223 Varmint Rifle - Mossberg MVP-Ruger American-Savage Hog Hunter-Savage Axis ???? Which one ?

rfins

Inactive
223 Varmint Rifle - UPDATE

UPDATE- Found a great deal on a very slightly used Ruger American Predator with threaded barrel and takes AR magazines.
Going to give it a try and if I am not satisfied I'll sell it and buy The Savage Hog Hunter.
Thanks everyone for the input ! :)

Looking for a decent accurate varmint rifle...….but want to stay under $500.
Also want a threaded barrel.

Got it narrowed down to 5 guns...…….Anyone have opinions on any of these:
All guns are in 223 Rem

Mossberg MVP Flex
Savage 19746 Axis SR
Savage 19661 Hog Hunter
Savage 110 Hog Hunter
Ruger American Pred

Last edited:
I have the Ruger Am. Pred. the CZ 527 is what I wish I had. All that you have listed will work but if you can come up with a few more $$$ the CZ is a lot more gun as NoSecondBest stated.

The OP says under $500, not $800. I could recommend my Cooper MDl 22. It's a much nicer gun the the CZ Varmint, much better accuracy, also, but it starts about $2000.

Not being very familiar with the rifles you mentioned, all I can say is hold them and see how they feel in your hand. I would lean toward the Savages, other than the Axix, or the Ruger American, because of their reputations.

I think you will enjoy varmint rifle shooting. For me it is more satisfying than shooting sporters. They are very accurate by definition, and with 223 it will be economical to shoot. That being said, in a precision type rifle, I think you need to use the best quality ammo that you have available. I reload so I don't purchase match grade ammo.

Benchrest rifles evolved from varmint rifles. the accuracy and simplicity will spoil you for sub 1/2" groups. Be warned.

Last edited:
Helps to know what you're talking about. You can find the CZ for just over 500 for the synthetic or 600 for the walnut. No one pays MSRP do they?

GrabAGun, $210.00 difference, RAP vs CZ 527. And that is for WALNUT vs pos green plastic. I have an idea, buy mine and I'll buy the CZ.

I'd add a .223 Remington 700 to the list. An ADL with synthetic stock is under $500. My son and I each have one for prairie dogs and they're tack drivers.

Barrel threading will add $100 or more to the cost if that's not a factory option.

I wouldn't carry a Savage Axis home for free. Ugly gun.

Savage rifle's have a great reputation for accuracy. There's a Ruger in that camp also but I don't recall the mod. I had a couple early mod 77's and mine were a lot of trouble to get to shoot. Right now I have two Mossberg Patriot's, wood stock, one in 243 and one in 308. Both shoot very well. In fact the 243 stays right at 1/2" at 100 yds. Don't hear a lot about them so if that's normal I couldn't tell you. But from my own experience with the two I have I would not hesitate to get another! Most the brand's you get today seem to be very accurate. If I were you I'd simply pick out one that appealed to me and go with it. Someone mentioned the mod 700 in a plastic stock. I have one of them too. One of the hardest rifle's to get to shoot I've ever owned. Got rid of the plastic stock, just don't like them, and put on a take off from another rifle I found. That rifle is also a consistent 1/2" rifle. I am a Remington fan but I would not get another plastic stock one.

The Savage Hog Hunter would be my choice. Savages are usually very accurate out of the box. But that model will allow your to switch stocks to a MDT chassis is desired. Plus, barrels are easily swapped out. It's all about accuracy and available options for me.

Of the choices you listed, Savage Hog Hunter. Do a good barrel break in and have fun.

If increasing budget, I’d get a Tikka T3 Varmint at around $850. Just below that would be the CZ 527 at around $800.

How about the ruger American ranch, it fits all your criteria and is extremely accurate. I have both the 223 and 7.62x39 models, both with threaded barrels and both under your price point. I also have the cz 527 carbines in 223 and 7.62x39 and you can't tell any accuracy difference between the ruger and cz, they all shoot lights out.

Savage Hog

I bought a Savage Hog in .223 about a year ago, have worked with it a wee bit, and am very satisfied. It is not an aesthetically pleasing rifle, but a real work horse, and what matters most, the barrel and trigger seem first rate. The Accu-trigger on my rifle will go to a WAY low pull weight, and still hold and be safe. I actually had to add some pull weight to get what I felt was an appropriate trigger for hunting. I screwed on a simple Bushnell fixed 10X, did a modest break in, and the rifle will throw 68-69 grain MHP's into tiny clusters. It also shoots factory Remington 62 gr MHP well also.

I pondered about the Ruger American Predator. I found several where the asking price was LESS than what I paid for the Savage Hog. I chose the Savage, as I believe it can be re-barreled easily (should I shoot it that much) whereas I dunno about the Ruger.

About my only criticism of the Savage Hog in .223 is that I find it a wee bit tricky to load the magazine.........in the .223 caliber. My rifle has a canted, solid rail scope base, and I find it a bit of a struggle to snick the tiny .223 rounds into the fixed magazine feed lips . I do not have that problem with it's bigger brother, my .308 hog. As a positive, I like the fixed, blind magazine, just one less part to loose.

One more thought on the CZ: It comes with a set trigger which you can use to get a 1 lb trigger or not use and get a heavier, yet adequate trigger. Not sure if any of the others have this feature. That alone adds something to the desirability of the gun.....no trigger upgrade required.

My CZ 527 has the set trigger set to 14 oz.

You can adjust both the regular trigger pull and the set trigger pull for take up, pull weight, and over-travel. You can only adjust pull weight on others, but the accutriggers I have had on savages in the past have all been good.

Back