223 scope

I use large orange dots at 100 yrds with 4x and get great results. Just make the round dot bigger! It really works!

I have a Mueller 4.5-14x that has excellent optical qualities. Cost is still under $150, I believe, but it compares well with much more expensive scopes.

A good 4.5-14 or 4-12 would be my choice if coyote hunting is what I REALLY was going to be doing with the rifle. On my big game rifles, I have 3-9x40 and 2.8-10x44 and they are great. If I was going to punch paper 98% of the time at ranges beyond 200 yards, I could appreciate having 18-25x, but only in a good scope with enough optical quality to not give me a headache.

Today I sighted in my 722-222 with the old scope chief bushnell 4x, and I touched holes at 100 yrds. I made a magic marker 3" dot so I could see it. I know it's not a 223, but close for the sake of this discussion.

Also, I'll crank up the power when I'm calling and scanning areas where I'm at least 90% sure there's an active yote den.

"Scanning areas" with a riflescope? :mad:

Having been "scanned" by someone doing that, I take a pretty dim view of individuals using their riflescopes for binoculars.

I'm with 10-96, get the higher magnification, better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. All my Varmint scopes are 16-18X on the high side. Bubba will tell you 3X9 is fine because that's what he's got and mybe a shot can be made but the higher X makes it easier to make the longer shot, IMO.

Anything over 4X makes it harder to hit running game or make snap shots due to the small field of view .... and very large scopes are more in the way as often as not.

....."All my varmint scopes" ..... tells me you divide what trigger time you have between many different rifles ..... I don't have enough time with one gun....

A 4.5x14 gives you a nice range of magnification, and that statement about "rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" is just about as correct as a fellow can get. I hunted for years with a 4 power and then went to a 3x9 and then went to a straight 6 power and then moved to a 4.5x14. That last magnification range is just right for me. I can hunt the thicker areas on my place at 4.5 power and then go to whatever power I want (usually 8) for the open fields. And I will shoot at 14 power if the pig or coyote is way out there. The obvious answer to all of this is to buy what you personally want. After decades of hunting, I have done that. And the Leupold and Burris 4.5x14's are no bigger than my Dad's Zeiss Conquest 3x9, or if there is a difference it isn't noticeable.

As for scanning, I only use binocs for that. But if I see a big buck at the edge of my farthest field (500 yards or so), I will switch to the highest power I have to learn what I can. For that, more power is better. And if I find somebody in my crosshairs, he's trespassing.

"Scanning areas" with a riflescope?

Yeah, I hate to say how many times I've done this Jimbo, and yes If I see somebody they also are trespassing!

Anything over 4X makes it harder to hit running game or make snap shots due to the small field of view

If you are trying to hit running game with a varmint rifle, you probably grabbed the wrong gun.

coyota1, you're worrying too much about labels. :D I've shot running critters with a light sporter .223, a lighter-weight .243 carbine, and a full-size '06. I figure that "game animal" includes coyotes if I'm hunting coyotes. :D

Granted, I wouldn't take a shot at Bambi when he's running, were I toting a .223.

Im in the More Power Group My 223 has a 6-24 x 56 on it. I do find most times Yote Hunting i am down to 8 power though. But for dogs at 300 yards. I definetly would be on 24 power. Or for Punching holes in paper i would be on 24 power

4runnerman said:
Im in the More Power Group My 223 has a 6-24 x 56 on it. I do find most times Yote Hunting i am down to 8 power though. But for dogs at 300 yards. I definetly would be on 24 power. Or for Punching holes in paper i would be on 24 power

**Tim Allen Grunting Noises**

coyota1, you're worrying too much about labels. I've shot running critters with a light sporter .223, a lighter-weight .243 carbine, and a full-size '06. I figure that "game animal" includes coyotes if I'm hunting coyotes.

OK I see. Where I live if a coyote is on the run, it's gone, and so are bambi most if the time. Lots of heavy forest and swamp here.

Can't help but smile about "when a coyote is running, he's gone". Heck, I hunt on pretty open ground and when a coyote is in full gear I don't think I can hit him at any range, so he's 'gone' for me too. I missed one a couple of years ago at maybe 60 yards (he was trotting, Ok?) and MAN he got into high gear so fast that I was stunned. He was just a blur as he disappeared into the distance.

If you are trying to hit running game with a varmint rifle, you probably grabbed the wrong gun.

If you use one gun all the time, you can get right competent with it.....

"Specialization is for Insects."

"If you use one gun all the time, you can get right competent with it.....

"Specialization is for Insects.""

Hmm. Think about that for a minute.

Do you chirp, or buzz? :D:D:D

You seem to be confused, Art.

One general purpose rifle is not "specialization".

Having a "Deer Rifle", and a "Predator Rifle", and a "Target Rifle", OTH ....

I also have lots of rifles, but try to stick with the same brand or at least ones that have the same safety location/operation. Scopes seem to be a special problem; however, since, when walking around with a varmint rifle, I may forget to adjust the AO for a shorter range, and/or turn the power down.

All my deer rifles are bolt actions and have 3-9X scopes, two are Remingtons and one a Tikka, but all have the same safety location/operation. My CZ .22 magnum "walk-about" (non-deer) rifle has a "reversed" safety operation that bugs me, but am fairly familiar with it now, but usually turn it on and off several times when in the field, just to become fully comfortable with the "backwards" operation.

My .223 AR is topped with a 1-4x scope. Shots are taken from 10 all the way out to 600 yards for 3-gun competition, but I would have no problem taking a 300 yard shot on a coyote with the setup if I had to....standing or running ;)

Back