223 Powders

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet I'll throw in a vote for WC 844. I have been using it for years in .223 with good results in bullet weights ranging from 55-70. It usually does have to be ordered in bulk though. If you can get your hands on some to test out and it works good for you, it can be had for as little as $13 a pound online when the deals are right. It is a pull-down powder which is similar to H335. The last batch I bought is slightly faster than H335.

WC 844 is in fact the powder used in the M-16 55 gr FMJ M193 round. Yes, pull-down bulk powders vary in actual burn rate more so than H335, the cannister version. It is excellent for general purpose 223 ammo, especially 55 gr.
I bought an 8lb jug and have used about half of it. No complaints. It is the right burn rate that if you were to only have one powder for 223 and 308 it is entirely passable. Other powders like that are AA 2460 (once available as bulk Data Powder 2230-C). H. BLC(2) is another; it was the standard military 7.62 powder.

Since I now have more guns in more calibers, I buy more 1 lb-ers of cannister powders in specific burn rates for specific purposes.

Sometimes this place has those bulk powders:
http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html
I would recommend against the slower ones like WC 872, 860, etc. used in 50 Cal and 20mm Vulcan. They have very limited applications unless you have a 50 cal.

Thanks guys for the responses. There is definitely a lot to choose from, guess at the moment will have to use what I have and hopefully I can catch more when Cabela's gets restocked. Sure trying to avoid buying online, but do know not all are offered at Cabela's either. Sure have to read up of the powders.

For many years, long before the Boutique powders influx (read ++$ for a miniscule alleged performance enhancement), Win 748 ruled the firing line on the Nat'l Match Courses I shot (200, 300, & 600 yds) with a Colt Match Target AR. Best regards Rod

Back