.223 reloading dies

Danb6177

I want to reload .223 for an AR-15. I use a rock chucker single stage. They have 2 that i see. the 11101 and the 11107. The 11107 is a small base die does this mean just a neck resizer?

I think the 11101 is a full length and its the one i need but just wanna be sure.

It is a good idea to full length resize for an Ar-15 to avoid any chambering issues.
I would be confident with the RCBS 11101 full length die set

The small base is full length; it just means it sizes the entire cartridge to minimum saami specs. Some people reccomended small base dies for semi automatic firearms, i have not found this to be the case. And i feel it can over work the brass. YMMV

Both small base or fully length will work fine, just make sure you steer clear of neck sizing dies in a semi auto.

Personally, I would recommend a Hornady die set. I like the bullet seating adjustments, seating sleeves, and lock rings a lot better. They will work just fine in your rock chucker.

Last edited by a moderator:
The small base is full length; it just means it sizes the entire cartridge to minimum saami specs. Some people reccomended small base dies for semi automatic firearms, i have not found this to be the case. And i feel it can over work the brass. YMMV

Both small base or fully length will work fine, just make sure you steer clear of neck sizing dies in a semi auto.

Personally, I would recommend a Hornady die set. I like the bullet seating adjustments, seating sleeves, and lock rings a lot better. They will work just fine in your rock chucker.
Its funny because i work in a power plant for last 25 years. we use algebra and trig on a daily basis. Im a little smart. But i apparently cannot go on the Hornady website and find a .223 die set. It has search options and all. I just could not seem to make it happen

This one?

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set, 223 REM (.224) (546228) - Caliber Specific Reloading Equipment for Handloaders with Full Length Sizer Die, Seating Die, Sure-Loc Rings, & Storage Box https://a.co/d/7Dhh5Lc

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would agree. Typically my favorite rifle dies are Forster, but I find Hornady better suited for high volume loading which AR will generally become.

Any of the regular die sets from the big name makers will do the job, even Lee, though I won't recommend them, I don't like their features.

I've been using RCBS .223 dies (standard FL sizer, not small base) since the 80s. Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady and lots of others will do fine if you set them up and use them properly.

Find a set with features that you like, or has commonality with other dies you're already using and forget the price. Unless YOU screw them up, dies are a product you only need to buy once, and a few years (or maybe months :D) down the road, a handful of dollars difference in the price doesn't make any real difference.

I will recommend one Lee product, if you reload GI brass. The decapping punch and base set. There are two sizes, one for .22, and one for .30. They are cheap, work great and are virtually indestructible. Punch out crimped in primers, with the Lee set and a hammer, saves risk to the sizer die decapping pin.

Lee are fine - I've done about 5k rounds with the Lee dies set. You don't need small base resizing.

Now you get to struggle adjusting your seating/crimp die if you want to crimp into the cannelure - Lee has a much better solution.

After you get a case stuck in the sizing die, buy the Lee die set.

Last edited:
Now you get to struggle adjusting your seating/crimp die if you want to crimp into the cannelure

Why would you struggle?? It's a simple, straightforward process.

If you get a case stuck in the sizing die, you did something wrong, and nobody's die set will stop you from making that mistake again. Not Lee, not anyone, no one but YOU can fix your mistake.

Lee are fine - I've done about 5k rounds with the Lee dies set. You don't need small base resizing.

Now you get to struggle adjusting your seating/crimp die if you want to crimp into the cannelure - Lee has a much better solution.

Out of curiosity what is the argument for using small case dies for AR rounds? The videos I’ve seen using them just say to use them and no real reason why

Out of curiosity what is the argument for using small case dies for AR rounds? The videos I’ve seen using them just say to use them and no real reason why
The idea is that, semi automatic firearms need loose tolerances to be reliable. So if you make the brass as small as possible to will fit into the chamber easier and thus be more reliable over all. I have not found this to be needed in my experience with several firearms in several different cartridges.

The only way i could see you needed a small base die set if if you got a rifle with a super tight match chamber and were having problems getting rounds to chamber. But i would expect most die makers make their dies so they will run reliability in whatever type of firearm they typically run in.

Last edited:
"I will recommend one Lee product, if you reload GI brass. The decapping punch and base set. There are two sizes, one for .22, and one for .30. They are cheap, work great and are virtually indestructible. Punch out crimped in primers, with the Lee set and a hammer, saves risk to the sizer die decapping pin."

I'll second the motion on this. It's well worth it's low price. One thing I will add. I made a "bridge" of sorts from a piece of 2x4, two piece about 3 to 4" and one 5 to 6", whatever works best for you. I drilled a shallow hole dead center in the longer pice about 3/8" deep with an auger bit sized just right to accommodate the base of that decapping tool Then I drilled another hole dead center in the shallow hole to allow the spent primers to fall though. The two shorter pieces are used to make the legs for the bridge. Then find a can that will fit under the hole in the bridge to catch the spent primer and you're done. I used a can from one of the COSTCO roast beef the sell but whatever fit will work. Saves a lot of trouble sweeping up all those spent primers on the bench.
Paul B.

I have three sets of RCBS 223 Rem dies. The first set I bought was the regular 11101. At that time, I didn't even know there was a SB version.

Then, I decided I wanted to get a couple extra seater dies so I could keep them set for different bullets so I didn't have to re-adjust one die. So . . . rather than just buying a new seater die (two, actually) for like 3/4 the cost of a full set, I decided to just buy the full set (two, actually). By then, I knew about SB dies, so I said "what the heck" and bought the SB set (two, actually).

Mine are for my AR platform rifles. I don't notice the difference between the two - in any way. But I do use the SB die entirely now.

It's my understanding is that the only difference is that the SB die sizes the base of the case (near the head) a little more. My AR's don't notice the difference.

Thanks Nick. So sounds to me like the SB is not needed but won’t hurt either. I was hoping to find someone that has used both. Appreciate the answer!

You use the regular die unless, and until, you experience failures to feed. Then, at that time, you can try the small base die. You do not "need" both automatically.

Thanks Nick. So sounds to me like the SB is not needed but won’t hurt either. I was hoping to find someone that has used both. Appreciate the answer!
I have both, wanted to try small base. Never needed it though and i rarely use that die set anymore. No noticeable difference.

Back