Savage Hog Hunter-Savage Axis ???? Which one ?

I handled the Savage HH in .308 when they first came out.

To me, for a blind-magazine rifle, it seemed like it would be unnecessarily heavy to hunt with. Now, I don't know about the .223 version of the HH. Maybe it's trimmer and lighter.

But if you're going to be toting the thing around, I'd consider the rifle's weight relative to other choices in the same chambering, like that Ruger American Predator.

The RAP in 223 is not a lite gun it is a tad nose heavy with bad balance. If you shoot from a rest all the time it will not matter but I had mine cut to 18" and improved the balance a bunch. The stock is a POS with some sharp edges and a small wrist. That is why I would like the CZ 527. A friend of my son has one and I got to shoot it. NICE, I mean NICE, wood stock, good balance what is not to like.

A month or so ago, I handled a Tikka T3X Superlight in 223. I’m sure it’s above the OP’s budget, but that’s what I’d buy.

I'd look for a Howa. You can get a Mini action or a standard offering. I like mine much more than my Savage, and I really like my Savage.

I have a Howa 1500 in 270 Win. with the green Hogue stock. Nice gun, good finish, smooth action. It would be the heaviest. But it is a great gun.

heavy hog rifle

I would agree that the Savage Hog is a not a lightweight. That 20" tube is a bit stout, even with a .30 hole in it, there is a bit of heft. The .223 version is likely even a tad heavier, due to a wee bit more metal in the barrel.

I do not pick either of my Savage Hog rifles if I intend to cover very much ground. Add serious glass, bases and rings, maybe a bipod, and you end up with some weight. But, it settles down nicely on bags, bipod or over the rail of a shoot house.

Back